Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Big Four of Punk?

13»

Comments

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dannarc said:

I think Yella @YellowSnow needs to do a sermon seeker/believer thread or Pole. I have always wondered what kind of heathen would poast here

I’ll lose badly.
    @YellowSnow, I think that's a case where you're winning regardless of the pole result.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    dannarc said:

I think Yella @YellowSnow needs to do a sermon seeker/believer thread or Pole. I have always wondered what kind of heathen would poast here

What exactly are you wanting to pole? Religious affiliations/beliefs amongst the hive of scum and villainy?
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dannarc said:

What exactly are you wanting to pole? Religious affiliations/beliefs amongst the hive of scum and villainy?
    Some are suggesting a religious beliefs pole- e.g., true believer / sermon seeker, deist, agnostic, atheist fag.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

dannarc said:

Some are suggesting a religious beliefs pole- e.g., true believer / sermon seeker, deist, agnostic, atheist fag.
    Please to be taking advantage of my pole
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I wasted part of my youth playing in a shitty garage punk band, I don’t know if prefacing it with shitty is necessary as I’m guessing it’s assumed. Venues we used to play at were old Portland grimey instead of new grimey. The toilets were filled with shit and puke, not just orange caps. Unless you wanted to be labeled a poseur you couldn’t like bands that released more than one shitty album longer than 19 minutes, and anything with a hint of melody or commercial appeal was verboten. But after a while most of it sounds like the same static, so I wound up at the same stuff that got me into it in the first place.

NOFX
    The Misfits
    Dead Kennedys
    Rancid

Worth a mention: AFI, The Descendents, Social Distortion, Cock Sparrer, The Vandals, Bad Brains, The Exploited, pre-hardcore Propagandhi, Strung Out, Bouncing Souls. Plus the usual 77 suspects, Ramones, Clash, Buzzcocks.

Punk-like, folk punk, Celtic punk, etc: Gogol Bordello, Violent Femmes and their one good album, AJJ, Frank Turner, early Against Me, the Pogues, Dropkick, Flogging Molly.

I’ve seen most of these live, some many times, with the obvious exceptions of Ramones, Clash, DKs, etc. Some were of course old and trying to snatch some cash with one or two original members remaining.

It’s a real shame there’s not much new stuff that is listenable. Maybe ska-lite The Interrupters and some rock-ish shit like Gaslight Anthem. It seems like it’s due for a comeback, there’s only so many face tattoo mumblers years left before kids will want something new - and since original ideas don’t exist I’ll predict third wave of punk in the next 10 years.