Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Has Troy Williams been named the starter yet?

13»

Comments

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    One thing I respect about Graham is that he's like a shark who smells weakness and period blood in the water and then gets after it.

Do you think Kelly comes back this game or sits another week. Does it matter? I thought ASU's D was pretty good last year but is it rebuilding this year?

On O, how is your OL and how much does the O miss Marion Grice?

If Miles starts it's going to be tough for you because Graham will blitz like there's no tomorrow. I don't thuink Miles can handle that.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Browning looks like a great get, but counting on him to come in as a freshman and start is probably a stretch. It just doesn't happen very often. Who was the last true freshman QB in the Pac 12 that actually played well? Goff played for Cal last year, but mostly struggled on a shitty team. Barkley was okay for USC, but he had a lot of talent and help around him.

At one point Miles, Williams, Lindquist, and Carta-Samuels (to a lesser extent) were all highly regarded prospects with big time schools after them. Browning is also pretty slight at 185. He may not be physically ready either. There is a lot to still play out. History says he won't start. I'd put it well over 50% that he redshirts, learns the system, and gets ready physically before they throw him out there. The last thing you want to do is throw him out there, he's not ready, his confidence takes a hit, or he gets hurt.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Oh I'm certainly not saying I expect him to start as a true frosh and fully expect him to redshirt. BUT, that doesn't mean people shouldn't look forward to getting him on the roster and getting coached up.

My crystal balls certainly failed me this past Saturday but they aren't shattered yet and they are telling me that Troy Williams or KJCS will be the starter in 2015 and Miles will transfer after the season.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Miles ran the ball 6 times for just 13 yards (and took 2 sacks for -18 yards) and had two very costly turnovers (a terrible throw that was high and behind the WR and an unforced fumble that he dropped on his own). 2 TOs against an average to slightly above average D and averaging 2.2 ypc isn't exactly stellar.

So Williams averaging 5.6 ypc, running for a TD, and not turning the ball over in 15 times throwing or running should be important. Since Oregon lost to Arizona, they wanted style points which is why Mariota played the whole game and Oregon still was playing some of their first team D against Williams (while Williams had our 3rd string RB at his disposal and we saw more of the two true frosh WRs when he was in).

Williams hit the rb out of the back field a few times vs soft coverage and scrambled a few times. BFd. He may also be a turnover machine waiting to happen. Who knows.

Either way if our safeties still take shitty angles and can't tackle and we can't run the ball asu is going to sodomize us on our home field.

Eod

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LIPO. It's perfectly logical to want Williams to play after Miles' struggles, but the garbage time didn't mean shit. AtomicDawg is right. Oregon may have wanted style points, but it's hard to keep the same intensity up 29 points.

A lot of this is searching because we are unhappy with Miles' play. Nobody has a clue if Williams is any good.
    HFNY said:

Miles ran the ball 6 times for just 13 yards (and took 2 sacks for -18 yards) and had two very costly turnovers (a terrible throw that was high and behind the WR and an unforced fumble that he dropped on his own). 2 TOs against an average to slightly above average D and averaging 2.2 ypc isn't exactly stellar.

So Williams averaging 5.6 ypc, running for a TD, and not turning the ball over in 15 times throwing or running should be important. Since Oregon lost to Arizona, they wanted style points which is why Mariota played the whole game and Oregon still was playing some of their first team D against Williams (while Williams had our 3rd string RB at his disposal and we saw more of the two true frosh WRs when he was in).

Williams hit the rb out of the back field a few times vs soft coverage and scrambled a few times. BFd. He may also be a turnover machine waiting to happen. Who knows.

Either way if our safeties still take shitty angles and can't tackle and we can't run the ball asu is going to sodomize us on our home field.

Eod

• Options
    claychaclaycha Member Posts: 662
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    I see what you're saying but trust me, Williams has the highest ceiling out of the 3 QBs who have played this year. I've heard that from people within the program and saw it with my own eyes on Saturday.

If Miles is healthy, I'm pretty sure Petersen will start him and give him at least another half of football against ASU to give him a chance to prove himself against another Pac-12 D that isn't Cal (or Colorado / WSU). If he struggles again, I'd like to see Williams after the half because Graham is going to load the box and dare Miles to beat him with quick and accurate passes against his blitzes.

LIPO. It's perfectly logical to want Williams to play after Miles' struggles, but the garbage time didn't mean shit. AtomicDawg is right. Oregon may have wanted style points, but it's hard to keep the same intensity up 29 points.

A lot of this is searching because we are unhappy with Miles' play. Nobody has a clue if Williams is any good.

HFNY said:

Eod

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    TheHB said:

Miles, Williams, Lindquist ... it doesn't fucking matter who the hell starts. The offensive line can't block for shit and there is no Sankey in the backfield. The Cactus Bowl looks pretty good right now.

EOD
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    TheHB said:

Miles, Williams, Lindquist ... it doesn't fucking matter who the hell starts. The offensive line can't block for shit and there is no Sankey in the backfield. The Cactus Bowl looks pretty good right now.

Actually the OL gave Miles plenty of time. The OL is not the problem. We've been used to having good skill guys and a bad line. Now we have no skill guys but a decent line. ASJ, Sankey, Smith, healthy Kasen, String….too much talent lost in one offseason.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

TheHB said:

Actually the OL gave Miles plenty of time. The OL is not the problem. We've been used to having good skill guys and a bad line. Now we have no skill guys but a decent line. ASJ, Sankey, Smith, healthy Kasen, String….too much talent lost in one offseason.
    I don't watch all 22 or any shot like that, but from what I've seen pass blocking has been good and run blocking has been subpart.
    Perhaps the quality or lack thereof of our RB's is making the Oline look worse than it actually is though
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The oline sucks, and was massively overrated coming into the year nuff said on that. Were you not watching the same Oregon players stuff plays in the backfield all game long?
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    TheHB said:

Miles, Williams, Lindquist ... it doesn't fucking matter who the hell starts. The offensive line can't block for shit and there is no Sankey in the backfield. The Cactus Ebola Bowl looks pretty good right now.

• Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,775
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    TheHB said:

Miles, Williams, Lindquist ... it doesn't fucking matter who the hell starts. The offensive line can't block for shit and there is no Sankey in the backfield. The Cactus Bowl Plunger Rape Bowellooks pretty good right now.

Fixed for accuracy.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Here's what we have with miles.

To the positive - Every once in a while I feel like he's making progress in one series, only to have 4 series in a row where he sucks. I start to wonder if i'm celebrating a good throw as if it's my 2yr old pooping in the potty instead of his inspector gadget skivies, is that really the bar we want to be at for a UW QB?

His WR's continually drop balls even when he finally makes a good read and gets the ball there.

He hasn't had a whole lot of turn overs this season. Yes, i know the oregon pick was brutal but I can also argue that that game could have been light years different had mickens made the catch that went through his hands for a TD early on and our LB's made 1 tackle. That throw was one of the logs in the toilet where i rejoiced for cycler's execution.

To the negative - We have a guy who continually can not make adjustments at the line, read defenses, or throw the ball down field by staying in the pocket long enough to actually make reads(much of this is done presnap btw).

Our OL isn't insanely good by any means, but people piling on the OL acting as if it's their job to block for 4 or 5 seconds are nuts. Cyler does a horrid job of reading defenses pre-snap, which means his progression takes longer, and then he has trouble actually pulling the trigger(whether by confidence or horrid mechanics and a noodle arm).

He has vapor lock on one WR, which has to put the defense in an even better position. I haven't watched a qb in a long time with such a lock on a WR who isn't an elite stud. I get if he had reggie williams out there, but mickens isn't exactly on par with that class of WR. As soon as mickens isn't open, we dump it off.

At the end of the day it almost feels like Peterman is trying to reward cyler for working so hard after his screwup, and doesn't want to give someone else a shot who may actually take this offense to another level because it's an unknown.

I just expect more than to be excited when the QB actually makes a division 1 throw and feel a bit giddy inside. Maybe I should get him M'&M's Co-eds like my son and we can see if the reward system for pooping can work with legitimate throws.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Browning looks like a great get, but counting on him to come in as a freshman and start is probably a stretch. It just doesn't happen very often. Who was the last true freshman QB in the Pac 12 that actually played well? Goff played for Cal last year, but mostly struggled on a shitty team. Barkley was okay for USC, but he had a lot of talent and help around him.

At one point Miles, Williams, Lindquist, and Carta-Samuels (to a lesser extent) were all highly regarded prospects with big time schools after them. Browning is also pretty slight at 185. He may not be physically ready either. There is a lot to still play out. History says he won't start. I'd put it well over 50% that he redshirts, learns the system, and gets ready physically before they throw him out there. The last thing you want to do is throw him out there, he's not ready, his confidence takes a hit, or he gets hurt.

Very doubtful a frosh comes in and is in a place to win the job even with spring practice. It's a huge task. The more i've seen with this crop of QB's though, makes it seem like it's possible. Miles reads defenses, blitzes and scrambles out of the pocket like a frosh. I don't see how browning would be much worse. The only thing that may change in your head is that cycler has rs soph next to his name instead of true frosh.

I hope that with this year and offseason that one of the guys on our roster steps up to take the job. I don't care who it is, but I've obviously seen more than enough from what cyler brings to this team. I'd like to see one of the other guys who can actually be a threat to the defense take the reigns. We certainly know spring ball is going to be crazy with Cyler, Lindy, Troy, KS and browning in. I fully expect if troy/KS/Browning win the job that cyler is gone(he may be gone this year if he loses the job before years end).
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

TheHB said:

They aren't a strength and considering they have 3 seniors and a junior who has started since he was a freshman, they suck. They did give Miles time against Oregon though. The RB's never break any tackles in the second level when they do open holes. They would look better with a better QB and RB's, but they have been a disappointment this season, especially in the running game.
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,560
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Mosster47 said:

Gladstone said:

I had already turned the game off in disgust. Was Williams really that much different?

Oregon had their scrubs in playing a Cover 2 under with a 3-man rush. He did what any excited kid would do, he played way harder than anyone else out there because no one gave a fuck but him.

As someone who has been a QB coach for a very long time now this is the hope you get when your starter is struggling but it hardly ever turns into a reality.

Being honest, just give Peterman three or four years to get his team together. Look at any coach that wasn't Chip Kelly. It takes awhile to turn shit into shinola.
    Finally someone gets it. Omg Cyler sucks! Play his backup Peterman!!!1!!!!!11

Christ. If Williams were better than Miles, he'd start over Miles.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Pressing.

Unless it's a smoke screen (since ASU isn't Cal and Graham isn't Dykes), it's pretty clear that Peterson thinks Miles has the highest floor and gives the team the best opportunity to win right now ....BUT he just may be positioning himself to pull the plug on the Miley Cyrus experiment after the first half if ASU's D gets all up in him.

thechatch said:

Mosster47 said:

Gladstone said:

I had already turned the game off in disgust. Was Williams really that much different?

Oregon had their scrubs in playing a Cover 2 under with a 3-man rush. He did what any excited kid would do, he played way harder than anyone else out there because no one gave a fuck but him.

As someone who has been a QB coach for a very long time now this is the hope you get when your starter is struggling but it hardly ever turns into a reality.

Being honest, just give Peterman three or four years to get his team together. Look at any coach that wasn't Chip Kelly. It takes awhile to turn shit into shinola.
    Finally someone gets it. Omg Cyler sucks! Play his backup Peterman!!!1!!!!!11

Christ. If Williams were better than Miles, he'd start over Miles.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,974
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club