Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

How to Sear a Steak in Cast Iron | Chuck Eye Steak Recipe

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,060
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I do a mean cast iron skillet youtube channel host impersonation. Stalin can confirm.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,176
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Cowboy Kent’s latest video on Discada Mexicana is mouth watering
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I like to call him “Cookie”. TWILTCH
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,607
    I let it get a bit too hot a few months ago. Poured a bit of avocado oil in and it just immediately lit on fire lol.
    Was used to gas so didnt realize that my electric stove just gets it super hot. Gotta preheat on medium
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,601
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited April 2022
    This is good info... thx, i just bought a BBQ so that i can cook with the cast iron and not smoke out the kitchen... it sounds like I have been cooking too hot but I think that depends on the meat... like lamb as an example I have been cooking at 500 degrees skillet temp and its been turning out incredibly well
  • Options
    edited April 2022

This is good info... thx, i just bought a BBQ so that i can cook with the cast iron and not smoke out the kitchen... it sounds like I have been cooking too hot but I think that depends on the meat... like lamb as an example I have been cooking at 500 degrees skillet temp and its been turning out incredibly well

Yeah I was so freaked out by that I got an infrared thermometer. Usually sear around 500 now

Also I tend to put the oil on the steak now vs in the pan. Less spitting same sear
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited April 2022
    so the BBQ i just bought has a 14,000 BTU infrared side burner for searing meats on the side of the BBQ... it heats quickly... Gas is forced through ports in a ceramic plate and ignited, heating to 1800°F in 30 seconds producing high heat searing. Anyone have any experience with that? Seems like you would sear the meat for 15- 30 seconds or? I had planned on cooking with the cast iron skillet in the main BBQ area at 500 degrees after searing on the side burner but haven't tried it yet. Any advice?
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,060
    Swaye's Wigwam

so the BBQ i just bought has a 14,000 BTU infrared side burner for searing meats on the side of the BBQ... it heats quickly... Gas is forced through ports in a ceramic plate and ignited, heating to 1800°F in 30 seconds producing high heat searing. Anyone have any experience with that? Seems like you would sear the meat for 15- 30 seconds or? I had planned on cooking with the cast iron skillet in the main BBQ area at 500 degrees after searing on the side burner but haven't tried it yet. Any advice?

Whatever you do, reverse sear at the end. Get that meat eaven medium rare from center to edge and then sear.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited April 2022
    A new thought! shoot i will try that... :) Everyone always says to sear first to hold in the juices...
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,282
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I do a mean cast iron skillet youtube channel host impersonation. Stalin can confirm.

It's spot on
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,609
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Whatever you do, reverse sear at the end. Get that meat eaven medium rare from center to edge and then sear.
    I've done it both ways on the charcoal grill and it makes no difference as to flavor or how done the meat is. If you sear first over a flame you just need to turn the meat every 15 seconds while developing a crust on it and you won't overcook it. My man Guga sears his steaks first before going indirect.
  • Options

I've done it both ways on the charcoal grill and it makes no difference as to flavor or how done the meat is. If you sear first over a flame you just need to turn the meat every 15 seconds while developing a crust on it and you won't overcook it. My man Guga sears his steaks first before going indirect.
    Reverse sear is nice when youre cooking inside. Because it dries it out a lot on the outside so it doesnt spit much