Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

So was the 2020 recruiting class special???

2»

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,922 Swaye's Wigwam
    yes
    dnc said:

chuck said:

I'll go ahead and doog here.

The offensive class is elite:
    - There are three elite offensive linemen, another 4* OL who is only a short notch below those three, and a nice 3* tackle project added late for a good measure.
    - There are two elite WR, one of whom is a 5* prospect by any objective measure other than his actual * ranking, and one who is a really rare combo of size and speed. A third, huge and physical WR is coming off of ACL surgery.
    - There is one elite TE and one project TE.
    - The QB, Garbers, shouldn't be dismissed. He has decent size and arm talent and above average mobility and toughness. At a minimum he's a talented and capable backup with the tools to step in and win a tough game.
    - Running back...meh but Sunday should be a useful part of a RB committee with his strength.

Yes, defensive recruiting fails to measure up. It's not a void though. There's some star fucking going on when it comes to the defensive backs otherwise people would be more excited about them. There is an elite edge rusher and at least one solid LB coming in.

The downsides, DL and ILB, can't be ignored but they dont need to be. Its exceedingly rare for a program not in the SEC or named tOSU or USC to recruit elite classes at every position. UW has never done it. Oregon has never done it. All of the hand ringing over a couple of 5* level guys looking at Oregon ignores the fact that those guys, if they even go to Oregon, are surrounded by a class similar to UWs.

End rant. That's a lot to type on my phone.

Too down on Sam Adams but otherwise I'm pretty much with all of this.
    I was drawing a blank trying to remember the other RB. Funny. I love Adams too. I think he's a utility back or slot type guy rather than a traditional tail back but hes definitely a good football player.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,922 Swaye's Wigwam
    yes

Gladstone said:

Never, ever whiff on an entire position group. I don't care how many we took last year. Inexcusable.

I still think we get someone for the DL. Losing Carlton really sucks. He was the one to get.
    They need to pull a rabbit out of the hat somehow at DL. Getting nobody is unacceptable in spite of what I typed previously.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    but 2021 will be (according to Damone "DOOOG"
    Might as well not even play the game
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,371 Swaye's Wigwam
    If they manage to pull said rabbit out of a hat at DL I'll be happy with the class. We get to see between now and February if Montlake Jimmy can do a better job of selling the program than the previous fearless leader.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,371 Swaye's Wigwam

WRDawg said:

All these posts and only one mention about linebackers... biggest need this year! How can Oregon possibly be signing two 5* top 10-20 talents at linebacker and we settle for two unknown’s/projects? Sad day for Washington really.

Because Bob Gregory is our LB coach. Jackson Sirmon is the last recruit he pulled in and that was two years ago. It's pathetic and he needs to go but I don't know if Jimmy has the balls to make that call.
    If he doesn't then fire him now instead of later.
  • sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    edited December 2019
    no

WRDawg said:

All these posts and only one mention about linebackers... biggest need this year! How can Oregon possibly be signing two 5* top 10-20 talents at linebacker and we settle for two unknown’s/projects? Sad day for Washington really.

Because Bob Gregory is our LB coach. Jackson Sirmon is the last recruit he pulled in and that was two years ago. It's pathetic and he needs to go but I don't know if Jimmy has the balls to make that call.
    I hope he's gone after the bowl game but loyalty in the coaching world is hard to break and Bob has been with Jimmy for over eight years so I am not getting my hopes up.
  • whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088

WRDawg said:

I hope he's gone after the bowl game but loyalty in the coaching world is hard to break and Bob has been with Jimmy for over eight years so I am not getting my hopes up.
    If that's the case, then how is Jimmy not Chris Petersen Part II? Jesus make him the special teams coach if you have to but get a position coach that can recruit.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    no
    WRDawg said:

Caz Pete was too big of a pussy to fire his buddy Gregory,

WRDawg said:

Cougs call him noballz for a reason. Bob is staying
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    whuggy said:

WRDawg said:

If that's the case, then how is Jimmy not Chris Petersen Part II? Jesus make him the special teams coach if you have to but get a position coach that can recruit.

Oh, and about Bob...

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    no

WRDawg said:

I want him to go too, but the fishing done on when you give credit to a coach or not for recruiting a player is baffling. Kaho and Heimuli signed. I agree they didn’t come to UW because of Bob Gregory, but he wasn’t a negative influence either. Gregory has gotten quite a few 4 star guys.
  • Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    no

WRDawg said:

You really think Jimmy doesn't have the balls to fire Gregory after the abomination at LB this year and Whoregon signing Sewell and now you're saying Flowe?

No way Jimmy doesn't notice this shit and how Cristo is out-recruiting him. He has to know his holes on staff, especially when he and Malloe have been carrying this entire team's lunch on the recruiting trail the last three years.
  • sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    edited December 2019
    no
    Beno4Life said:

WRDawg said:

You really think Jimmy doesn't have the balls to fire Gregory after the abomination at LB this year and Whoregon signing Sewell and now you're saying Flowe?

No way Jimmy doesn't notice this shit and how Cristo is out-recruiting him. He has to know his holes on staff, especially when he and Malloe have been carrying this entire team's lunch on the recruiting trail the last three years.
    He's been with Bob for over eight years, they are good friends, Bob is respected in the coaching community and this is the first year where our LB's were terrible so yeah I can see him getting a pass this year but i'm really hoping i'm wrong.
  • KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,049
    no

Beno4Life said:

WRDawg said:

He's been with Bob for over eight years, they are good friends, Bob is respected in the coaching community and this is the first year where our LB's were terrible so yeah I can see him getting a pass this year but i'm really hoping i'm wrong.
    What's gonna happen @sonics1993 is we will have a bounce back year at the LB position. We have 7 playable guys so only 3 have to be good. We will land Calvert, Simon and Wynden in 2021 and all will be forgotten by Lake.
  • Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    no
    Cristo is about to sign Flowe and Sewell after signing Thibodeaux last year. You really think we're landing Calvert, Simon, and Wynden?

That's why Bob's got to go. Jimmy will do it. In fact, I feel more confident that he'll let Bob go than Bush.