Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    edited March 2022
    Season on the Brink, by John Feinstein.

The “General” . . .

https://www.sbnation.com/longform/2015/2/4/7958467/bobby-knight-profile-feature

There will never be another Coach Bobby Knight . . .
    Distant second: Mike Leach

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uZaOFTp5_C8

This rant was after a game against Baylor where Texas Tech won the game.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,951 Swaye's Wigwam
    trublue said:

Distant second: Mike Leach

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uZaOFTp5_C8

This rant was after a game against Baylor where Texas Tech won the game.

That one inspired a well used acronym here.

Knight was more aggressive and prone to violence. Leach has more fun. They have more similarities than differences though.
    edited March 2022
    I love the phrase “aggressive and prone to violence.” Understatement.

After reading Season on the Brink (following the Indiana program around with Knight as Indiana’s Head Coach for an entire season), I was shocked that kids (even in the 80’s) would put up with the verbal, physical and psychological abuse his players were subjected to on a daily basis. This was a National Championship team (1987) with Steve Alford on it to boot. Steve Alford got more than his share of Knight’s screaming and antics.

I went to the Final Four in Indianapolis in 1980 - Purdue. Iowa, UCLA and Louisville. Two Big-10 teams in Final Four. Knight did some local interviews and commentary. Never heard anybody like him before in my life.

Indiana won it the next year (1981).

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,951 Swaye's Wigwam
    trublue said:

I love the phrase “aggressive and prone to violence.” Understatement.

After reading Season on the Brink (following the Indiana program around with Knight as Indiana’s Head Coach for an entire season), I was shocked that kids (even in the 80’s) would put up with the verbal, physical and psychological abuse his players were subjected to on a daily basis. This was a National Championship team (1987) with Steve Alford on it to boot. Steve Alford got more than his share of Knight’s screaming and antics.

I went to the Final Four in Indianapolis in 1980 - Purdue. Iowa, UCLA and Louisville. Two Big-10 teams in Final Four. Knight did some local interviews and commentary. Never heard anybody like him before in my life.

Indiana won it the next year (1981).

One of the similarities between him and Leach is that they both think they're the smartest person in the room and both severely overrate their intellect. I always found Knight really uncomfortable to listen to even though I wanted to find something redeeming about him. He had a way of building up to a point but never making it, just like Leach does, and then acting smug about the brilliant point he felt he had made...just like Leach does.

They both make a good exhibit A for the point mobster used to make here on a regular basis. Most coaches are block heads.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,827 Swaye's Wigwam
    Leach is on the spectrum so he gets a bit of a pass because … assburgers. Knight actually is aware of life around him and is just an asshole. An evil asshole.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,615 Founders Club
    Knight ran a clean program
    Define “clean”.
  • PuffyLittleGinagePuffyLittleGinage Member Posts: 88
    trublue said:

Define “clean”.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!