Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Rumors of UCLA's rise

chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,634
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
Look to be false as far as I can see so far. Kelly isn't good anymore. This was known, but people seem to want to predict big things for him and the brunes.

Enough talent to be a bowl team. They aren't a threat to win the south though.

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,150
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    the 1990 Huskies opened the season with a 20-17 win over San Jose State and 20-14 win over Purdue.

LIPO
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

the 1990 Huskies opened the season with a 20-17 win over San Jose State and 20-14 win over Purdue.

LIPO

Is that how you think it will play out? I know it has happened like that, but that doesn't make it likely. They look like shit. They're shit.
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    chuck said:

Look to be false as far as I can see so far. Kelly isn't good anymore. This was known, but people seem to want to predict big things for him and the brunes.

Kelly made a boatload of money during his tenure in the NFL (Walked away being owed $25M).

Heard he took the UCLA gig because his agent, who also represents Under Armor, and UA wanted a big name hire.

Without his uptempo offense, he’s got nothing. Looks like he’s pretty much going through the motions.

Lacks the passion he once had.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,150
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

LIPO

Is that how you think it will play out? I know it has happened like that, but that doesn't make it likely. They look like shit. They're shit.
    Like I was saying, I think they win 9 games this year. I'm not betting my life on it, but I think they will improve
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,991
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    trublue said:

chuck said:

Kelly made a boatload of money during his tenure in the NFL (Walked away being owed $25M).

Heard he took the UCLA gig because his agent, who also represents Under Armor, and UA wanted a big name hire.

Without his uptempo offense, he’s got nothing. Looks like he’s pretty much going through the motions.

Lacks the passion he once had.

He hasn’t gaf since he got fired in Philly. Even in sf he was unimaginative and going through the motions.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited September 2022
    One theory I don’t really believe is the Saban USC theory. Oregon Kelly was like the army from what I’ve been told and the practices were scripted to the second. Ducks were always super fit and every player knew exactly their role. He was able to do it at Oregon where he ruled a people in love with football.

Pro players can tell their HC to fuck off, so NFL was never going to happen. See Saban at Miami. Garbage.

So maybe UCLA is not the right place for a guy like that unless that guy just wants a soft job coaching a soft program for soft and disinterested fans. SC is the football team in LA. Not Bruin.

@coronabruin
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

LIPO

Like I was saying, I think they win 9 games this year. I'm not betting my life on it, but I think they will improve
    Don't get me wrong. They should win 9. I was a little over the top...sticking my neck out on an impulse assessment in case that wasn't clear. They did wake up and finish the game.

Still, I'd say 8-9 wins, probably to include one over UW.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,238
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

System coach. He failed spectacularly in the NFL and has been mediocre+ at UCLA. He may ultimately pan out, I do think UCLA can be good this year, but I don't get the reverence for him on this site, It doesn't really exist elsewhere for good reason.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,586
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022

chuck said:

System coach. He failed spectacularly in the NFL and has been mediocre+ at UCLA. He may ultimately pan out, I do think UCLA can be good this year, but I don't get the reverence for him on this site, It doesn't really exist elsewhere for good reason.
    Big part of Kelly was right place, right time and right shit. Agree that part of it working was players had to really buy into a grueling operation and Eugene and a program with something to prove was perfect for that combined with the Nike recruiting prowess.

People forget things went kind of well for Chip the first two years in Philadelphia but I think it's true that eventually NFL players weren't that into buying 100% into his grueling system when they could get paid and win just as much somewhere else.

A big What If is if the NCAA doesn't kick him out of college football. I feel like he's smart enough to know his shit would never work long-term in the NFL and he may have just stayed at Oregon forever.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,539
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kelley lost the Philly team when the neggaduck incident happened
  • Options
    edited September 2022

chuck said:

So did Saban, Meyer and Superior, among others. That fact alone doesn't bury him IMO.

I think it's (a) he's in the wrong place for his style of control or (b) he's in the right place to barely GAF and he'll be allowed to continue to do so for a bit, and when he runs out of leash, he will not care because he already has more money than he'll ever need. @coronabruin

I'm not saying he could go back to Oregon and do it again, because I subscribe to the lightning in a bottle theory. Few can take the magic with them to the next stop. That's what makes Urban Meyer such a fucking legend.
  • Options

It's pretty straight forward. He doesn't like the grind and recruiting. He was hungry then he made it and is like fuck this

Frankly I would too

That's true.gif.
  • Options
    coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You talk a lot of shit for a fan of a mid major.
  • Options
    It took you two days to come up with that?

J not what she used to be. Soft.

@coronabruin
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,274
    Swaye's Wigwam

One theory I don’t really believe is the Saban USC theory. Oregon Kelly was like the army from what I’ve been told and the practices were scripted to the second. Ducks were always super fit and every player knew exactly their role. He was able to do it at Oregon where he ruled a people in love with football.

Pro players can tell their HC to fuck off, so NFL was never going to happen. See Saban at Miami. Garbage.

So maybe UCLA is not the right place for a guy like that unless that guy just wants a soft job coaching a soft program for soft and disinterested fans. SC is the football team in LA. Not Bruin.

@coronabruin

Fight on!
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,868
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Chimp is extremely innovative. I don't think he'll be Terry Donahue, but he'll win 7-9 gaymes there most years.
  • Options
    coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    Swaye's Wigwam

It took you two days to come up with that?

J not what she used to be. Soft.

@coronabruin

You think I think about these things? Jesus man.

Same coronabruin that ran your sorry ass last year. Dont think i forgot puto.