Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Pete’s plunger guard

124»

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,261
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    That first Miami team beat Nebraska in a similar fashion to James' first Rose Bowl win. We call it a trick whip

Nebraska was huge and powerful and ran over everyone so Miami danced like a butterfly and stung like a bee. The Huskers thought they had an easy win and by the time they woke up they were a couple of seconds and yards short of coming back to win.

Osborne would have won the natty with a tie but he went for two. He should be applauded for that

It was a great win.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Emoterman said:

FirePete said:

Or we could agree that lack of plungerings is a sign of good coaching. How many times did DJ get plungered in 18 years? Not very many. Lambo, Rick, Gilbyham and Sark all got curb stomped over and over.

beta mentally. win or gtfo. pete has a great defense, but we are paying him $7 mill put a team that has special team / offense / defense. he only delivering on 1/3 of the equation. I just hope this year the special team will get better because depth at LB and DB is better. offese will get better because ur downsyndrome of a QB not suiting up.
    Disagree. I think getting plungered regularly is more of a beta program symptom than Pete going 0-3 vs Satan, NFL Rookie of the Year, and Urbs.

Pete is a great coach, but not a miracle worker. Who in college football is? Name me one.

Urbs

Bull shit @creepycoug . Urbs didn't win his first NT in 2006 with top 25 recruiting classes. Florida was stacking top 5 classes before he took the jerb. Look it up.

HOF. Top 2 corch of the modern era of CFP, yes. Miracle worker winning NTs with non blue blood level talent, NO.
    You see? It's this level of disrespect that has caused me to withhold my campaign support.

I meant no dis-respeck. I am trying to dispell this myth that Urbs and Saban "walk on water". They are great coaches who get elite talent and get said talent to live up to expectations. But neither of their successes at multiple schools have been "miraculous".
    Whosoever has done more at more places?

Saban was mediocrity personified at Michigan State and lasted just long enough for a cup o' coffee in the league.

Spurrier made Duke respectable, made Florida a power, and made S. Carolina respectable. Meyer did more.

Jimmy made Okie State respectable, built a power at Miami that would outlast him, and built Dallas up from nothing. If that's your guy, I'm listening.

DJ was solid at Kent State, built a program at Washington and opted for early retirement. Not in the convo.

Meyer did it at Bowling, Utah, won 2 at Florida, one of which was against an arguably better team, won one at Buck and slept walk through a Rose Bowl over Peterman.

If it ain't Meyer it's nobody.
    How are you of all people not throwing this guy's hat in the ring?

No telling what he could have accomplished had he stayed. He was a good coach, but he sure didn't prove that he could match what Urbs has done at multiple stops. What else did he ever do?

I'll grant you that the '83 Miami team was not the talent buffet that future Miami teams would become, but there were some great players on that team who went on to have really solid NFL careers. What made that happen as much as anything was having an insanely accurate passing QB who had big brass balls in Bernie Kosar, a first round pick at WR in Eddie Brown, and a lunch pale TE in Glenn Dennison. Miami ran a pro set offense and their passing game made Nebraska feel like they were on Mars. Couple that with a couple of solid running backs who did their part, and you have what was the backbone of that upset. Those powerful Big 8 Nebraska and Oklahoma State teams didn't see sophisticated passing until they got into January, and they ran into it with that Miami team.

I think Johnson had the better body of work, though he won only one title there himself.
    It wasn't the talent buffet of later teams, but @creepycoug Howard was still a revolutionary when it came to TBSing and that's what got them their first NT. It doesn't matter how good of a corch you are - you still need a certain level of talent to win NT's and Pete's finally bringing in those classes now.
    Ok, I'm going to axe: what is "TBSing"?

Also, * on previous poast: Oklahoma, not Okie State.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Emoterman said:

FirePete said:

Or we could agree that lack of plungerings is a sign of good coaching. How many times did DJ get plungered in 18 years? Not very many. Lambo, Rick, Gilbyham and Sark all got curb stomped over and over.

beta mentally. win or gtfo. pete has a great defense, but we are paying him $7 mill put a team that has special team / offense / defense. he only delivering on 1/3 of the equation. I just hope this year the special team will get better because depth at LB and DB is better. offese will get better because ur downsyndrome of a QB not suiting up.
    Disagree. I think getting plungered regularly is more of a beta program symptom than Pete going 0-3 vs Satan, NFL Rookie of the Year, and Urbs.

Pete is a great coach, but not a miracle worker. Who in college football is? Name me one.

Urbs

Bull shit @creepycoug . Urbs didn't win his first NT in 2006 with top 25 recruiting classes. Florida was stacking top 5 classes before he took the jerb. Look it up.

HOF. Top 2 corch of the modern era of CFP, yes. Miracle worker winning NTs with non blue blood level talent, NO.
    You see? It's this level of disrespect that has caused me to withhold my campaign support.

I meant no dis-respeck. I am trying to dispell this myth that Urbs and Saban "walk on water". They are great coaches who get elite talent and get said talent to live up to expectations. But neither of their successes at multiple schools have been "miraculous".

Saban was mediocrity personified at Michigan State and lasted just long enough for a cup o' coffee in the league.

Spurrier made Duke respectable, made Florida a power, and made S. Carolina respectable. Meyer did more.

Jimmy made Okie State respectable, built a power at Miami that would outlast him, and built Dallas up from nothing. If that's your guy, I'm listening.

DJ was solid at Kent State, built a program at Washington and opted for early retirement. Not in the convo.

Meyer did it at Bowling, Utah, won 2 at Florida, one of which was against an arguably better team, won one at Buck and slept walk through a Rose Bowl over Peterman.

No telling what he could have accomplished had he stayed. He was a good coach, but he sure didn't prove that he could match what Urbs has done at multiple stops. What else did he ever do?

I'll grant you that the '83 Miami team was not the talent buffet that future Miami teams would become, but there were some great players on that team who went on to have really solid NFL careers. What made that happen as much as anything was having an insanely accurate passing QB who had big brass balls in Bernie Kosar, a first round pick at WR in Eddie Brown, and a lunch pale TE in Glenn Dennison. Miami ran a pro set offense and their passing game made Nebraska feel like they were on Mars. Couple that with a couple of solid running backs who did their part, and you have what was the backbone of that upset. Those powerful Big 8 Nebraska and Oklahoma State teams didn't see sophisticated passing until they got into January, and they ran into it with that Miami team.

I think Johnson had the better body of work, though he won only one title there himself.
    It wasn't the talent buffet of later teams, but @creepycoug Howard was still a revolutionary when it came to TBSing and that's what got them their first NT. It doesn't matter how good of a corch you are - you still need a certain level of talent to win NT's and Pete's finally bringing in those classes now.
    Ok, I'm going to axe: what is "TBSing"?

Also, * on previous poast: Oklahoma, not Okie State.
    Enumclaw Truck Stop Bored
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited August 2019

Emoterman said:

FirePete said:

Urbs

At Louisville:

After going 8–24–1 in his first three years, Schnellenberger was able to turn the program around and go 24–9–1 the next three seasons. In 10 years, he led the Cardinals to their fourth and fifth bowl games in school history. They won them both, including a 34–7 thrashing of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the 1991 Fiesta Bowl, capping a 10–1–1 season and the school's first-ever appearance in a final poll (11th). The Fiesta Bowl appearance was the school's first-ever New Year's Day bowl game.

At FAU:

After a few years out of the limelight, Schnellenberger resurfaced in 1998. At age 64 he was named director of football operations for Florida Atlantic University, with the task of building a football program from scratch: coming up with a strategic plan, raising funds and selecting a coach. He was able to raise $13 million in pledges (equivalent to $19.98 million in 2018) , lobbied the state legislature, and by the time then-FAU President, Anthony Catanese, asked him to find a coach in 1999, Schnellenberger selected himself. Schnellenberger described his interest in FAU by noting "This one is so different. The others, we were working with adopted kids. These were our kids."[8]

For the next two years, Schnellenberger led the fledgling team through fund-raising, recruiting and practice. For their first practice in 2000, the Owls had 160 walk-ons and 22 scholarship players. FAU football played their first game on September 1, 2001, losing to Slippery Rock 40–7 after the FAU administration failed to certify 13 Owls starters in time to play. The very next game the Owls upset the No. 22 team in I-AA, Bethune–Cookman, finishing their first season 4–6. They regressed to 2–9 the following season, but went 11–3 and made the I-AA semifinals in their third. During their fourth season, the Owls posted a 9–3 record while transitioning to Division I-A, but were ineligible for both a bowl game and the I-AA playoffs because of their transitioning status.[8]

After playing four years at the Division I-AA level, FAU moved to the Sun Belt Conference and Division I-A level in 2005. This goal had been one of Schnellenberger's primary objectives upon creation of the program. After two seasons in the Sun Belt, FAU football won the 2007 Conference title and secured its first ever bowl invitation, defeating Memphis 44–27 in the New Orleans Bowl. In just the seventh year of the football program's history, and the third year playing in Division I-A, Florida Atlantic set an NCAA record by becoming the youngest program ever to receive an invitation to a bowl game. For his success in 2007, Coach Schnellenberger was awarded the Sun Belt Conference Coach of the Year.

In 2008, Schnellenberger led his 6-6 FAU Owls to a post-season bid at the Motor City Bowl against the Central Michigan Chippewas. This marked the first time a 6-6 Sun Belt Conference team that had not won the Conference Championship was invited to a post-season bowl. Although the Owls were underdogs, Coach Schnellenberger extended his post-season bowl record to 6-0, the most of any coach without a loss, with a 24-21 win.

He admittedly did fag out at Oklahoma, but basically building/resetting three programs either literally or figuratively from scratch is pretty impressive.

All that being said, Urban is hands down the winner here. Just thought Howard deserves a shout.
  • Options
    Oklahoma was what my mind went to, and had forgotten about Louisville. I think Schnelly (I like to call him Schnelly) had a knack for building, no doubt.

I have a bias for Johnson for several reasons. One, I've yet to see his equal as a talent evaluator. What he did with the Minnesota Walker trade draft picks is all time NFL shit. And some of Miami's biggest names ever were guys he found at figurative recruiting truck stops. Russell Maryland - nobody wanted him. Steve Walsh - one other P5 offer. Cortez Kennedy - some CC in Arkansas. The list goes on. There are some big names whose recruiting would surprise you.

Two, he built Miami into a defensive culture program. His D's were downright fucking nasty. In so doing, he revolutionized the game, putting slightly smaller but ever so much faster guys in all positions on the defensive side of the ball. Nobody did that before Jimmy. Having fast twitch guys on the D line by design was new, and as @RaceBannon alluded to earlier, it was part of the revolution that killed the option - both the power I option (Nebraska) and the bone (I like to call it the bone) at Okie. Miami was one of the first teams, if not THE first team, that established a universal rep. for "you can't run around them" defense. And they were physical af too.

Three, he believed as a first order of bidness establishing "break your will," physical run games. I loved those teams.

Four, he was just so fucking outwardly competitive that it was infectious. Dude hated to lose like few other coaches I've seen.

Lastly, he really turned Miami loose and let the boys be who they wanted to be, all the while maintaining his unquestioned authority as head zoo keeper. The shit talking was fantastic, Miami was afraid of absolutely nobody in the country, ever, and as HC he reflected that. He made no apologies to anybody, ever, set fire to the cfb establishment (they're still crying in South Bend over how badly Jimmy treated Gerry Faust - fuck off Gerry Faust!), and was an unbending advocate for his players. He and the university President fucking HATED each other, and if you had any visibility into the personality of the douche canoe that was Tad Foote III (can a name be any more ghey?), you'd love Jimmy for hating on him so much, as well as for pushing his buttons, which he did almost daily.

Johnson himself has said he cried like a baby on his way to the airport after leaving Miami for Dallas because he knew he'd never be that professionally happy ever again. As a cfb fan, I haven't been either. Even with all the success in Dallas, he himself will tell you Miami was a better gig, and eventually his fall out with Jones would prove that out.
  • Options

That first Miami team beat Nebraska in a similar fashion to James' first Rose Bowl win. We call it a trick whip

Nebraska was huge and powerful and ran over everyone so Miami danced like a butterfly and stung like a bee. The Huskers thought they had an easy win and by the time they woke up they were a couple of seconds and yards short of coming back to win.

Osborne would have won the natty with a tie but he went for two. He should be applauded for that

It was a great win.

They couldn't stop the pass, and Keith Griffin (yep, Archie's boy) had an inspired game. A true freshman Alonzo Highsmith also showed he had brass plated balls and ran well on Red.

The defense held when they needed to. Rozier got his yards, but had a slow game for him. Miami did a good job keeping him and the Nebraska rushing game relatively in check for most of the game.

NEB: Mike Rozier 25-147. Smith 9-99, Steinkuhler 1-19, Gill 11-19.

Smith came in to relieve Rozier, who btw averaged almost 11 yds. per carry on the season. ELEVEN YARDS PER CARRY. Under 6 yds. per carry in the Orange Bowl.

I note that the best evidence that Miami was confounding this juggernaut Husker team were the desperation moves: having a safety and a corner switch jerseys to confuse Kosar (something I assume would be illegal today) and resorting to fumbleroosky in the first half to get a score. This was an offense that was hanging 70+ points on opponents routinely during the season back when that wasn't really a thing (and 84 on Minnesota).

Some Nebraska purists say that from a dominance standpoint the '83 team might have been better than the '95 team. I know that throttled almost everyone they played that year, with Oklahoma and Okie State being the only normal score games.
  • Options

It was a great win.

I miss college football damn it!! There's no reason why the Orange Bowl should be anyone but Oklahoma or Nebraska playing an at large.
    Me too. I miss all the debating and the mystery of how it will unfold. If you're in a Pac 10 championship situation, how is the Big 10 champ looking? Will you have a good claim to something for beating them? Then the mixing up with the Orange, Fiesta, and Sugar. It was all good shit and I miss it. I miss the regionality of it, which was part of the fun.