Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Redshirting Budda Baker(deserves own thread)

Comments

• DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 708
    One of the issues though is that people will often point to the lackluster results from a True Frosh as reason to why they should have Redshirted. I tend to think that there's still value in letting these kids play. Most scholarship players ended HS being the best or amongst the best players on their team. When they move up to major conference football and play they now realize that everyone on the field had superlative talent in HS. They must improve. Farria and Mathis playing gave them live game experience that they're just not going to replicate on a practice squad. They have a much better idea about what type of strength and technique and effort it's going to take to achieve at this level and that's intangible data that you cannot replicate anywhere but on a football field against an opponent.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

One of the issues though is that people will often point to the lackluster results from a True Frosh as reason to why they should have Redshirted. I tend to think that there's still value in letting these kids play. Most scholarship players ended HS being the best or amongst the best players on their team. When they move up to major conference football and play they now realize that everyone on the field had superlative talent in HS. They must improve. Farria and Mathis playing gave them live game experience that they're just not going to replicate on a practice squad. They have a much better idea about what type of strength and technique and effort it's going to take to achieve at this level and that's intangible data that you cannot replicate anywhere but on a football field against an opponent.

This just isn't true.
  • dnc said:

dnc said:

Budda's the Nate Robinson or Kenny James of this class.

I miss Rick redshirting entire classes except one.

I used to always bring that up when Tybots would point out how Rick destroyed the program and I'd point out that in 2006 and 2007 Ty had 20+ 5th year SR's.

Of course that was dismissed as all Tybots hated facts.
    The program destroyer redshirted Brett Hundley for Mora, too, despite not having a QB.

One could argue that Rick was too conservative with his true frosh, but he's the exact kind of coach you want to follow, not the kind you hate to follow despite the popular doog narrative.

So many untrue Doog narratives about Neuheisel much like how he never recruited OL yet he tend to bring in 5+ a year and always had at least one four star OL.

No way the program goes to 1-10, and 2-9 if he was still head coach. I'm not saying he was the greatest coach but there was talent there just we had awful coaches at the time.

Love how Lambo is known for setting up Rick nicely when he burned Tui's redshirt to be our backup QB. Year five and the backup QB was a true frosh all due to running Fortney from the program. Would have been nice to have had a fifth year Tui in 2001 when that team started off 7-1(only loss was when Picket was actually hurt).

Rick left the program in better shape than the one he inherited that is for sure. Doogs forget 2003 was supposed to be a special season. We even had one fucktard predict a national title that year. Hi Dave Samek!
  • chuck said:

Redshirting has lost its luster. NFL Rookie Salary cap makes Junior more likely to leave the program.

Redshirting star caliber players, those likely to be first day draft picks after three years, is a waste of a year. It isn't an easy task, but the coaches are being paid millions to show great judgement about who these few players are and make decisions about redshirting accordingly.

Playing a guy like Shaq Thompson as a freshman was a no brainer. Danny Shelton was probably a defensible decision. Guys like Josh Shirley, Elijah Qualls, Marcus Farria, etc (this list could go on for a mile just using the past 5 years) as freshmen were questionable decisions at best. There's no way to view Sark as anything but a failure in this aspect of his job at UW.

Baker is going to play and probably has to based not just on talent but also on the lack of good players on the roster at his position.

Josh Shirley was redshirted though. Not that it mattered since Sark never played him last year for whatever reason.

chuck said:

Redshirting has lost its luster. NFL Rookie Salary cap makes Junior more likely to leave the program.

Redshirting star caliber players, those likely to be first day draft picks after three years, is a waste of a year. It isn't an easy task, but the coaches are being paid millions to show great judgement about who these few players are and make decisions about redshirting accordingly.

Playing a guy like Shaq Thompson as a freshman was a no brainer. Danny Shelton was probably a defensible decision. Guys like Josh Shirley, Elijah Qualls, Marcus Farria, etc (this list could go on for a mile just using the past 5 years) as freshmen were questionable decisions at best. There's no way to view Sark as anything but a failure in this aspect of his job at UW.

Baker is going to play and probably has to based not just on talent but also on the lack of good players on the roster at his position.

Josh Shirley was redshirted though. Not that it mattered since Sark never played him last year for whatever reason.
    Qualls RS as well.
  • chuck said:

Qualls RS as well.
    Did he? I thought Sark burned his RS too against Boise. I remember there was two DL he burned their RS seasons for no fucking reason at all.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,945 Swaye's Wigwam
    Sounds like I didn't want to let facts get in the way of my argument (Qualls, Shirley).

You motherfuckers get the point though. There are plenty of good examples.
    Yup. Qualls maintained his RS. From Gohuskies.com

"2013: Did not see any game action as a true freshman, preserving a year of eligibility." under Qualls Bio.

chuck said:

Qualls RS as well.
    Did he? I thought Sark burned his RS too against Boise. I remember there was two DL he burned their RS seasons for no fucking reason at all.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,560 Founders Club
    edited February 2014

dnc said:

dnc said:

I used to always bring that up when Tybots would point out how Rick destroyed the program and I'd point out that in 2006 and 2007 Ty had 20+ 5th year SR's.

The program destroyer redshirted Brett Hundley for Mora, too, despite not having a QB.

One could argue that Rick was too conservative with his true frosh, but he's the exact kind of coach you want to follow, not the kind you hate to follow despite the popular doog narrative.

So many untrue Doog narratives about Neuheisel much like how he never recruited OL yet he tend to bring in 5+ a year and always had at least one four star OL.

No way the program goes to 1-10, and 2-9 if he was still head coach. I'm not saying he was the greatest coach but there was talent there just we had awful coaches at the time.

Love how Lambo is known for setting up Rick nicely when he burned Tui's redshirt to be our backup QB. Year five and the backup QB was a true frosh all due to running Fortney from the program. Would have been nice to have had a fifth year Tui in 2001 when that team started off 7-1(only loss was when Picket was actually hurt).

Rick left the program in better shape than the one he inherited that is for sure. Doogs forget 2003 was supposed to be a special season. We even had one fucktard predict a national title that year. Hi Dave Samek!
    pretty much agree with all of that

I didn't have a problem with firing him, more the aftermath. Some say Gilbertson should have been given interim status. I think most of those people are using 20/20 hindsight and were OK with what happened at the time. That said, he was a Kal reject and we could have done better. Ty was obviously the biggest disaster. Rick would have had a four or five win season, but there's no way the disaster that was 2004-2008 would have happened under his watch, or a competent coach's watch.

• HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

dnc said:

dnc said:

pretty much agree with all of that

I didn't have a problem with firing him, more the aftermath. Some say Gilbertson should have been given interim status. I think most of those people are using 20/20 hindsight and were OK with what happened at the time. That said, he was a Kal reject and we could have done better. Ty was obviously the biggest disaster. Rick would have had a four or five win season, but there's no way the disaster that was 2004-2008 would have happened under his watch, or a competent coach's watch.

Gilby was the biggest disaster. Its not even close.

He took a potential 9-10 win team and went 6-6 with it. They blew games to Arizona & Nevada. Should have at least won 8 games.

Then the next season he went 1-10 with a 4 win team.

Willingham took over a 1-10 team and went 2-9, 5-7 and 4-9. The metrics showed that the 06-07 sqauds were 500 teams. If not for suddenly senior, the 2006 team makes a bowl with a backup qb playing more than half the season. The 2007 team had 4 wins and blew three games (WSU, Hawaii, Arizona) which it had a 10 point lead in.

Ty was fired and then restored for 2008. How hard would someone work if they were fired and then un-fired?

2008 can be 1000% blamed on Mark Emmert who should be lynched in Red Square.

Ty sucked but Gilby was a total fucking disaster.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    This poast is toast. Silly from the get go
  • This poast is toast. Silly from the get go

Nice rhyming you got there DR. Seus.

Yes I need to quit being silly or next time I'll be banned no warning. Done.
  • GlobalGlobal Member Posts: 333
    Sark left us no juniors or seniors at safety after five years of recruiting. Indefensibly stupid.

Neuheisel has been the best example of a coach understanding the long term interests of the team in our post-DJ era. S
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Global said:

Sark left us no juniors or seniors at safety after five years of recruiting. Indefensibly stupid.

Neuheisel has been the best example of a coach understanding the long term interests of the team in our post-DJ era. S

Why do you hate dude brah precision stategery?
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    Take that back, the thread is starting to come alive
    edited February 2014
    Well James Sample was supposed to be an upperclassmen Safety by now. Along with Darien Washington. I think Sark's problem was one that Coach Pete tries to avoid with OKG. He wants guys that do the work in the classroom as well and guys with character. When you don't have those attributes kids flame out leaving holes.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,548 Founders Club

Well James Sample was supposed to be an upperclassmen Safety by now. Along with Darien Washington. I think Sark's problem was one that Coach Pete tries to avoid with OKG. He wants guys that do the work in the classroom as well and guys with character. When you don't have those attributes kids flame out leaving holes.

I was really excited for Sample, wish he hadn't moved on. Dude could hit.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499

chuck said:

Qualls RS as well.
    Qualls actually got a redshirt. Farria and Mathis both had theirs burned so they could play in the 4th quarter against Idaho State and Cal. Absolutely stupid and I guarantee we will be wishing those guys had an extra year of eligibility in 3 years
    If you can't see why needing depth in the 4th quarter against the juggernaut Bengals and Golden Bears is necessary then I can't help you.