Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What was your old man's favorite sporting event?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,885
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
For Papa Yellar, it was (and still is) the Tour de France and it's not close. Rose Bowl (my Dad was there on Jan 1, 1978) was distance 2nd.

I met Greg LeMond and Bernard Hinault at the end of stage once at the 1985 Coors Classic. Race ended at Squaw Valley Palisades Tahoe.

The 30 for 30 "Slaying The Badger" is great BTW if you haven't seen it.

Comments

• Options
    YouKnowItYouKnowIt Member Posts: 539
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    But what about your other dad?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    YouKnowIt said:

But what about your other dad?

Rose Bowl
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,214
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Husky football
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,801
    edited June 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97dEAb4KJ-Q

Nebraska/Oklahoma football game.

One year mom slipped on the ice.. He made her wait until the game was over before taking her to the hospital. She had a severe concussion.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

One year mom slipped on the ice.. He made her wait until the game was over before taking her to the hospital. She had a severe concussion.

What the fuck is wrong with America? How do the sodbusters not play each other?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,612
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dad was a lifelong SF Giants fan and later became an Ms and Giants fan. His favorite individual event probably goes back to the Mays/McCovey era.

I never saw him so pumped though, aside from some of my games as a teen, as he was in game 5 of the 95 wildcard series with NY.

When Bonds was in a tear and in the playoffs he'd call me after a Bonds homer to ask (triumphantly) why they ever pitched to him. He was definitely stoked to see the giants make a run toward what turned out to be the end for him.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Dad was a lifelong SF Giants fan and later became an Ms and Giants fan. His favorite individual event probably goes back to the Mays/McCovey era.

I never saw him so pumped though, aside from some of my games as a teen, as he was in game 5 of the 95 wildcard series with NY.

When Bonds was in a tear and in the playoffs he'd call me after a Bonds homer to ask (triumphantly) why they ever pitched to him. He was definitely stoked to see the giants make a run toward what turned out to be the end for him.

My Daddy got bullied by Bobby Bonds in High School. FTGs!
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,247
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Red River Shootout...My Pops hated Okie with the intensity of a thousand suns. I once asked him if the Sooners played Russia, who would he root for? He looked at me and said, "Can ya give me a few minutes to think it over?"...I think that several spinning records at the graveyard are broken every tim Sark leads them out of the tunnel. aTm not much better (Pops went to UT, my uncles both to aTm), he threw me out of the family home (as a 28 yr old college baseball corch) for wearing an aTm baseball shirt.

2nd place is The Masters
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,857
    Founders Club
    Old man Nacho is a euro trash soccer enthusiast who loves any of the euro league tournaments but the World Cup probably takes the cake for him.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,954
    Founders Club

I was born on a Saturday morning at 10:08a.m., Swedish Hospital.

At 11:30a.m., my dad said goodbye and went to Husky Stadium to watch UW beat Navy.

• Options
    Founders Club

Old man Nacho is a euro trash soccer enthusiast who loves any of the euro league tournaments but the World Cup probably takes the cake for him.

I'm sorry. What a dreadful childhood it must have been for you.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,483
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I've heard many stories about the unlimited hydroplanes being the best party of the year back in the day.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I've heard many stories about the unlimited hydroplanes being the best party of the year back in the day.

I never felt that way but the region would be gripped with Seafair fever. The Blue Angels would run test patterns right over my childhood home on W Lake Sammamish Pkwy, which was a thrill
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

...The 30 for 30 "Slaying The Badger" is great BTW if you haven't seen it...

I also recommend the documentary "Tour de Pharmacy."

My ol' man was into any sporting event on TV. Didn't really matter. Sports was life.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,857
    Founders Club

I'm sorry. What a dreadful childhood it must have been for you.
    Trust me, I watched very little of it.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    The Rose Bowl.

Since his old man played in it.
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,909
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Closing bars and chasing skirts.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,747
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Husky Football, no contest. My dad grew up a Husky fan in Tacoma. Later played D2 ball after serving in the Pacific, but remained loyal to UW, loved Don James and Jim Lambright and used to call me during games to make sure I was watching, well into his 70s. Boxing was always a close 2nd.