Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Struasser news

Comments

• Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,294
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

guntlove said:

If Jimmy can’t find coaches who can recruit as well as coach then he can fuck off straight to hell.

Huff recruits like a madman, but seems mediocre as a coach. Strausser was a really good coach, but a fucking disaster as a recruiter.

We shouldn’t have to settle for one or the other. Get a dude who can do both. It’s not that complicated.

There aren’t that many that are really good at both. Should definitely be the goal. The outrage over those that can’t recruit is 100X greater than those that can recruit but can’t coach.
    The results are more tangible in recruiting. It’s easier for a fan to be able to determine which recruits a coach was primarily responsible for and which other schools that coach out recruited.

With coaching unless you are at the practices and in the meetings you don’t really know whose fault it is the offense is broken or who should get the most credit for the successful defense.

Example A being Jonathon Smith who everyone hated but it turns out he may have been held back by Petersen.
    Yeah when it comes to position coaches its extremely difficult to judge if they are good at 'coaching'. I just don't think the difference in coaching ability is really that different from one wide receiver coach to another.

Offensive and defensive coordinators matter a ton, but for everyone else I'm with Sonics that its 75% recruiting.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

guntlove said:

If Jimmy can’t find coaches who can recruit as well as coach then he can fuck off straight to hell.

Huff recruits like a madman, but seems mediocre as a coach. Strausser was a really good coach, but a fucking disaster as a recruiter.

We shouldn’t have to settle for one or the other. Get a dude who can do both. It’s not that complicated.

There aren’t that many that are really good at both. Should definitely be the goal. The outrage over those that can’t recruit is 100X greater than those that can recruit but can’t coach.
    If you’re good at both then you don’t stay as a position coach very long. See Sam Pittman
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    guntlove said:

This mother fucker all up in here acting like coaching AND recruiting is microwave popcorn or some shit.
  • Options
    LongDukDongLongDukDong Member Posts: 1,210
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Guntlove is a giant faggot
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I am blessed to call gunt a cyber fren.

Fuck off.
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Hurtful.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I’m hearing Bob Cozzetto is available but be careful because you wouldn’t want to see him angry.

Can we get him cheaper than his volatile brother Dan?
    Huh?
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    edited January 2020

guntlove said:

The results are more tangible in recruiting. It’s easier for a fan to be able to determine which recruits a coach was primarily responsible for and which other schools that coach out recruited.

With coaching unless you are at the practices and in the meetings you don’t really know whose fault it is the offense is broken or who should get the most credit for the successful defense.

Example A being Jonathon Smith who everyone hated but it turns out he may have been held back by Petersen.
    Yeah when it comes to position coaches its extremely difficult to judge if they are good at 'coaching'. I just don't think the difference in coaching ability is really that different from one wide receiver coach to another.

Offensive and defensive coordinators matter a ton, but for everyone else I'm with Sonics that its 75% recruiting.
    Disagree.

When it comes to complete scheme collapse its hard to tell what the failure actually is, but even then its narrowed down to either the HC or the OC.

When it comes to evaluating coaching ability of position coaches for a team you watch its incredibly easy...

Any fucktard can look at our games over a season and determine;

QB coaching and group management has been horrible to non-existent
    WR coaching and group management has been terrible to bad
    OL coaching and group management has been average
    RB coaching and group management has been decent
    TE coaching and group management has been great

Its not rocket science. Do the players get better the longer they are in the program? How often do players exceed their expectations or appear to max out their physical abilities? How often do their players flame out? Does their unit not have obvious fuckups?

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Emoterman said:

guntlove said:

Or just have two OL coaches or perhaps an OL/TE coach. Most important position in the sport with a huge group of players; don't really know how a TE coach keeps themselves busy with like 5 players they're responsible for.
    I thought bringing in a better OL coach and keeping Huff with something like this would have been good for us. Maybe the new TE coach will have a say in OL coaching. I think he played OL in college.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,214
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

guntlove said:

Can we apply that logic to Donovan at Penn State or no?
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,294
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Houhusky said:

guntlove said:

Disagree.

When it comes to complete scheme collapse its hard to tell what the failure actually is, but even then its narrowed down to either the HC or the OC.

When it comes to evaluating coaching ability of position coaches for a team you watch its incredibly easy...

Its not rocket science. Do the players get better the longer they are in the program? How often do players exceed their expectations or appear to max out their physical abilities? How often do their players flame out? Does their unit not have obvious fuckups?

But all these questions don't fall directly to the position coach. There's so many other variables like program culture, strength program, offensive/defensive schemes, player work ethic. Especially when you don't have a large sample size of results with someone like Junior Adams I don't think its fair to judge his 'coaching' at all.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Gladstone said:

jecornel said:

I'm hearing Donovan is lobbying for him to come back to Washington with his NFL background.

He's and X's and O's kind of guy.

That would be cool. I just looked up Strausser. OL coach of the Colts, an OL that gave up the fewest sacks in the NFL. The talent is already here. Fuck what anybody says, Strausser is a huge upgrade over Huff coaching wise.

Edit: 6th in rushing too. Strausser can coach. 2016 was still our best OL. I know PFF has said otherwise, but Coleman had huge holes that year almost every game.

Alabama was the OL’s only shitty game and that was a loaded front 7. We haven’t faced one close to as good since.
    No one is fact checking this post and it's stated so matter-of-factly and has upvotes I guess I will respond.

Indy gave up the least amount of sacks in the league...in 2018, then they hired Strausser this year and they were middle of the league. (18 sacks given up in 18, 32 in 2019). This is with Quentin 'potentially best guard in the past 20 years' Nelson and Costanzo on the left side.

11th in the league in yards per rush. 7th total rush yards with the 5th most rush attempts.

Strausser is a pretty good OL coach and 2016 is the best OL we've had in years. But as much as you like to pooh-pooh recruiting, the formula for winning natties has been face-slappingly obvious pretty much the whole decade: you need top tier talent to get over the hump. Strausser was failing hard here in recruiting and needed to go.
    There goes Gladstone let truth get in a way of a good story
  • Options

Houhusky said:

guntlove said:

Disagree.

I guess I’m a fucktard then because I can’t distinguish whether our TE group’s success is due to our scheme or PaoPao’s brilliant teaching abilities.

I also can’t distinguish whether our WRs suck because of said scheme, QB problems, poor coaching, playing the wrong guys, or just lack of talent (abundance.)

It’s all interrelated.
    You cant?

Paopao coached TEs at UW from 2011 till present... basically every TE that he was around while at UW is CURRENTLY in the NFL or well on their way and produced on the field with the opportunities given despite people constantly complaining that our scheme didnt use TEs nearly enough.

ASJ, Perkins, Daniels, Sample, Dissly, Byrant, Sample, Kizer, Otton

Paopaos biggest knock was his recruiting... I dont know how you could see the positive results on the field and the success his players have had after UW despite apparently bringing in subpar talent and not be able to figure it out?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2020
    Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

guntlove said:

Disagree.

I guess I’m a fucktard then because I can’t distinguish whether our TE group’s success is due to our scheme or PaoPao’s brilliant teaching abilities.

I also can’t distinguish whether our WRs suck because of said scheme, QB problems, poor coaching, playing the wrong guys, or just lack of talent (abundance.)

It’s all interrelated.
    You cant?

Paopao coached TEs at UW from 2011 till present... basically every TE that he was around while at UW is CURRENTLY in the NFL or well on their way and produced on the field with the opportunities given despite people constantly complaining that our scheme didnt use TEs nearly enough.

Paopaos biggest knock was his recruiting... I dont know how you could see the positive results on the field and the success his players have had after UW despite apparently bringing in subpar talent and not be able to figure it out?
    Corey Luciano false start was due to lack of bodies in the TE room. Having 1 good TE is not good enough when you play with 2 or 3 at a time
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    FireCohen said:

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

guntlove said:

Disagree.

It’s all interrelated.
    You cant?

Corey Luciano false start was due to lack of bodies in the TE room. Having 1 good TE is not good enough when you play with 2 or 3 at a time
    what does one converted player during one play have to do with the overall coaching ability of a position coach across 6+ years?

The "lack of bodies" is directly related to recruiting not his coaching/teaching/development ability.