Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Is Petersen just the latest

In a long line of BSU “great coaches” who ran up impressive records while there to be less than impressive in the power 5?

Seems like it.

Comments

• NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited November 2019

In a long line of BSU “great coaches” who ran up impressive records while there to be less than impressive in the power 5?

Seems like it.

BSU is still good...
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    He is by far the best of the BSU guys to move up. Helfrich has the greatest accomplishments. He wasn't a head coach there but would have been had he stuck around and he would have killed it. Koetter comes in as a strong #3, he never won a game in the state of California, but he won just enough to get an extension and get fired right after.

Funny story about Koetter at ASU. A good friend of mine was the head coach of the program in the Phoenix metro that basically started high school recruiting there. Koetter was getting a lot of heat for not being able to recruit Phoenix, because no one besides Frank Kush has ever been able to. So, he hires my buddy on as their WR coach. He had all the ties to the Phoenix kids so that's a sound move by Koetter. Kind of a no brainer decision for my buddy. Koetter just got an extension so job security is there, decent little pay bump, and it's DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL BROTHA!!!

Koetter gets canned right after. The whole staff gets let go. Buddy just figures he will get his old job back. The new coach in his old job is killing it, so no dice there. Everyone else in the metro hated him because of his old shenanigans. It pretty much ruined his career.

Funny stuff.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Mosster47 said:

He is by far the best of the BSU guys to move up. Helfrich has the greatest accomplishments. He wasn't a head coach there but would have been had he stuck around and he would have killed it. Koetter comes in as a strong #3, he never won a game in the state of California, but he won just enough to get an extension and get fired right after.

Funny story about Koetter at ASU. A good friend of mine was the head coach of the program in the Phoenix metro that basically started high school recruiting there. Koetter was getting a lot of heat for not being able to recruit Phoenix, because no one besides Frank Kush has ever been able to. So, he hires my buddy on as their WR coach. He had all the ties to the Phoenix kids so that's a sound move by Koetter. Kind of a no brainer decision for my buddy. Koetter just got an extension so job security is there, decent little pay bump, and it's DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL BROTHA!!!

Koetter gets canned right after. The whole staff gets let go. Buddy just figures he will get his old job back. The new coach in his old job is killing it, so no dice there. Everyone else in the metro hated him because of his old shenanigans. It pretty much ruined his career.

Funny stuff.

So he’s the tallest midget in the circus?
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,873 Standard Supporter
    edited November 2019

We need more from Peterman, but on paper he’s not like those coaches. UW has gotten a lot better since Pete took over.

Except for the NY6 Bowl game embarrassments, Pete's teams are always competitive and don't get blown out, especially on the road, like every coach prior to him, going back to Rick. If they could just step up and make plays when needed, on the O and the D, instead of folding late in the game, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The problem is in the Process. It's about the players in the process and UW's aren't playing well enough to get the job done when it counts. Some is physical and a lot is mental, but it isn't youth or immaturity. It seems to be a lack of focus and will.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,334 Founders Club
    edited November 2019
    I remember from Chuck Knox's autobiography, when he talked about signing an aging free agent just because the guy was nuts and would come in and tear up meeting rooms and get in guys' faces. Not an OKG.

We need more from Peterman, but on paper he’s not like those coaches. UW has gotten a lot better since Pete took over.

Except for the NY6 Bowl game embarrassments, Pete's teams are always competitive and don't get blown out, especially on the road, like every coach prior to him, going back to Rick. If they could just step up and make plays when needed, on the O and the D, instead of folding late in the game, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The problem is in the Process. It's about the players in the process and UW's aren't playing well enough to get the job done when it counts. Some is physical and a lot is mental, but it isn't youth or immaturity. It seems to be a lack of focus and will.
    WeAreANotGettingBlownOutSchool
    Slightly better than "WeGetBlownOutInEveryRoadGame."
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

I guess. Regardless it’s loser talk.

I guess. Regardless it’s loser talk.
    I thought you could read. Was I wrong?
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,332 Swaye's Wigwam
    I’m disappointed as everyone else in this year. But just so I understand.

The previous three years of Husky football has been the greatest run in just about 30 years. But today he sucks and is overrated?
  • SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,960 Founders Club
    HuskyJW said:

The previous three years of Husky football has been the greatest run in just about 30 years. But today he sucks and is overrated?

Exactly.
    HuskyJW said:

Three terrible NY6 bowl performances in a row, proved the relative weakness of the Pac12 vs the rest of the Power 5 conferences. So "greatest run" needs to be put in context.

The problem with Pete is his inability to put his best players to their best use. It's been a consistent theme throughout his tenure, but this year it really sticks out. He has enough talent to be in positions to win every game, but he's lost all the big ones. ALL THE BIG ONES!

Pete needs to smell the coffee, modify his philosophy or "process" to conform to his player's talents or deficits, and stop wasting time pounding square pegs into round holes, because that's what worked for Boise State in the Mountain West. It's year 6. It's time.
  • JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,543 Founders Club

Mosster47 said:

Funny stuff.

So he’s the tallest midget in the circus?
    He was using lifts. Thats a no-no
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    if the use of the WR squad and the ILB play is fireable offense
  • Del_GriffithDel_Griffith Member Posts: 128
    No question. Knowing next season will be a fucking disaster as well, in 7 seasons at UW Beta Pete will have only won 2x conference titles and one single bowl game. NEXT.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    Koetter was always a legit OC.