Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

BONEM

13»

Comments

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

TXDawg said:

LawDawg1 said:

But Oregon claims to have a top 5 national fan base. How’s this possible?

Pretty solid that UW got its third best conference game viewership by playing itself.

Oregon's reputation is purely as an opponent, they have no substantial fan base who follows the team. People like when their team plays Oregon, because the idiots at ESPN think they're good, so if you beat them it's a notch in the belt.
    So, are you saying it’s not a notch on their belts? That Oregon has not been a good program?
    If you say IT enough times to yourself. That IT becomes reality. Nevermind the 2 Natty appearances and 6 Major Bowl wins since UW won their last.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,887
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kaepsknee said:

TXDawg said:

LawDawg1 said:

Pretty solid that UW got its third best conference game viewership by playing itself.

Oregon's reputation is purely as an opponent, they have no substantial fan base who follows the team. People like when their team plays Oregon, because the idiots at ESPN think they're good, so if you beat them it's a notch in the belt.
    So, are you saying it’s not a notch on their belts? That Oregon has not been a good program?
    If you say IT enough times to yourself. That IT becomes reality. Nevermind the 2 Natty appearances and 6 Major Bowl wins since UW won their last.
    Of the schools who have not won a NT in the past 20 years, Oregon has probably been the best program.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    edited July 2022

Kaepsknee said:

TXDawg said:

LawDawg1 said:

Of the schools who have not won a NT in the past 20 years, Oregon has probably been the best program.
    Oklahoma.

The right Stoops winning one in year 2 has now been a looong time ago.

But other than OU, not sure I can come up with a program that’s managed to accomplish as much UO that Georgia nattied.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

Kaepsknee said:

TXDawg said:

LawDawg1 said:

Oklahoma.

But other than OU, not sure I can come up with a program that’s managed to accomplish as much UO that Georgia nattied.

Yeah, I'd probably put OU ahead of UO, but I had 2000 as being good enough for gubmint work as it relates to this exercise.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    whlinder said:

Kaepsknee said:

TXDawg said:

LawDawg1 said:

Oklahoma.

Winners win and all that. With that said, I don't see that Oklahoma team beating Miami or Washington in a bowl matchup. They had a solid defense and an anemic offense as I recall.

Titles are titles, but some are better than others. The OU 2000 title is a little underwhelming IMO. YMMV.

• Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

whlinder said:

Kaepsknee said:

TXDawg said:

LawDawg1 said:

Oklahoma.

Titties are titties, but some are better than others.

Complete understatement here.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2022

whlinder said:

Kaepsknee said:

TXDawg said:

LawDawg1 said:

Oklahoma.

Winners win and all that. With that said, I don't see that Oklahoma team beating Miami or Washington in a bowl matchup. They had a solid defense and an anemic offense as I recall.

Titles are titles, but some are better than others. The OU 2000 title is a little underwhelming IMO. YMMV.

Miamuh would have won the (college football) Super Bowl in 2000, 2001 and 2002. They were clearly the best team in each of those seasons.

But that's not how college football used to work, which is what made it so fun. If it weren't for the gay BCS they would have played OU in the Orange Bowl in 2000 for the usual sodbuster beat down.

"Improvements" were already starting to ruin the game even in 2000.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

whlinder said:

Kaepsknee said:

TXDawg said:

LawDawg1 said:

Oklahoma.

Miamuh would have won the (college football) Super Bowl in 2000, 2001 and 2002. They were clearly the best team in each of those seasons.

But that's not how college football used to work, which is what made it so fun. If it weren't for the gay BCS they would have played OU in the Orange Bowl in 2000 for the usual sodbuster beat down.

"Improvements" were already starting to ruin the game even in 2000.
    That's what I'm missing: the ambiguity, the unanswered "what ifs" and the arguments. Now we have a system that spits out "Bama" every year. Great.