Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Most underachieving UW team in modern times?

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,465 Founders Club
    1994 (7-4)
    In retrospect, I think 1997 might have been worse than 1994. It's close.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,465 Founders Club
    1994 (7-4)

1985, 1997

come on, man

Going into 1985 we were ranked #1 by Sports Illustrated, but in looking back that team was not loaded with talent.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,629 Founders Club
    1994 (7-4)
    The 97 Nebraska game at legendary Husky Stadium was on fire. Probably the last time. The classy Huskers beat the shit out of our boys and twisted Brock's ankle and took our women away when they left

While I had already long given up on Lambo that started me giving up on the whole thing. After a brief flirtation in 2000 it was over. Gone. Plenty or warning and gone

The 97 Nebraska team can be seen on Big 10 Elite even though they were Big 12 then. The Husky game was circled on the schedule because like 91 for the Huskies, it was their chance to show the nation they could beat a top team (allegedly) on the road.

Nebraska from 94 to 97 was totally roided and filled with criminals because Osborne was tired of losing the right way and wanted some national titles. Mission accomplished

Meanwhile our DAWGS were going the other way towards soft fucking loserdom
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,541 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2022
    2015 (7-6)
    In 2015 Pete took a playoff roster that even had a better pass rush and more depth at the position than 2016 and won 7 games, with losses to Cal, Utah, and ASU in addition to a pathetic performance against Oregon where he just sat in prevent and punted the entire game.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,799 Founders Club
    1994 (7-4)
    haie said:

In 2015 Pete took a playoff roster that even had a better pass rush and more depth at the position than 2016 and won 7 games, with losses to Cal, Utah, and ASU in addition to a pathetic performance against Oregon where he just sat in prevent and punted the entire game.

That was 2014, 8-6.That season is one of my least favorite ever. I was so stoked to have a proven adult in charge. He took a team that even with Cyler should have gone no less than 10-4 and barely went .500. Booted Peters, had Shaq at RB and Ross at DB. Setting his culture was more important than winning games. With my career choice I need this team to WIN GAMES. This one didn’t do it enough and it killed me.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,546 Founders Club

1985, 1997

come on, man

Going into 1985 we were ranked #1 by Sports Illustrated, but in looking back that team was not loaded with talent.
    I was in first grade. My parents let me watch the BYpUke game while they were clearing out my late grandma's stuff out of her house, probably to keep me occupied. At a young age, I still thought, "What the hell is this?" I don't know who we lost to graduation after the Orange Bowl, but it seemed like an underachieving team coming off a lot of top 20 years.
    edited August 2022
    2015 (7-6)

haie said:

That was 2014, 8-6.That season is one of my least favorite ever. I was so stoked to have a proven adult in charge. He took a team that even with Cyler should have gone no less than 10-4 and barely went .500. Booted Peters, had Shaq at RB and Ross at DB. Setting his culture was more important than winning games. With my career choice I need this team to WIN GAMES. This one didn’t do it enough and it killed me.
    I'm talking about 2015, where they started Browning and Gaskin and the first game was a pathetic missed fg loss to Boise.

2014 was horrible too because Kikaha had a ton of sacks, Shelton was a top DL in the conference and you had Shaq and Peters.

That team probably wasn't as much of a contender as 2015 since a ton of offense players transferred out and our running backs/qb were awful but only winning 8 games with that schedule was an abortion. Pete lost the Stanford game with the dumb ass fake punt, lost the Arizona game via that fumble, but most losses were pathetically similar to the 2021 team's losses. Not enough players on offense and the one player who could have carried them (Shaq) didn't want to.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,799 Founders Club
    1994 (7-4)
    haie said:

haie said:

I'm talking about 2015, where they started Browning and Gaskin and the first game was a pathetic missed fg loss to Boise.

2014 was horrible too because Kikaha had a ton of sacks, Shelton was a top DL in the conference and you had Shaq and Peters.

That team probably wasn't as much of a contender as 2015 since a ton of offense players transferred out and our running backs/qb were awful but only winning 8 games with that schedule was an abortion. Pete lost the Stanford game with the dumb ass fake punt, lost the Arizona game via that fumble, but most losses were pathetically similar to the 2021 team's losses. Not enough players on offense and the one player who could have carried them (Shaq) didn't want to.
    That’s fair. I know they kicked a bunch of winnable games those first two years of Pete but I always looked at 2015 as a rebuilding year. True freshman QB, true freshman RB, a true freshman LT, RS freshman right tackle, Ross was out, sophomore Dante played like a pussy and the defense was replacing a ton of upper class talent.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,280 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2022
    2019 (8-5)
    I wasn't alive for the 80s teams so gotta throw those out.

The Lambo years were confounding, and like recent years, a complete miss to dominate a shitty Pac-10 at the time. Outside of ASU in 96 the teams that won the conference were super beatable with the talent UW had on the roster those years.

I assume you left off 1997 because of the injuries? That team legit had a terrible injury run. I'll always remember getting the Athlon season preview that year back when that was a huge deal and the only real college football preseason prognosis you got and seeing Washington at number one.

Hard to call Sark teams underachieving to me because their coach was Sark so what do you expect? And Oregon and Stanford were legit really good most of those years.

Might be recency bias, but I went 2019. That team played like shit other than like 2.5 games and still 4/5 losses were games they should have won. They also got all of the "toughest" games on their schedule at home. That team at the very worst should have went to an NY6 bowl.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,823 Swaye's Wigwam
    2019 (8-5)
    I voted ‘19 probably due to recency bias and a fading memory, but 1995 sucked ass. Lambo laying down and playing for a fucking tie against Keyshawn and Trooj was one of the most disappointing moments I’ve ever had at Husky Stadium. And I was stone cold sober, which did not help.
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,364
    1995 (7-4-1)

The 97 Nebraska game at legendary Husky Stadium was on fire. Probably the last time. The classy Huskers beat the shit out of our boys and twisted Brock's ankle and took our women away when they left

While I had already long given up on Lambo that started me giving up on the whole thing. After a brief flirtation in 2000 it was over. Gone. Plenty or warning and gone

The 97 Nebraska team can be seen on Big 10 Elite even though they were Big 12 then. The Husky game was circled on the schedule because like 91 for the Huskies, it was their chance to show the nation they could beat a top team (allegedly) on the road.

Nebraska from 94 to 97 was totally roided and filled with criminals because Osborne was tired of losing the right way and wanted some national titles. Mission accomplished

Meanwhile our DAWGS were going the other way towards soft fucking loserdom

I was there. Go Big Red echoing off the rafters. It reminded me alot of the Notre Dam game when they had Lou Holtz mid 90's. Heavy weight fight. I love Lambo as a DC but everyone who knew anything at the tim knew that he wasn't HC material. Oh well, atleast he wasn't a puzzy like Pete
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,451 Founders Club
    1995 (7-4-1)
    haie said:

16 team names score on 2015 team on basis of Vita and Gaines alone.

2015 offense playoff roster worthy......... if you say so
    2015 (7-6)
    godawgst said:

haie said:

You realize Gaines played for the 2015 team too right? 15 team had Feeney and Littleton and a better pass rush.
    edited August 2022
    1994 (7-4)

I wasn't alive for the 80s teams so gotta throw those out.

The Lambo years were confounding, and like recent years, a complete miss to dominate a shitty Pac-10 at the time. Outside of ASU in 96 the teams that won the conference were super beatable with the talent UW had on the roster those years.

I assume you left off 1997 because of the injuries? That team legit had a terrible injury run. I'll always remember getting the Athlon season preview that year back when that was a huge deal and the only real college football preseason prognosis you got and seeing Washington at number one.

Hard to call Sark teams underachieving to me because their coach was Sark so what do you expect? And Oregon and Stanford were legit really good most of those years.

Might be recency bias, but I went 2019. That team played like shit other than like 2.5 games and still 4/5 losses were games they should have won. They also got all of the "toughest" games on their schedule at home. That team at the very worst should have went to an NY6 bowl.

Excellent post along with Alexis's great post. I included Sark teams because I was trying to balance things out chronologically, but that was a mistake. '96 and '97 were epic underachievers, along with '93, '94 and '95.

We can actually blame Don James more than the UW administration for Lambo being appointed head coach.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,451 Founders Club
    1995 (7-4-1)
    haie said:

godawgst said:

haie said:

You realize Gaines played for the 2015 team too right? 15 team had Feeney and Littleton and a better pass rush.
    I do, and watched him vs. Oregon as a true freshman not be moved off his spot being double teamed all game.

16 team better at lb, corner, safety, wr, te, and OL
    edited August 2022
    2015 (7-6)
    godawgst said:

haie said:

godawgst said:

haie said:

I do, and watched him vs. Oregon as a true freshman not be moved off his spot being double teamed all game.

Literally the same fucking players but they didn't have Ross and had Feeney and Littleton.

JFC, what should Pete have done with that team?

Fucking 7 wins and a trophy from the Xazkby's Why the Fuck Are We Playing Southern Miss Bowl?

16 team "names score" on themselves plus/minus a few players is a fucking retarded take.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    2019 (8-5)
    godawgst said:

haie said:

godawgst said:

haie said:

16 team is better everywhere except outside pass rush. That’s pretty close too.
    2015 (7-6)

godawgst said:

haie said:

godawgst said:

haie said:

16 team is better everywhere except outside pass rush. That’s pretty close too.
    It's not about that. It's that almost all of the players were on that 2015 team and he won 7 games with an easier schedule.

They wouldn't "name their score" against that 2015 defense with a legit pass rush on Browning either.