Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Series rec: Catch-22 on Hulu.

1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,313
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
It's both nothing like the book and really in the spirit of the book at the same time. Mostly, it's just surprisingly good.

Comments

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,093
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    It is next on my watch list. Glad it's good.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Never read the book, but I can understand why so many readers were upset with the different tone the show took. That said, the show was awesome, and even though it was apparently more somber than the book, it was pretty fucking funny. It had a very Wes Anderson vibe to it.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited June 2019
    Great book. Not sure how you could capture the same tone in film.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,087
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Never read the book, but I can understand why so many readers were upset with the different tone the show took. That said, the show was awesome, and even though it was apparently more somber than the book, it was pretty fucking funny. It had a very Wes Anderson vibe to it.

Like in Californication, when Hank Moody's bestselling book, God Hates us All, was made into a film starring Tom Cruise called Crazy Little Thing Called Love.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Like in Californication, when Hank Moody's bestselling book, God Hates us All, was made into a film starring Tom Cruise called Crazy Little Thing Called Love.
    Does that mean we get to see George Clooney get punched?
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,313
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Great book. Not sure how you could capture the same tone in film.

Probably my favorite book, yet I still really liked the series. It was weird seeing (a pared down version of) the story in a linear order. The show's ending was quite different, too, but both were good.

I quickly learned to see it as "Catch-22 themed" and was able to quite enjoy it.