Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Passage from the Emmert is Retiring article in The Athletic

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
In November 2010, Emmert took over as president of college sports’ governing body following tenures as the CEO at the University of Washington and LSU. The NCAA announced Tuesday that at some point between now and June 2023, Emmert will leave the office having presided over the near-complete dismantling of the organization and its once-unquestioned power. Whether that would have happened with or without him is a perfectly legitimate question. The world changed. The structure of the NCAA wasn’t designed to adapt quickly — to anything.

But Emmert cashed the (exceedingly large) checks. So he gets to wear the failure. ($2.9 million per year).

(Full article is posted and discussed in The Wam)

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,837
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Fuck that guy.

Thanks Taft!
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,172
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If Emmert had stood in the way of any of this he would have been vilified and run out

And the ncaa would already be broken up
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,433

In November 2010, Emmert took over as president of college sports’ governing body following tenures as the CEO at the University of Washington and LSU. The NCAA announced Tuesday that at some point between now and June 2023, Emmert will leave the office having presided over the near-complete dismantling of the organization and its once-unquestioned power. Whether that would have happened with or without him is a perfectly legitimate question. The world changed. The structure of the NCAA wasn’t designed to adapt quickly — to anything.

But Emmert cashed the (exceedingly large) checks. So he gets to wear the failure. ($2.9 million per year).

Is it? The Supreme Court ruled 9-0 against the NCAA.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,446
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I took a class at UW where the professor said, "Well...he's a good fundraiser"

I wonder who else that sounds like.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,558
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Is it? The Supreme Court ruled 9-0 against the NCAA.
    I feel everyone knew the NCAA was going to lose that case. I always assumed they put up the futile fight to buy time. Come up with at least the skeleton of a plan to regulate what was coming. Instead Emmert opened the floodgates. Some buoyed themselves on life rafts full of money while others stubbornly decided to ride out the flood and slowly drowned. Most just were washed away. What a colossal disaster ME presided over. I guess when you make 3mil a year you can afford to not give a shit. FTG
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,560
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club