Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Are you a punk rocker or metal head?

2»

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,474
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Metal
    Need more shredding. Punk sounds like shitty garage band music.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,305
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Metal

But I liked Judas Priest before I heard the Sex Pistols so ...
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,301
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Neither rather easily. Mix in country, and you've got the three genres that are ear poison to me.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Punk
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

Metal started ramping up when I was in college (early 80's), as I was getting into older stuff (Stones, Beatles, Byrds, Who, Doors), and also into Punk/New Wave, with the dawn of Mtv. I have grown to like some of it (Motorhead, Metallica, and a few others), but it just didn't resonate with me as a genre...

If the Ozzy version of black Sabbath is metal then that strengthens it a lot for me. I pretty much like the standard metal songs otherwise...Metallica in other words.
    Sabbath invented metal so therefore metal.
    Thats a neverending debate though. They weren't the first to rev up the blues and weren't the first to feature a jazz drummer. Progenitor of metal is a label I see more frequently, but the same label can apply to Led Zep, Deep Purple and others...hell even Hendrix and Santana.

I feel like Sabbath became more metallic over time, mainly after Paranoid. I really know fuckall though.
    The line between early metal and loud blues rock is pretty blurry. Cream, Zep, Deep Purple all still had some bluesy "swing" to their sound, but Sabbath stripped that out entirely. I still consider Zep and Deep Purple to be early metal, but it's messy for some. With Sabbath it's completely clear where they fit.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Punk

Only punk band I actually love and will continually listen to is the Misfits

Not enuff shredding in punk.
    Shredding annoys the shit out of me. Noodling on the other hand is for sophisticants like me and @alumni94
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,474
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Metal

Only punk band I actually love and will continually listen to is the Misfits

Not enuff shredding in punk.
    Shredding annoys the shit out of me. Noodling on the other hand is for sophisticants like me and @alumni94
    Why are you talking to yourself here?
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    TheHB said:

Everytime I see this gif, I think, “Yes she will!”. And then laugh to myself.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022
    Punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbxJdwmsaXc

Fuck off. Ride or die with easy listening.

Walk on by, bitches.

There's no mutual exclusivity here @PurpleThrobber . I have an extensive collection of panty dropping yacht rock albums.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    Punk

chuck said:

chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

Metal started ramping up when I was in college (early 80's), as I was getting into older stuff (Stones, Beatles, Byrds, Who, Doors), and also into Punk/New Wave, with the dawn of Mtv. I have grown to like some of it (Motorhead, Metallica, and a few others), but it just didn't resonate with me as a genre...

If the Ozzy version of black Sabbath is metal then that strengthens it a lot for me. I pretty much like the standard metal songs otherwise...Metallica in other words.
    Thats a neverending debate though. They weren't the first to rev up the blues and weren't the first to feature a jazz drummer. Progenitor of metal is a label I see more frequently, but the same label can apply to Led Zep, Deep Purple and others...hell even Hendrix and Santana.

I feel like Sabbath became more metallic over time, mainly after Paranoid. I really know fuckall though.
    The line between early metal and loud blues rock is pretty blurry. Cream, Zep, Deep Purple all still had some bluesy "swing" to their sound, but Sabbath stripped that out entirely. I still consider Zep and Deep Purple to be early metal, but it's messy for some. With Sabbath it's completely clear where they fit.

You nailed it for me…I am a big proponent of the “swing”, and I don’t hear it in most metal. You mention Cream, LZ, DP…three of the greatest drummers ever, Bill Ward in there too. Jazz guys make it swing
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,305
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Metal
    alumni94 said:

TheHB said:

Everytime I see this gif, I think, “Yes she will!”. And then laugh to myself.
    Muscle memory?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Punk
    Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

You nailed it for me…I am a big proponent of the “swing”, and I don’t hear it in most metal. You mention Cream, LZ, DP…three of the greatest drummers ever, Bill Ward in there too. Jazz guys make it swing
    Hence why I've always gravitated more to "hard rock" vs true metal. Zep, AC/DC, Van Halen, G n' R, all kept a bit of the "swing" to one degree or another.

• Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,534
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Punk
    did not want to vote - but if I like Talking Heads and Blondie I guess punk.

Not into metal except on videos where there are tits