Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Bruener on Going 4-8: 'Attitude Wasn't Where It Needed to Be'

Comments

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2022
    So the players feel the same way as the fans. Not really into it.

Saying loses can be helpful in the long run because "you know how it feels and you never want to go through that again" was said every year from 2003-2009.

Add "the players are working harder than ever" and he's on to something b

HTH.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    New attitude and ready to rumble in 2022?
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,835
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

New attitude and ready to rumble in 2022?

Every player is talking about the difference.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I've been saying this for a couple of years now. It's not NIL that's killing cfb (although it's certainly helping), it's the portal. You don't need an interview with Husky Maven to tell you that college football players give zero fucks, you just need to look at the numbers in the portal each year and see that it's roughly equal to the number of players actually out on the field. If the players are just mercenaries who don't give a fuck and shop for teams, why shouldn't the fans do the same thing? Why should I piss purple and shit gold for a program that's clearly struggling when I can just portal to a different fanbase and watch a team that wins?

Right now, you don't even have the "local kid who loves Seattle/Washington" angle to root for anymore, as the only local kids who sign for UW had zero other attractive offers.

It is quite amazing how fast the fall has been.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,476
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

I've been saying this for a couple of years now. It's not NIL that's killing cfb (although it's certainly helping), it's the portal. You don't need an interview with Husky Maven to tell you that college football players give zero fucks, you just need to look at the numbers in the portal each year and see that it's roughly equal to the number of players actually out on the field. If the players are just mercenaries who don't give a fuck and shop for teams, why shouldn't the fans do the same thing? Why should I piss purple and shit gold for a program that's clearly struggling when I can just portal to a different fanbase and watch a team that wins?

Right now, you don't even have the "local kid who loves Seattle/Washington" angle to root for anymore, as the only local kids who sign for UW had zero other attractive offers.

It's a great simple point. I think versions of the NIL and transfer portal were needed in college football but NIL and contracts needed to come first and then the transfer portal. They went with the portal first because it was cheaper and easier with a little bit of covid helping.

The transfer portal should have been kept as you can transfer if your coach leaves (not position coach), legit life emergency, or if you want to transfer down and that should have been opened up by conference as in you could transfer to the Mountain West from the Pac-12 without sitting out a year. Everything else you can transfer all you want but you gotta sit out a year.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

It's a great simple point. I think versions of the NIL and transfer portal were needed in college football but NIL and contracts needed to come first and then the transfer portal. They went with the portal first because it was cheaper and easier with a little bit of covid helping.

The transfer portal should have been kept as you can transfer if your coach leaves (not position coach), legit life emergency, or if you want to transfer down and that should have been opened up by conference as in you could transfer to the Mountain West from the Pac-12 without sitting out a year. Everything else you can transfer all you want but you gotta sit out a year.
    Neither the NIL or Transfer portal were needed. As you said, Players should be able to transfer if a head coach leaves or emergency. No portal needed. If a player transfers outside of that, they sit a year. If the players want to be paid what they are worth there should be a minor league or they should be allowed in the NFL at 18.
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,097

Neither the NIL or Transfer portal were needed. As you said, Players should be able to transfer if a head coach leaves or emergency. No portal needed. If a player transfers outside of that, they sit a year. If the players want to be paid what they are worth there should be a minor league or they should be allowed in the NFL at 18.
    Either or / Neither nor.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,917
    Founders Club
    MelloDawg said:

Either or / Neither nor.

• Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,258
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Players who don't have a local connection and interest to play for their city/state and want to embellish their brand, NIL, and draft potential is basically creating a shitty version of the NFL. Players dont give a rats ass about the team, it's about $ above everything. Stupid fucking NFL fans are the only ones that care about a certain team.

I am about ready to pick a Big Sky team and call it good.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,440
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Players attitude reflected the coaches who were complacent coming off of a 3 win North title.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dannarc said:

Players who don't have a local connection and interest to play for their city/state and want to embellish their brand, NIL, and draft potential is basically creating a shitty version of the NFL. Players dont give a rats ass about the team, it's about $ above everything. Stupid fucking NFL fans are the only ones that care about a certain team.

I am about ready to pick a Big Sky team and call it good.

#myeagles