Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Greatest MTV unplugged of all time?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Greatest MTV unplugged of all time? 28 votes

Eric Clapton
0%
Neil Young
7%
chuckCougzz 2 votes
Jay- Z
0%
Alice in Chains
14%
greenbloodBad_MotherDuckerSourcesJoeEDangerously 4 votes
Nirvana
71%
DerekJohnsonMikeDamoneSwayejecornelwhlinderRoadDawg55Mad_SonAtomicDawgYouKnowItTheHBTequillahuskyhooliganFenderbender123spudenIPukeOregonGrellowlouism2washTurdBomberYellowSnowEl_KStLouisDawg 20 votes
Pearl Jam
0%
Mariah Carey
0%
Rod Stewart
7%
PurpleThrobberLebamDawg 2 votes
Yo! Unplugged Rap (Tribe Called Quest, LL Cool J, De La Soul)
0%
F.O. Row Peter Puffer
0%

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,925
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Nirvana
    and it's not even close
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,612
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Neil Young
    Not really a fan of any of them tbh. The good ones...Clapton, Nirvana, Neil and AIC, all had some good moments and plenty of meh moments for me.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nirvana
    chuck said:

Not really a fan of any of them tbh. The good ones...Clapton, Nirvana, Neil and AIC, all had some good moments and plenty of meh moments for me.

FTG
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nirvana
    chuck said:

I think the format was kind of meh for most artists. NY basically invented the genre- i.e., electric rock and roll guy doing unplugged shows in the late 60s and early 70s. I don't count Dylan as unplugged pre '65 cause that's all he was.

Nirvana is really the only one that I think is essential because so many of the songs were kick ass covers that they made their own.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nirvana is the only one I've seen
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Alice in Chains
    Alice in Chains impressed me for how bad of shape Layne Staley was at the time. They had to wheel him around to each show
  • Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,086
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nirvana
    The two song performance by Bon Jovi in 1989 that started it all is strong on its own

KISS was good because it brought Ace and Peter back and Bruce and Eric into the unemployment line.

Clapton somehow won a zillion Grammys for his dog shit of an album.

It seems quite a few of the performances were only on the TV show it seemed.
    REM
    The Cure
    SRV
    Prince
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,534
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Rod Stewart
    I heard Rod always beets Neil
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,794
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    mariah carey was unplugged?
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nirvana
    chuck said:

chuck said:

FTG
    Quiet Damone.

No
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Nirvana
    Nirvana vs Field still isn’t competitive

Clapton is probably 2nd
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nirvana
    Tequilla said:

Clapton is probably 2nd

I think most of the live albums released in the rock era (call it 81%) are non essential, because either (a) the live versions are inferior to the studio ones, or (b) they don't feature a lot of material only available on the live album. Nirvana Unplugged really is on the Mt Rushmore of Live Albums, I think. I think the live takes of About a Girl and Come as You Are best the studio ones. And the Bowie, Meat Puppets, and Lead Belly covers are all essential and equal or better than the originals.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,086
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Nirvana

Tequilla said:

Clapton is probably 2nd

I think most of the live albums released in the rock era (call it 81%) are non essential, because either (a) the live versions are inferior to the studio ones, or (b) they don't feature a lot of material only available on the live album. Nirvana Unplugged really is on the Mt Rushmore of Live Albums, I think. I think the live takes of About a Girl and Come as You Are best the studio ones. And the Bowie, Meat Puppets, and Lead Belly covers are all essential and equal or better than the originals.
    This is one of the best covers of all time
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,861
    Standard Supporter
    Nirvana

Tequilla said:

Clapton is probably 2nd

A lot of live albums suffered from poor acoustics and recording setups. If the crowd is really loud, it's hard for the band to tell if they're singing the right note, too. The Beach Boys released a live album, and Brian Wilson was smart enough to edit the shit out of it, strengthen the vocals, etc. I think there might also be a song or two that wasn't even recorded live. At that point, does it still count as a live album?

Nirvana's unplugged album is definitely the best. As you said, almost every song on it is the best version of that song. Everything is perfectly mixed. No mistakes. And I read somewhere (not sure if true) that Nirvana did the whole thing in one take, whereas normally MTV had the bands re-record some stuff for the official release.

I heard Nirvana's version of Lake of Fire first, and I think it ruined the Meat Puppet's version. It doesn't even sound like the Meat Puppets are playing it correctly....and they wrote the thing! I'm not even a big Nirvana fan, either, but here I am gushing about their Unplugged album. Gushing like a granny I tell ya.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nirvana

Tequilla said:

Clapton is probably 2nd

A lot of live albums suffered from poor acoustics and recording setups. If the crowd is really loud, it's hard for the band to tell if they're singing the right note, too. The Beach Boys released a live album, and Brian Wilson was smart enough to edit the shit out of it, strengthen the vocals, etc. I think there might also be a song or two that wasn't even recorded live. At that point, does it still count as a live album?

Nirvana's unplugged album is definitely the best. As you said, almost every song on it is the best version of that song. Everything is perfectly mixed. No mistakes. And I read somewhere (not sure if true) that Nirvana did the whole thing in one take, whereas normally MTV had the bands re-record some stuff for the official release.

I heard Nirvana's version of Lake of Fire first, and I think it ruined the Meat Puppet's version. It doesn't even sound like the Meat Puppets are playing it correctly....and they wrote the thing! I'm not even a big Nirvana fan, either, but here I am gushing about their Unplugged album. Gushing like a granny I tell ya.
    Perfect summation. The entire album has 4 or 5 covers which beat the originals. Kurt had incredible knowledge of all the deep cuts to cover.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,925
    Founders Club
    Nirvana

Tequilla said:

Clapton is probably 2nd

I remember hearing The Beach Boys at the Kingdome after a Mariners game in the early 1980s. I've never been a fan of them, but the acoustics were absolutely awful. Must have been brutal trying to play and keep time with all the echoes and reverbs.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nirvana

Tequilla said:

Clapton is probably 2nd

I remember hearing The Beach Boys at the Kingdome after a Mariners game in the early 1980s. I've never been a fan of them, but the acoustics were absolutely awful. Must have been brutal trying to play and keep time with all the echoes and reverbs.
    The Beach Boys we're NEVER compelling as a live act. There's a reason why they were a free show if you bought tickets to a ball game.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Nirvana
    Here's my take on why they never crushed it as a live band:

Their original recording contract in the 60s required them to produce 3 new albums a year, which ate up a bunch of time the band could have spent rehearsing for live performances. Necessary for heavy harmonizing vocal type stuff. It's tough getting everyone's part nailed down.

Brian Wilson's deafness in one ear likely made it more challenging to hear himself singing. Then he quit touring altogether in 1964 (occasionally would join) which is a major loss. Then he got into drugs and fucked up his voice in the 70s. So did Dennis.

Much like The Beatles, The Beach Boys were starting to write and record a lot of songs that were difficult to perform outside the studio, due to the instruments and recording techniques used. For example, California Girls was recorded with drums, piano, vibes, assorted percussion, three guitars, both an electric and a double bass, three saxophones, a trumpet, and an organ, not to mention six-part harmony vocals (according to Google). That's just too much to translate to a live performance. And on some songs, they had a session drummer contribute to the recording because Dennis wasn't familiar with certain techniques and patterns. While touring, it was just Dennis. So certain songs (Hawaii, for example) didn't translate well for live performances.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Nirvana

Tequilla said:

Clapton is probably 2nd

The 80s weren't a good time for the Beach Boys. And yeah, a stadium is a terrible venue for a vocal group like that.