Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Here's Why Exiting the Pac-12 Would Be a Good Thing for UW

13»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    ntxduck said:

Oly said:

LawDawg1 said:

UW and Oregon will be treated like Utah and be asked to accept half for some time. Illinois, Rutgers, and the BIG bottom dwellers won the jackpot.

In what world is there a “super conference” with fucking Rutgers and Illinois and no Stanford? The Furd has more football history in the last 20 years than those two turds do all-time, brings in Bay Area TVs, has more money than any school in that conference by a significant degree and would be the academic giant of the conference (if that matters).

This makes slightly more sense if the Big boots Rutgers and Illinois. What do they have that the Zonas, Utah, and even Cal don’t have? I realize the Mid-Atlantic TV market, but does anyone watch Rutgers? I’ve spent a lot of time in northeast the last 7 - 8 years. Nobody there gives a fuck about college football. And Illinois is hot garbage other than strong (but spotty) academis.
    You are underselling Illinois considerably. Yes the football program hasn’t been good the last 30 years; however do have 5 national championships, 2 of the 10 best college football players of all time (Red Grange and Dick Butkus) and more importantly Chicago. Yes Northwestern is located in the city but IL have significantly more alumni in the city and follow the team way closer than NW. There is a reason, despite the crap football lately, Chicago turns passionate when IL is competitive. They rank middle of the pack in revenues in the conference.

They finally have competent leadership in their AD who has shown a commitment to fielding competitive teams (think the anti Jen).
    I lived in the Chicago area for about 18 months. I don’t remember seeing a single Illinois anything. I did see plenty of ND, tOSU, Michigan flags, bumper stickers, license plate frames. Yes, Illinois sucked at the time but there was zero interest in that school.
    All the Illinois grads I know are really into basketball and couldn’t tell you who the coach of the football team is at any given time. Similar to Arizona fans with their mentality.
    Worse.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

LawDawg1 said:

LawDawg1 said:

UW and Oregon will be treated like Utah and be asked to accept half for some time. Illinois, Rutgers, and the BIG bottom dwellers won the jackpot.

What do they have that the Zonas, Utah, and even Cal don’t have?
    A better conference with much stronger leadership and a media market that gives a shit about them. Everything the west coast doesn’t have. We are too busy policing the national politics and being woke.
    I’m talking about conference composition. If you’re building a super conference, Furd over those other two junk drawer pennies is a no brainer.

I know it’s fun to poke at the west coast as being total dreck, but in real life it’s not the case. 13% of the US population resides in just one of those states. And while nothing compared to the southeast, Texas and the Midwest, the west cares about cfb more than the mid-Atlantic and New England states.
    Unbelievably this is true. There is some level of needle movement for Va Tech in Virginia, but not much. In Maryland NOGAF at all. I have never seen a place with less involvement with CFB than the mid Atlantic. It's just an almost complete non-entity here. Nobody ever talks about it. At all. Ever.
    I agree. It was weird when I lived in Maryland. I transitioned some friends to asu. They all went to like small private schools in New York or Jersey

That's just kinda the culture out there. No concept of like big football schools

If you weren't a penn state nut you really didn't care
    This. And New England is worse. They REALLY DNGAF.
    To expand on the mid-Atlantic thing I figured I should give this a fair shake.

Virginia - southeast and central Virginia cares a good bit about VaTech. Nobody else in the state even thinks of cfb.

Maryland - NOGAF. Want some crab?

Delaware - Do not even know what the term cfb means. Coastal meth hottest ticket in town.

New Jersey - NOGAF. Jets Jets Jets!

New York. Like 4 people like Rutgers.

West Virginia - Ok have to call balls and strikes those Deliverance mother fuckers love them some WVU football.

Penn (I am as surprised as you that this is oftentimes considered mid-Atlantic.) - Yeah, cfb crazy state with the Pedos as the hot ticket.

So, out of 7 states you have one fanatic state (that most people consider to be more Midwestern than Mid Atlantic), one big fandom state, one sort of meh state, and four that don't even know cfb is on tv or know what it is.

I won't go through it but El Creepo is correct that the NE is even worse.

It's bad.
    To your post, PA is two states much the way Washington is two states. Far eastern PA, Philly, home to Penn and the Schuylkill River crew races … typical eastern seaboard: Pro Sports rules and a little bit of college sports in the way of ‘Nova hoops. Other than that, NOGAF. Whaddya got? Temple? Penn? Would you GAF? No.

Central and Western PA feels and acts more like the Midwest. State College and Pitt and the cradle of QBs and all that. Two totally different places.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,971
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

haie said:

One thing that makes no sense with some of the takes I've read.

"The B1G is fine with Rutgers and Maryland because of the of the TV markets"

But with UW

"Well the TV market doesn't matter as much as the brand of the school"

Which is it?

"An inside source told CBS that UW/UO are tweeners, not big enough for the B1G but still bigger than all the other Pac 12 schools"

Why the fuck would the SEC want Clemson then? They just punched well above their weight for a few years and they're fading fast with the same coach.

Nothing makes any sense (except UW/UO accepting a lesser revenue share to enter the B1G)

I'd rather disconnect entirely and then come back here in a few weeks to either see a flood of "Losing to Texas Tech will be special" threads or "Losing to Northwestern will be special" threads.

Oly said:

LawDawg1 said:

In what world is there a “super conference” with fucking Rutgers and Illinois and no Stanford? The Furd has more football history in the last 20 years than those two turds do all-time, brings in Bay Area TVs, has more money than any school in that conference by a significant degree and would be the academic giant of the conference (if that matters).

This makes slightly more sense if the Big boots Rutgers and Illinois. What do they have that the Zonas, Utah, and even Cal don’t have? I realize the Mid-Atlantic TV market, but does anyone watch Rutgers? I’ve spent a lot of time in northeast the last 7 - 8 years. Nobody there gives a fuck about college football. And Illinois is hot garbage other than strong (but spotty) academis.
    You are underselling Illinois considerably. Yes the football program hasn’t been good the last 30 years; however do have 5 national championships, 2 of the 10 best college football players of all time (Red Grange and Dick Butkus) and more importantly Chicago. Yes Northwestern is located in the city but IL have significantly more alumni in the city and follow the team way closer than NW. There is a reason, despite the crap football lately, Chicago turns passionate when IL is competitive. They rank middle of the pack in revenues in the conference.

They finally have competent leadership in their AD who has shown a commitment to fielding competitive teams (think the anti Jen).
    I lived in the Chicago area for about 18 months. I don’t remember seeing a single Illinois anything. I did see plenty of ND, tOSU, Michigan flags, bumper stickers, license plate frames. I’m Yes, Illinois sucked at the time but there was zero interest in that school.
    They always suck. When you have to bring up Red Grange to support your point, your school is making you work too hard. Stanford is 5x the football program. Illinois is entirely irrelevant in the truest sense.
    I meant they sucked more than they usually do.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,607
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I know who Illinois beat in their last Rose Bowl win

With Dick Butkus