Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Redshirting Budda Baker(deserves own thread)

Those who think the Huskies should redshirt Budda Baker are fucking morons! I'm sorry but it's true. I understand wanting to redshirt McGary or any other lineman.

But Baker? He's going to be your best option at the starting safety spot considering UW is graduating both starting safeties from last year and have no depth behind them. He is also going to be on our kick return team as UW hasn't had a kick returner worth a shit in quite some time. He'll also be used on special packages on offense for fly sweeps to get more speed on the field.

What is the point in redshirting him? If he's worth a shit he's gone after year four anyways and if he is seeing a fifth year most likely his career was a bust.

Don't over think this guys. Baker will start game one as he should. Best player needs to play and I have no problem with true freshman playing who are ready like Kasen was, ASJ was, Parker was(He was our nickel corner until he got hurt), Shaq was, etc.

The guys I had a problem with burning their redshirts were Kevin Smith, Greg Ducre, Kohler/Porter(or any lineman), and even Sankey at the time.

There is no reason why this team can't be expected to win and achieve 10+ wins this year. So those who want Baker redshirted please stop this crazy talk.

Getting to be a bunch of revenge of the nerds around here. Time to close the fucking gates Derek.

Comments

• MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    fucking hell... getting all bent out of shape because of a debate about a true fucking freshman? jesus christ... close the gates is right derek.
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited February 2014
    Meek said:

fucking hell... getting all bent out of shape because of a debate about a true fucking freshman? jesus christ... close the gates is right derek.

I like to waste a year on the scout team of a blue chip recruit, knowing they will only be at the University for 4 years anyway... That's what I like to do. If ASJ took a redshirt his first year.... Guess what, he's still going to the NFL after 3-4 years in the program, so what's the fucking point? That way you can get two functional years instead of 3? I'll take your 3 plays on the field over scout team MVP anyday
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,576 Swaye's Wigwam
    Who the fuck wants to redshirt him? Need to field the best team we can, and do the best we can this season, if only for the sake of building momentum in the program. Who the fuck wants the, "Well just wait until our reshirt guys are ready to play next year" bs. Even with miles, I expect Williams to do good things given that he has better coaches now.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,713 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2014
    The best players should play.

If Buddha (I like to call him that) is one of the best safeties on the team, let him play.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,285 Founders Club
    If he's that good, who the hell would they be redshirting him for? The NFL? Screw that. If the kid is ready and can play, play him. Everyone wins. The problem with Ty and Sark was those two douche bags burned redshirts in hopes of saving their own asses. They played too many kids before they were ready. But Baker looks ready to go, and I trust Peterson to make the right call on this. He's a better man and more coach than Ty or Sark could ever hope to be. LIFPO, and if Baker starts as a true frosh, it will be because he's ready to go.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    Budda's so good,..... let him play now! Don't wait for September! Throw his collegiate cherry away even or especially before prom night. Shaq played without a redshirt and Budda will also.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,285 Founders Club
  • Mora should have redshirted Myles Jack last year. He's imploding that program before our very eyes.

I'm hearing he's rubbing people the wrong way.

Mora is like that hot girl at the bar flirting with everyone with her BF right there. We all know that doesn't end well.....
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    If Budda is ready he will play (most likely scenario by far). If he isn't ready he will redshirt. Either way it will be interesting.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,127
    Any player who can make a positive impact on the team should play regardless of year. Unfortunately, guys like Joe Mathis, Marcus Farria, Trevor Walker, Shane Brostek, KevinSmith, Greg Ducre and several others did not have a positive impact as true freshmen but were played anyways because Sark likes to play with his new toys. Instead all we got was a year of wasted eligibility for each of those guys. So yeah, if Buddha is a Sean Parker play him. If he is a James Sample redshirt him. I'm pretty sure he is the former.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Budda's the Nate Robinson or Kenny James of this class.

I miss Rick redshirting entire classes except one.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited February 2014

dnc said:

I used to always bring that up when Tybots would point out how Rick destroyed the program and I'd point out that in 2006 and 2007 Ty had 20+ 5th year SR's.

Of course that was dismissed as all Tybots hated facts.
    The program destroyer redshirted Brett Hundley for Mora, too, despite not having a QB.

One could argue that Rick was too conservative with his true frosh, but he's the exact kind of coach you want to follow, not the kind you hate to follow despite the popular doog narrative.

• sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208

If Buddha (I like to call him that) is one of the best safeties on the team, let him play.

Why is this so hard for some to understand?

• NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729

Why is this so hard for some to understand?

Same conversation, lather rinse repeat, Shaq..... You have to ask meek
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,945 Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

I used to always bring that up when Tybots would point out how Rick destroyed the program and I'd point out that in 2006 and 2007 Ty had 20+ 5th year SR's.

Of course that was dismissed as all Tybots hated facts.
    The program destroyer redshirted Brett Hundley for Mora, too, despite not having a QB.

One could argue that Rick was too conservative with his true frosh, but he's the exact kind of coach you want to follow, not the kind you hate to follow despite the popular doog narrative.

What about Reggie Williams though. Imagine how scary he would have been flexing at the other teams if he could have spent a RS year working out.

Thanks a lot Rick.

Seriously that's a pretty impressive thing about RN that I never really paid attention to. He was unusual in his willingness to sacrifice short term for long term gain when it came to players. We've been dealing with the opposite (burning RS for garbage time minutes, blocking on KO returns, etc) for so long that it's hard to imagine using that approach now.
  • DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 708
    Redshirting has lost its luster. NFL Rookie Salary cap makes Junior more likely to leave the program.