Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The gay dude got picked in the 7th round.

Comments

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I really don't care about michael sam and his whole schtick. I see him as a football player. But I guess saying people are allowed to cry when happy means I'm calling someone a homophobe, nice
  • Options
    QuornDawgQuornDawg Member Posts: 1,162
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

ESPN devoting some serious coverage to a guy that was almost Mr. Irrelevant.

Way to create the news there ESPN.

Right. Because the first openly gay player on an NFL team is created news.
    When they devote that much time to the coverage, yes it is.

He's a football player who happens to be gay. Big fucking deal.

Play the game, help your team win. I give a shit if want to suck cock or lick pussy, just do your job.
    And Jackie Robinson was just a baseball player that happened to be black.
    Good poont. There's a tragically long list of Hall of Fame worthy football players who never got to play in the NFL simply because they were gay. Those poor victims played their hearts out for the love of the game for next to nothing in the Queer Leagues, mostly unnoticed by mainstream America. The sport lost two generations of all time greats to this ignorance. Sam having the courage to cross the sexuality line should usher in a whole new era of talent and competition in the sport like we've never seen before. I bet he won't get to stay at the same hotels as his teammates or eat at the same restaurants as them on the road though.
    Dave Kopay needs to be in the HoF, and needs to be honored at a UW soccer game as a husky legend
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

Play the game, help your team win. I give a shit if want to suck cock or lick pussy, just do your job.
    Good poont. There's a tragically long list of Hall of Fame worthy football players who never got to play in the NFL simply because they were gay. Those poor victims played their hearts out for the love of the game for next to nothing in the Queer Leagues, mostly unnoticed by mainstream America. The sport lost two generations of all time greats to this ignorance. Sam having the courage to cross the sexuality line should usher in a whole new era of talent and competition in the sport like we've never seen before. I bet he won't get to stay at the same hotels as his teammates or eat at the same restaurants as them on the road though.
    Dave Kopay needs to be in the HoF, and needs to be honored at a UW soccer game as a husky legend
    He should raise the 12th man flag for the St Louis game
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    dnc said:

Homophobe.
  • Options

dnc said:

Homophobe.
    Yeah. But still.

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,584
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Good poont. There's a tragically long list of Hall of Fame worthy football players who never got to play in the NFL simply because they were gay. Those poor victims played their hearts out for the love of the game for next to nothing in the Queer Leagues, mostly unnoticed by mainstream America. The sport lost two generations of all time greats to this ignorance.

Sam having the courage to cross the sexuality line should usher in a new era of talent and competition in the sport like we've never seen before. I bet he won't get to stay at the same hotels as his teammates or eat at the same restaurants as them on the road though.
    rip APAG, holy fuck
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

dnc said:

Homophobe.
    He also came off as racist.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

dnc said:

Homophobe.
    He also came off as racist.
    +1

fuck whitey

• Options
    dnc said:

Good poont. There's a tragically long list of Hall of Fame worthy football players who never got to play in the NFL simply because they were gay. Those poor victims played their hearts out for the love of the game for next to nothing in the Queer Leagues, mostly unnoticed by mainstream America. The sport lost two generations of all time greats to this ignorance.

Sam having the courage to cross the sexuality line should usher in a new era of talent and competition in the sport like we've never seen before. I bet he won't get to stay at the same hotels as his teammates or eat at the same restaurants as them on the road though.
    Was Martin Luther King not that great because he had it easier than slaves?

Do you look down on veterans from wars in Iraq because those wars weren't as bad as the world wars?

Just because someone before you went through something more difficult does not diminish what you go through. That is how you stall progress.

Thousands of gay players have come and gone in the NFL and all of them were to afraid to come out while playing. Afraid for their jobs and afraid for their own safety. Michael Sam is the start of change. You can shit on it if you like but I prefer to go though life cheering progress.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

dnc said:

Do you look down on veterans from wars in Iraq because those wars weren't as bad as the world wars?

Just because someone before you went through something more difficult does not diminish what you go through. That is how you stall progress.

Thousands of gay players have come and gone in the NFL and all of them were to afraid to come out while playing. Afraid for their jobs and afraid for their own safety. Michael Sam is the start of change. You can shit on it if you like but I prefer to go though life cheering progress.
    citation needed.

I get the "nobody wants to come out while they're playing" argument, but how many NFL players have come out after their careers? I know of two, I'm sure there are a few others. But I have a really really hard time believing there have been thousands who were in the closet during their careers and remained in the closet their entire lives after the NFL. I think the number is probably closer to the low hundreds on the very high end.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

dnc said:

As for the rest of this, cheering progress is fine. Celebrating MLKJ is fantastic (King County stand up). The issue is people want to rush to crown Sam as the equivalent of Robinson, and he's not. I wasn't around during Dr. King's era, but if everyone was comparing his struggle with Frederick Douglass' I'd have taken issue with that. OTOH, Dr King still gave life for his cause (side note - National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis at the site of the King assassination is legit, very much worth a visit if you're ever in the mid south).

Props to Sam for stepping up and saying "this is who I am", but let his courage stand on its own merits. It didn't cost him a chance at the league, and it did earn him plenty of endorsement deals he wouldn't have had a prayer at as a late round pick otherwise. I understand there was risk involved, and props to him for taking it. But this isn't a guy putting his life on the line to open doors for his people. Let's not try and make it something it's not.

Ten years ago this would have taken serious cajones. Today, you get massively celebrated for coming out. He just happens to be the guy who is at the right place at the right time to be the first to do it when its relatively easy (historically speaking).
  • Options
    Making a comparison is not the same as saying something is equal. You need to learn the difference.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

As for the rest of this, cheering progress is fine. Celebrating MLKJ is fantastic (King County stand up). The issue is people want to rush to crown Sam as the equivalent of Robinson, and he's not. I wasn't around during Dr. King's era, but if everyone was comparing his struggle with Frederick Douglass' I'd have taken issue with that. OTOH, Dr King still gave life for his cause (side note - National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis at the site of the King assassination is legit, very much worth a visit if you're ever in the mid south).

Props to Sam for stepping up and saying "this is who I am", but let his courage stand on its own merits. It didn't cost him a chance at the league, and it did earn him plenty of endorsement deals he wouldn't have had a prayer at as a late round pick otherwise. I understand there was risk involved, and props to him for taking it. But this isn't a guy putting his life on the line to open doors for his people. Let's not try and make it something it's not.

Ten years ago this would have taken massive cajones. Today, you get massively celebrated for coming out. He just happens to be the guy who is at the right place at the right time to be the first to do it when its relatively easy (historically speaking).
    I don't want to fight with you anymore. Hug?
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,584
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    "Thousands of gay players"

Maybe in your wet dreams, APAG
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

Ten years ago this would have taken massive cajones. Today, you get massively celebrated for coming out. He just happens to be the guy who is at the right place at the right time to be the first to do it when its relatively easy (historically speaking).
    I don't know how to quit you

• Options
    QuornDawgQuornDawg Member Posts: 1,162
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

dnc said:

I'd rather shit on it and cheer progress. #abundance
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

dnc said:

I'd rather shit on it and cheer progress. #abundance
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

I don't know how to quit you

Still less gay than the closing minutes in a HHB podcast(The fuck?) between Race(RIP) and iDawg(RIP).