Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Is 1990 UCLA the most painful loss in UW football history?

2»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

chuck said:

The Natty was all but iced in 1990. I dont see how you can pick anything over a home loss to a bad team that cost a sure NC.

2000 at Oregon would be #2 for me. At least that was a good duck team though.

1992 at Arizona and at WSU were not real surprising losses for me. The Huskies were still good but far from great. The defensive team speed we were used to from 1990 and 1991 had mostly moved on, as had Empterman who was irreplaceable as a one man plug on the interior dl. Zona was just real good, was playing at home, and was playing Lambo's defense better than Lambo's guys were.

How quickly they forget.

Miami and Washington tracked each other for two seasons back then. First in 1990. Miami lost in a freak shootout to the Detmer Mormons in Provo and then to No. 6 Notre Dame at their house. If Washington gets one of two losses back, then so does Miami.

At the end of the year, there wasn't a nastier team in the country to play than Miami. The ass kicking they put on a good Texas team in their own backyard is fucking legendary, love 'em, hate 'em, whatever. You don't spot the other guy over 220 yards in personal foul penalties, basically begging the refs to make you lose, and still limit them to a field goal w/o being pretty tuff. There wasn't a team in the country that would have beaten them that day. Every single Miami hater I knew was wearing burnt orange that day, just sure Miami was going to be a no-show because of the 2 losses. One of my favorite games of all tim. That was a pretty good Texas team too.
    You mean that was a GOOD Texas team.
    Yes, that is what I meant.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,041
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

The Natty was all but iced in 1990. I dont see how you can pick anything over a home loss to a bad team that cost a sure NC.

1992 at Arizona and at WSU were not real surprising losses for me. The Huskies were still good but far from great. The defensive team speed we were used to from 1990 and 1991 had mostly moved on, as had Empterman who was irreplaceable as a one man plug on the interior dl. Zona was just real good, was playing at home, and was playing Lambo's defense better than Lambo's guys were.

How quickly they forget.

Miami and Washington tracked each other for two seasons back then. First in 1990. Miami lost in a freak shootout to the Detmer Mormons in Provo and then to No. 6 Notre Dame at their house. If Washington gets one of two losses back, then so does Miami.

At the end of the year, there wasn't a nastier team in the country to play than Miami. The ass kicking they put on a good Texas team in their own backyard is fucking legendary, love 'em, hate 'em, whatever. You don't spot the other guy over 220 yards in personal foul penalties, basically begging the refs to make you lose, and still limit them to a field goal w/o being pretty tuff. There wasn't a team in the country that would have beaten them that day. Every single Miami hater I knew was wearing burnt orange that day, just sure Miami was going to be a no-show because of the 2 losses. One of my favorite games of all tim. That was a pretty good Texas team too.
    Jimminy g willigers. Give it up Kewg. You didn’t even go to Miamuh.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,643
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

How quickly they forget.

Who?

*We? retroactively beat the 1990 and 1991 Miami teams in their house in 1994 and again in 2000. That iced the hypothetical discussion about the hypothetically one loss teams in 1990 and undefeated 1991 teams. Check your notes creep.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

How quickly they forget.

He's a swarthy Cuban. It's required fandom. It's like being a Raiders fan if you are Mejican.
    I thought they jus like el beisbol.
  • Options

chuck said:

How quickly they forget.

I'm only upvoting this shit because I like you big fella. But this is some shit.
  • Options
    chuck said:

chuck said:

How quickly they forget.

Who?

*We? retroactively beat the 1990 and 1991 Miami teams in their house in 1994 and again in 2000. That iced the hypothetical discussion about the hypothetically one loss teams in 1990 and undefeated 1991 teams. Check your notes creep.
    My notes say Miami smokes any team in the country in January of 1990. That was a nasty team that let a few games go. But it was loaded and capable of badness when focused, and that day it was focused and pissed about being in a shit-tier Cotton Bowel with Tejas, who was talking all manner of shit before the game and who got a lesson in shit talk they'll never forget.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2019

chuck said:

How quickly they forget.

He's a swarthy Cuban. It's required fandom. It's like being a Raiders fan if you are Mejican.
    The swarthy, blonde Cuban gal I dated in college liked Washington damn it!
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,232
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Another one that really bugs me is the 1988 UCLA game. One of our? defensive linemen got pushed to the ground and rolled onto Aikman's foot. Aikman did his best acting and it drew a roughing-the-passer penalty. They had just thrown incomplete on a 3rd down. It gave them a fresh set of downs and they marched down the field for a TD, winning 24-17.

Yes, the wefs scwewed us, but it was such a bullshit call.

It was Dennis Brown. I was one angry teenager. The only game that ever literally gave me a headache. I was convinced the refs were intentionally screwing us. And UCLA didn't march down the field -- they threw a 48 yard TD pass about two plays later.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,716
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Colorado had the win in 1990 but the pollsters were more than happy to fuck them for the FIVE DOWNS THEY NEEDED TO BEAT MISSOURI
  • Options

chuck said:

How quickly they forget.

The U and the U Dub tracked each other until 2001. It is kind of uncanny

The 1990-92 era where UW split a natty, threw one away in 1990 as discussed here, and Miami won it in 1992 because UW dropped football a tad faster. Both went on probation in the 90's and rebuilt to 2000 where the U lost to the DAWGS and the DAWGS lost to Oregon giving Florida State the nod for some strange reason since Miami beat them

The U got their revenge in 2001 and another natty. They choked it our to tOSU and then joined us? in being irrelevant for a duckade. In 2016 we both came BACK. And neither has been competitive with the big boys yet
    I'd say Washington is a little, or a lot, more 'back' than Miami at present. We shall see what the fiery little Cuban can do. Miami's past with a defensive minded HC isn't something I hate, so there's that.

But, and he's acknowledged as much publicly, Miami's O line is in shambles, and I'm not sure Manny did anything about it this off-season other than [hopefully] hire a better O line coach. All the skill talent in the world can't do anything without at least a serviceable O line.
  • Options

Colorado had the win in 1990 but the pollsters were more than happy to fuck them for the FIVE DOWNS THEY NEEDED TO BEAT MISSOURI

I so remember that.

My other fond memory of 1990, which I've told here before, was walking with a buddy from Thompson Hall by the Hub and talking about the shit play call on the last play of the game (or whatever it was) when Brunnell through a fade to Bailey in the corner. I was popping off about how stupid it was (I still believe this, btw) to throw a corner fade to a 5'8" receiver, no matter how good he was. As I was flapping my gums, I got the sense that a slightly taller person walking almost next to us was listening to my rant. As I rambled on, it occurred to me to look over to see who was eavesdropping, and low and behold is was the kid who threw the pass.

Had it been Billy Joe, I probably get my ass kicked right there and then. But alas, gladly, it was Mark Brunell, who seemed like someone who had a bit more control of himself as compared to the average football player. He just looked at me, gave me a half-grin (as if to say, "thanks for your thoughts asshole") and walked on ahead of us.

No, I wasn't embarrassed. It was a stupid call, whomever made it.

This many years later, i can't recall if that was the 4th down play or not. But I do recall making that point, so somewhere in there we? threw a corner fade to the endzone targeting Bailey and missed.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,309
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I so remember that.

My other fond memory of 1990, which I've told here before, was walking with a buddy from Thompson Hall by the Hub and talking about the shit play call on the last play of the game (or whatever it was) when Brunnell through a fade to Bailey in the corner. I was popping off about how stupid it was (I still believe this, btw) to throw a corner fade to a 5'8" receiver, no matter how good he was. As I was flapping my gums, I got the sense that a slightly taller person walking almost next to us was listening to my rant. As I rambled on, it occurred to me to look over to see who was eavesdropping, and low and behold is was the kid who threw the pass.

Had it been Billy Joe, I probably get my ass kicked right there and then. But alas, gladly, it was Mark Brunell, who seemed like someone who had a bit more control of himself as compared to the average football player. He just looked at me, gave me a half-grin (as if to say, "thanks for your thoughts asshole") and walked on ahead of us.

This many years later, i can't recall if that was the 4th down play or not. But I do recall making that point, so somewhere in there we? threw a corner fade to the endzone targeting Bailey and missed.
    Story tim with uncle creepy.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    I grew up with loser football so the crapple cup is the most fitting loss of my lifetime!
  • Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,981
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    2002 Michigan game “12 men on the field”

Set the tone for the shitty season. This was the year after they blew the Holiday Bowl to a top ten Texas team against little major applewhite
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,568
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I so remember that.

Had it been Billy Joe, I probably get my ass kicked right there and then. But alas, gladly, it was Mark Brunell, who seemed like someone who had a bit more control of himself as compared to the average football player. He just looked at me, gave me a half-grin (as if to say, "thanks for your thoughts turncoat") and walked on ahead of us.