Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Cooper McDonald, 2020 3* LB, Justin (Northwest), TX (Committed)

Comments

• dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,704
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Penace said:

Its unconscionable the direction we have chosen to go with recruiting.
    What pisses me off the most, and it has been mentioned, is that we are shunning kids that could benefit the most from the okg bullshit. Take a fucking chance on a kid and let him be a part of something positive for perhaps the first time in his fucking life. The local perception is a total disaster and based off the offers tendered in the last week it's not going to change.

This.

I hit on this exact thing in DJ’s thread months ago with the emphasis being that dickman needs to live his B4Lyfe shit if he believe it. Give the opportunity to the kids where B4L will make the biggest difference from a PERSONAL and athletic perspective.

Not just the kids who are already on the up and up regardless of b4L (for the most part).

How can Pete be so blind to the fact that some of those possible tweeners (for what he seeks) seriously bought into the b4l, and it had a profound impact on their lives and who they are today (thinking of our CFP team)- some in the nfl and some having grown in other aspects of life as well.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    This place is always more fun when we suck.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Penace said:

What pisses me off the most, and it has been mentioned, is that we are shunning kids that could benefit the most from the okg bullshit. Take a fucking chance on a kid and let him be a part of something positive for perhaps the first time in his fucking life. The local perception is a total disaster and based off the offers tendered in the last week it's not going to change.

What kids have been shunned that could benefit from BFL/OKG? Name them. As far as I can tell, there are like four local guys who (in the case of a few of them, inexplicably) haven't received offers. Who else?

Gee's dad, and the fact that the staff is hail-marying on McMillan and Wilson (better prospects), makes this one completely excusable. If I had to guess, they played him like any other Plan B (awesome, but try hitting the home run first) prospect, and Dad didn't take kindly to this, burning the bridge in the process.
    Julian Simon I don't get, but I recognize I have no idea what the whole story is, and he's still a year from worrying about anyway.
    DJ Rogers, sounds like there's off the field issues. Nobody will come right out and say what that's all about.
    Sounds like the Latu brothers will probably be offered once their grades are trustworthy.
    Seems like there's one other kid? Can't remember.

So what's the other grievance?

The offered Smalls when he was like 12. They offered JT when he was a zygote. They've offered pretty much every other local kid not listed above (I'm sure I forget one or two, but whatever). They've offered pretty much every four and five-star kid in the west.

Who exactly are they not giving a chance to be part of something positive? We're talking about DJ Rogers, Gee Scott, and Peter Latu. Those are the three guys in-state that they've passed up so far to offer kids from Texas or whatever (possibly as part of long term bridge-building goals).

I'm not trying to defend the recruiting effort completely, as some of the misses that have happened recently suck, but bashing the "direction [they] have chosen to go with recruiting" implies that it's not the effort/hit rate/marketing that's bad but rather the overall direction (read: "offers"). But they're offering all the kids (save three or four locals that you'd want them to, out of a 90 kid class) that you'd want them to, so what would you have them do differently on that front? They're TRYING to give kids a chance at that sweet sweet OKG bullshit, it's just that, this spring for various reasons, said kids aren't going for it. That's a totally different problem from the one you're upset about.
    Not one was “shunned” more than you can look at some of the regional talent that we should have offered and make assumptions (dangerous I know) as to why these kids weren’t offered. You may have been speaking strictly local with my answer being regional...

To your point, if we only knew the rest of the story we might not all be so fucking antsy.

• FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,702
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Penace said:

What kids have been shunned that could benefit from BFL/OKG? Name them. As far as I can tell, there are like four local guys who (in the case of a few of them, inexplicably) haven't received offers. Who else?

Gee's dad, and the fact that the staff is hail-marying on McMillan and Wilson (better prospects), makes this one completely excusable. If I had to guess, they played him like any other Plan B (awesome, but try hitting the home run first) prospect, and Dad didn't take kindly to this, burning the bridge in the process.
    Julian Simon I don't get, but I recognize I have no idea what the whole story is, and he's still a year from worrying about anyway.
    DJ Rogers, sounds like there's off the field issues. Nobody will come right out and say what that's all about.
    Sounds like the Latu brothers will probably be offered once their grades are trustworthy.

The offered Smalls when he was like 12. They offered JT when he was a zygote. They've offered pretty much every other local kid not listed above (I'm sure I forget one or two, but whatever). They've offered pretty much every four and five-star kid in the west.

Who exactly are they not giving a chance to be part of something positive? We're talking about DJ Rogers, Gee Scott, and Peter Latu. Those are the three guys in-state that they've passed up so far to offer kids from Texas or whatever (possibly as part of long term bridge-building goals).

I'm not trying to defend the recruiting effort completely, as some of the misses that have happened recently suck, but bashing the "direction [they] have chosen to go with recruiting" implies that it's not the effort/hit rate/marketing that's bad but rather the overall direction (read: "offers"). But they're offering all the kids (save three or four locals that you'd want them to, out of a 90 kid class) that you'd want them to, so what would you have them do differently on that front? They're TRYING to give kids a chance at that sweet sweet OKG bullshit, it's just that, this spring for various reasons, said kids aren't going for it. That's a totally different problem from the one you're upset about.
    You can always come up with a reason not to offer a kid if you've decided not to. Even so- some of those are real flimsy excuses.

What you miss when you try to zero in on each situation individually are the larger trends.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Penace said:

You can always come up with a reason not to offer a kid if you've decided not to. Even so- some of those are real flimsy excuses.

What you miss when you try to zero in on each situation individually are the larger trends.
    What larger trends? There aren't any, because the sample sizes everyone are freaking out over are insanely tiny. "They've offered 70 kids, will probably offer 30 more, but they haven't offered these five. This is a disturbing trend." Any statistician would laugh at that.
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,856
    Founders Club
    Swaye's Wigwam

Hey @CallMeBigErn go fuck yourself

Woooood
  • KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    According to 247, he is visiting June 7th along with Kole Taylor.
  • GOATGOAT Member Posts: 177
    Looks like he’s 6’1, which is expected when a guy lists himself at 6’3. Hard pass
  • TacoSoupTacoSoup Member Posts: 148
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    GOAT said:

Looks like he’s 6’1, which is expected when a guy lists himself at 6’3. Hard pass

They're recruiting him to play inside. He said Josh Calvert was his host and "plays the position they are recruiting me for"
  • insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    What's the board's reaction if we accept his commitment?

• CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,856
    Founders Club

What's the board's reaction if we accept his commitment?

Did I see somewhere that we're recruiting him as an ILB?