Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Kramer & Newman Clash With Record Store Owner | Seinfeld "The Record Store"

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's funny how when you went into a "record shoppe" in the mid 90's there few if any records for sale...just CDs and tapes were still a thing for some. Nowadays, CD stores are mostly dead and the only way to make money in physical music sales is with vinyl.
  • JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,059
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

It's funny how when you went into a "record shoppe" in the mid 90's there few if any records for sale...just CDs and tapes were still a thing for some. Nowadays, CD stores are mostly dead and the only way to make money in physical music sales is with vinyl.

I wonder if it’s people my age who grew up when cassettes were dying and cds were the way of life. Collecting your favorite albums in every form after you’ve already purchased the cd. Fast forward twenty years later and I have hundreds of cds but finding vinyls of the same artists I already have brings back the fun of going to the store we miss from long ago. Or it’s just a bunch of dorky hipsters who think retro is cool and I’ve been overthinking it
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I should do a pole of how many Seinfeld Youtub.com clips Stalin watches per day in his smoggy, studio apartment in Lynwood.

• rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,009
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

tim is a flat circle.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2022

I wonder if it’s people my age who grew up when cassettes were dying and cds were the way of life. Collecting your favorite albums in every form after you’ve already purchased the cd. Fast forward twenty years later and I have hundreds of cds but finding vinyls of the same artists I already have brings back the fun of going to the store we miss from long ago. Or it’s just a bunch of dorky hipsters who think retro is cool and I’ve been overthinking it
    I was a late adopter of the compact disc- i.e., first purchase in Dec 1994. There's definitively some albums I've owned in all 3 formats (although usually not concurrently because I sold off the cassettes before I got in vinyl heavy)- e.g., the Beatles catalog, first Doors album, Zep II, Tattoo You, Aftermath, to name a few.

Re: the dorky hipsters, I think buying vinyl for the retro cool piece of it mostly a waste of time. It takes a decent upfront investment in gear to do vinyl right and a good chunk of the cheaper reissues in the $21 to $24 range are cut from CD grade digital files so what's the point? Most of the high fidelity, cut from analogue tape reissues are in the $40 to $60 range these days.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I think the only medium I missed was 78rpm…cases of 8 tracks and cassettes, with some epic mix tapes of both, boxes of 45s were jettisoned from my parents’ stately manor upon its sale. I kept most of the LPs (with nothing to play them on), and am the proud owner of 6.5 cd wallets, 8 to a page…currently, the only CD player in my family is in my wife’s car….
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,706
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    As a kid we had my dad's 78s in the house
    Swaye's Wigwam

As a kid we had my dad's 78s in the house

I've held 78s in the my hand and they feel odd. Made of shellac instead of vinyl. Never listened to one.
  • JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,059
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

I think the only medium I missed was 78rpm…cases of 8 tracks and cassettes, with some epic mix tapes of both, boxes of 45s were jettisoned from my parents’ stately manor upon its sale. I kept most of the LPs (with nothing to play them on), and am the proud owner of 6.5 cd wallets, 8 to a page…currently, the only CD player in my family is in my wife’s car….

My friend had a 78 Cadillac we drove around for a year or two and we had a cardboard box of 8 tracks we shuffled through all the time while pounding our Busch tall boys. Music lovers can find a way to enjoy any form or comes in