Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

trip down memory lane

Just watched 2000 UW vs Erickson's OSU thugs on UWTV. Holy shit the beavs were good. This Beaver team was a field goal against UW away from a national title, the same team that hadn't been ranked in 30 years. Nobody was going to beat this team had they got past UW (Nasty defense, potent offense).

Fuck, Ochocinco was just one of three very good WR's. Simonton, Pat McCall(who was better than Simonton, which says a lot), Martin Mauer at TE and those fucking wicked DE's.

Erickson's beavs beat down Notre Dame in the fiesta bowl like they were a JV team (basically 50-0) That's a national title team Erickson WAS a good coach, and that team was good enough for a split vote, right along with #3 Washington., who got fucked by east coast bias!

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    National title team? They lost to UW.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    I once had similar thoughts about Erickson....... until I travelled all the way to Miami to watch the Whammy. I believe Erickson as a college coach moved around a lot because he typically couldn't recruit worth spit, while he could do a good job with somebody else's talent....... such as Riley's at Oregon State.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Oregon State was loaded in 2000. That was a hell of a game. You are right about nobody being able to beat them if they got past UW. They were nasty!
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    well the reason I brought it up is because Erickson took an OSU team that hadn't been ranked in 30 years, to a BCS bowl and a field goal miss from a national title. NO FUCKING WAY ERICKSON WOULD BE 7-6 IN YEAR 4, let alone year 3.

We use one 0-12 season as an excuse for sucking 4 years later. Good Lord, imagine losing for 30 straight years, and then going to a BCS bowl in year two? That's coaching. We got to the Las Vegas bowl in year 4. Yippie fucking skippie Sark.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133

UW finished #3 in the country Damone. You were prolly playing D&D with your band-geek buddies back then. UW was pretty good and worthy of NC votes
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,898 Founders Club

UW finished #3 in the country Damone. You were prolly playing D&D with your band-geek buddies back then. UW was pretty good and worthy of NC votes
    ****** has band-geek buddies?

Is having a band-geek buddy as important as having a Comcast guy?

Both Washington and OSU lost conference games that year. Neither deserved any first place votes. Oklahoma was 13-0. Stop being a dumbass.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,350 Founders Club

Both Washington and OSU lost conference games that year. Neither deserved any first place votes. Oklahoma was 13-0. Stop being a dumbass.

But you're conveniently forgetting that the Pac 12 >> Big 12

But you're conveniently forgetting that the Pac 12 >> Big 12
    Yes, silly me.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

Damone is a level 47 assassin class Wood Elf with +5 armor regen and a rare helm of bones 33% damage multiplier...respect da skillz, faggot. Clickity-clack!

Damone is a level 47 assassin class Wood Elf with +5 armor regen and a rare helm of bones 33% damage multiplier...respect da skillz, faggot. Clickity-clack!
    I have no idea what you just said.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

Yeah right, bro...tell it to your D&D band geek friends (ROFL)

Yeah right, bro...tell it to your D&D band geek friends (ROFL)
    Whatever
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,279 Founders Club
    edited June 2013

True, but the BCS "NC" game selection was controversial. Oklahoma was unbeaten, an easy selection. However, as I'm sure you recall, FSU, Miami, and UW were all conference champions with one loss. And, UW beat Miami, Miami beat FSU. Seems like the advantage should have gone to UW, yet FSU got the nod over both UW and Miami. Fucked up system for sure.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

True, but the BCS "NC" game selection was controversial. Oklahoma was unbeaten, an easy selection. However, as I'm sure you recall, FSU, Miami, and UW were all conference champions with one loss. And, UW beat Miami, Miami beat FSU. Seems like the advantage should have gone to UW, yet FSU got the nod over both UW and Miami. Fucked up system for sure.
    I argued the same when it happened, but with the benefit of hindsight both FSU and Miami were far superior teams to UW (and had far superior seasons).

UW's entire argument hinged on the fact we beat Miami in the second game of the year with a young QB in his first road game.

UW had the worst loss of the three, and the worst margin of victory, with similar schedules.

I'm glad we got to beat Drew Brees in the RB rather than get run over in the NC game..
    edited June 2013

I argued the same when it happened, but with the benefit of hindsight both FSU and Miami were far superior teams to UW (and had far superior seasons).

UW's entire argument hinged on the fact we beat Miami in the second game of the year with a young QB in his first road game.

UW had the worst loss of the three, and the worst margin of victory, with similar schedules.

I'm glad we got to beat Drew Brees in the RB rather than get run over in the NC game..
    Very debatable. Miami and FSU had more talent that UW, but that shouldn't matter. How did they have far superior seasons? UW's only loss was a road game to a top 10 team (Oregon). UW beat two top 10 teams (Miami, Oregon St). Miami did as well (FSU, Virginia Tech). Florida State had only one top 10 win (Florida.) Florida State making it before Miami and UW is bullshit, and UW had a legitimate case that they deserved to be in the BCS Championship because they beat Miami when they played. Point differential doesn't mean much to me when the teams have already played head to head.

Oklahoma beat FSU 13-2 in the title game. I know they were loaded on defense, but I have a really hard time believing UW would get shut out on offense like FSU did. Tui would have willed us to a couple of scores. It would have been a good game... What could have been.

• SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,279 Founders Club

There is no way to know what would have happened in a UW-Oklahoma game that year. Miami had the best team in the country in terms of talent, no doubt about that. I attended a few games played by most of that group of Canes including a game in the Swamp where they absolutely stole the Gators manhood. They had a string of first round draft picks. But, UW did beat them in 2000 and they did it with very physical play. Just my 0.02, but head to head play trumps the other factors you've mentioned. I still think UW deserved to play Oklahoma and also believe that that UW team matched up better against Oklahoma than that FSU team did.
    Oklahoma was 13-0. Simple fact. Case closed. UW lost to oregon and beat some very average to poor teams in less than dominating fashion. That cost them votes. End of discussion.
    edited June 2013

Oklahoma was 13-0. Simple fact. Case closed. UW lost to oregon and beat some very average to poor teams in less than dominating fashion. That cost them votes. End of discussion.

Not sure what Oklahoma has to do with this. Nobody is arguing about them.

• HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    edited June 2013

It cost them more than votes (they were 4th in both major polls) - UW was absolutely destroyed in the computers. UW was 10, 5 , 8 and 11 in the BCS computer poles (included one designed to show UW was the rightful NC in 1991). Compare that to Miami at 3, 3, 2 and 2, or FSU at 2, 1, 1 and 1.

The truth is, outside of a few UW fans abusing the transitive property, we weren't even in the discussion for the title game in 2000.