Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

How are you cooking your steak these days?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
Most of my life I've been a steak on the grill guy, either on my Weber propane or charcoal if I'm feeling fancy. But always with some slow indirect heat to bring up to 100 degrees or so and then direct heat at the end to 120 or 125 to get the sear.

But the local fancy pants steak joint down the street, really excels at the cast iron method, which has inspired me. And I'm starting to perfect by own hybrid method, which is to start on the grill (indirect) for like 8 mins at 275 to 300 and then transfer to hot AF, cast iron for the sear. Butter with some garlic chunks in the pan. That buttered/garlic sear is something you just can't get on a grill.

Comments

• dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,244
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I just hope to not burn the fuck out of it. The wifey has been in the food industry and is serious about this shit. My confidence is shakin so I have underdone the last steaks we did. Weber charcoal.... We? Marinate and when approaching 130? Take off, slather in sauce and do a quick sear.

Grilling with hardwood charcoal, beer, and cigar is good tims
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm really not very good at steaks but almost always do them on my Weber charcoal grill. Still my favorite way to cook most meat anytime it isn't too cold and shitty outside.

I do steaks like I do salmon...at the highest temperature I think I can get it med-rare without scorching it too bad. I always nail it with salmon. Sometimes I almost get it right on steaks.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Sometimes with cast iron, sometimes with air fryer. Depends on whether I want to deal with smoke or not.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

I'm really not very good at steaks but almost always do them on my Weber charcoal grill. Still my favorite way to cook most meat anytime it isn't too cold and shitty outside.

I do steaks like I do salmon...at the highest temperature I think I can get it med-rare without scorching it too bad. I always nail it with salmon. Sometimes I almost get it right on steaks.

The versatility of the Weber Sputnik grill never ceases to amaze. @GrundleStiltzkin (RIP) tried to push me into Traeger and I'd love one, but, alas, Mr. Snow went full on Argentina last year and spent all the money. So it's Weber kettle grill ribs for the foreseeable future.
    Swaye's Wigwam

dannarc said:

I just hope to not burn the fuck out of it. The wifey has been in the food industry and is serious about this shit. My confidence is shakin so I have underdone the last steaks we did. Weber charcoal.... We? Marinate and when approaching 130? Take off, slather in sauce and do a quick sear.

My wife thinks she’s a great bbq master and always wants to cook on the grill. Being lazy, I said sure but you’re now the grill master.

It’s been a good 2 years since I last grilled anything.
    I'm a grill/bbq sexist. Could never entrust this task to them.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Steak? In this economy?

Things would have to get pretty bad before we cut out steak.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dannarc said:

My wife thinks she’s a great bbq master and always wants to cook on the grill. Being lazy, I said sure but you’re now the grill master.

It’s been a good 2 years since I last grilled anything.
    I'm a grill/bbq sexist. Could never entrust this task to them.
    Few are interested. Kind of a funny thing.
  • spudenspuden Member Posts: 353
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I’m pro reverse sear, similar to your bring it up to 100 and then get grill roaring hot and sear each side until temp is 118-120. Wife and I like rare to medium rare steak. However, I now do it sous vide for 2-2.5 hours at 123 in a vacuum sealed bag, then sear on grill or cast iron.

I prefer charcoal grill (Weber kettle is what I use) as it gives a preferable flavor and doesn’t turn on my smoke alarm when it’s too hot to open windows. It also is important to make sure you have a nice marbled steak. Also, a relatively inexpensive cut is skirt or flap steak. Don’t usually need to sous vide those, can just throw on hot grill and cook until about 115-120 in center. Highly recommend a Thermapen to get accurate reading.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,699
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    3.5 minutes a side over a gas grill
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,009
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

soak it up, boys.
    Swaye's Wigwam

3.5 minutes a side over a gas grill

$189.00 char broil special right?
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’m all about the reverse sear these days, easiest way to make steaks in bulk.

Bake in a 200f oven until internal temp 125. Then let rest, finish with a 2 min per side sear.

Steers and queers @LoneStarDawg for the win here. I need to get the oven cooking rack like you have for the super lower temp reverse sear. The only over rack I have is for prime rib which I do like a 5 hr cook before cranking up the oven.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    Warning, Cool Story - if you like white-trash stories.

I've got about an 18 year old stainless grill from Costco and the inside parts have rusted out 2 or 3x, but they're easy to replace. Began with standard steel grills over propane manifolds. Not bad, but not good. Upgraded to Mangrates for a few years, and those fuckers were great, but they destroyed the steel underneath, which I replaced with new cast iron grills. Good again for 3 or 4 years, then the iron replacement grills started flaking & cracking, so I pondered what next and decided to get one of those 16 x 24 Camp Chef griddle/grill thingys, tossed the old grills, retired the Mangrates with full Taps ceremony, because they were great for a long time and replaced the old grates with fucking excess rebar I had laying around in my garage.

Result? Best goddamn grilling I've ever done, and I've grilled my ass off on this Costco special for almost 2 decades. Light the manifolds, slide that griddle across the white-trash rebar suspension system and that grill heats up to 450 to 500 in about 5 minutes. Throw your steaks on and they are damn near black beauties in about 5-6 minutes per side for a 1.5" ribeye or NY.

Fuel Yield: The grill goes from off to 500 in about 7 minutes, cook for 10 or 12 minutes, then shut her off, saving tons of propane. Finally gave up on those fucking wire brushes that leave bristles everywhere, filed the edges of an old wood chisel so it fits perfectly within the grill grates and I scrape that fucker clean, groove by groove, in about 3 minutes after it cools down.

If you want to go fancy, go ahead. But the $50 I spent on that Camp Chef grill/griddle will probably keep me happy for another 5 - 10 years. Ironically, I ran Nat Gas to the BBQ area of the patio about 15 years ago, but I've never used it because my Costco special is propane only and it just lives on and on and on.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    edited June 2022

I’m all about the reverse sear these days, easiest way to make steaks in bulk.

Bake in a 200f oven until internal temp 125. Then let rest, finish with a 2 min per side sear.

Wood