Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Is 1990 UCLA the most painful loss in UW football history?

GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
When it single-handedly costs you a national championship, and the opponent is awful, I can't imagine a loss stinging more. Glad I can't remember that one! What were some other heartbreakers?

Comments

• Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    That one sucked ass the most.

Other dishonorable mentions: 1990 Colorado, 1992 Arizona, 1992 WSU (Bledsoe was good, but we? should have stuck with running Darius Turner up the gut), 1995 ND (left their receiver uncovered for an easy TD - FML).

There are many more, but those ones jump out at me at the moment. I'm sure others will chime in with some other steaming turds that should have never happened.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    1985 Oregon State...I was only 9 years old but I don't think I had ever seen my dad so dejected....and he went to '94 UO game.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Another one that really bugs me is the 1988 UCLA game. One of our? defensive linemen got pushed to the ground and rolled onto Aikman's foot. Aikman did his best acting and it drew a roughing-the-passer penalty. They had just thrown incomplete on a 3rd down. It gave them a fresh set of downs and they marched down the field for a TD, winning 24-17.

Yes, the wefs scwewed us, but it was such a bullshit call.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183

Hard to beat UCLA for most painful but the back to back Apple Cup losses in the early 80s cost us back to back Rose Bowl trips that would have made a three peat. Those were not good WSU teams.

Too long ago for most folks here

What's up Chuck!!
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Hard to beat UCLA for most painful but the back to back Apple Cup losses in the early 80s cost us back to back Rose Bowl trips that would have made a three peat. Those were not good WSU teams.

Too long ago for most folks here

The 82 Apple Cup hurt me more than the UCLA loss
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,951
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Founders Club

Just when we think our? marketing department is gay...
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited June 2019
    Gladdy losing a step, would been a nice pole
  • Options
    Founders Club
    FirePete said:

We're just lucky Gladstone poasts here at all.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

FirePete said:

We're just lucky Gladstone poasts here at all.
    I am glad gladdy stoped gambling
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,623
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Natty was all but iced in 1990. I dont see how you can pick anything over a home loss to a bad team that cost a sure NC.

2000 at Oregon would be #2 for me. At least that was a good duck team though.

1992 at Arizona and at WSU were not real surprising losses for me. The Huskies were still good but far from great. The defensive team speed we were used to from 1990 and 1991 had mostly moved on, as had Empterman who was irreplaceable as a one man plug on the interior dl. Zona was just real good, was playing at home, and was playing Lambo's defense better than Lambo's guys were.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,951
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

The Natty was all but iced in 1990. I dont see how you can pick anything over a home loss to a bad team that cost a sure NC.

1992 at Arizona and at WSU were not real surprising losses for me. The Huskies were still good but far from great. The defensive team speed we were used to from 1990 and 1991 had mostly moved on, as had Empterman who was irreplaceable as a one man plug on the interior dl. Zona was just real good, was playing at home, and was playing Lambo's defense better than Lambo's guys were.

You think? I know we were ranked #2 at the time of the loss, but Colorado would have still had the head to head win over us. And Georgia Tech only had 1 tie and no losses.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,623
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

You think? I know we were ranked #2 at the time of the loss, but Colorado would have still had the head to head win over us. And Georgia Tech only had 1 tie and no losses.
    I'll have to go over my notes (I dont have any notes), but I know it seemed iron clad to me at the time and for as long as my memory of the situation was still clear. They had us head to head but UW had been so dominant after scuffling out of the gate and had all the momentum and hype by the time of the UCLA game.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,258
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Crapple Cup. Was there with school friends who lived in Spokane. Fittingly, we gelded my buddy's horse the old fashioned way at his ranch the day before. We? thought we had finally put up a win to avoid Owen until we bent over like a Wazzu Coed. Fucking lost in the shittiest double overtime game ever to one of the worst COUG! teams ever. Everyone knew we were losing to Cal the next week as well. Lowest point in my entire fandom sitting shitfaced in that awful stadium in that awful weather with CUOGs celebrating the most CUOG! win of all tim.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2019
    It’s up there. 1994 Oregon. 1997 USC tie. 2000 Oregon. 1982 WSU. I was at the WSU game. Sat in the end zone where Nelson missed the field goal. It was good. Still might not have mattered since we? Lost by more than 3.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,746
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    chuck said:

How quickly they forget.

Miami and Washington tracked each other for two seasons back then. First in 1990. Miami lost in a freak shootout to the Detmer Mormons in Provo and then to No. 6 Notre Dame at their house. If Washington gets one of two losses back, then so does Miami.

At the end of the year, there wasn't a nastier team in the country to play than Miami. The ass kicking they put on a good Texas team in their own backyard is fucking legendary, love 'em, hate 'em, whatever. You don't spot the other guy over 220 yards in personal foul penalties, basically begging the refs to make you lose, and still limit them to a field goal w/o being pretty tuff. There wasn't a team in the country that would have beaten them that day. Every single Miami hater I knew was wearing burnt orange that day, just sure Miami was going to be a no-show because of the 2 losses. One of my favorite games of all tim. That was a pretty good Texas team too.
  • Options
    Founders Club

chuck said:

How quickly they forget.

Miami and Washington tracked each other for two seasons back then. First in 1990. Miami lost in a freak shootout to the Detmer Mormons in Provo and then to No. 6 Notre Dame at their house. If Washington gets one of two losses back, then so does Miami.

At the end of the year, there wasn't a nastier team in the country to play than Miami. The ass kicking they put on a good Texas team in their own backyard is fucking legendary, love 'em, hate 'em, whatever. You don't spot the other guy over 220 yards in personal foul penalties, basically begging the refs to make you lose, and still limit them to a field goal w/o being pretty tuff. There wasn't a team in the country that would have beaten them that day. Every single Miami hater I knew was wearing burnt orange that day, just sure Miami was going to be a no-show because of the 2 losses. One of my favorite games of all tim. That was a pretty good Texas team too.
    You mean that was a GOOD Texas team.