Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Best Husky Linebacker in the Modern Era? (1970-2021)

2»

Comments

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,612 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2022
    Mason Foster
    Doogles said:

How does bbk not make the voting list?

Because a bunch of dumb shits here railed on him in 2017 and then didn't want to eat shit when he was a main reason we won the conference in 2018 and was an AA.

You can't teach those kind of instincts and open field tackling skills. LBs getting critical interceptions is every DC's wet dream.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,827 Swaye's Wigwam
    Joe Kelly
    Didn’t see this guy on the pole, so went with Kelly.

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,951 Swaye's Wigwam
    Donald Butler

BBK was an All-American, led the country in tackles, and was absolutely essential for making the defense work for two straight seasons. I get that he wasn't an "intimidator" or whatever, but has any other Husky linebacker ever had that level of production? And he even did it in a more pass-happy era than a lot of these others.

For perspective, Michel Jackson holds several defensive school records for the Huskies, including single season (210) and career (569) tackles.... 8 year starter for the Hawks...

BBK finished with 176 in 2018 and 338 total for comparison... yes great player but not in the top 10 probably in that his 18 stats were inflated by poor play from complementary players ~ obviously no knock against him, he was busting his ass and making the plays.
    Agreed, plus BBK, while always active and in on plays, was a liability in some ways prior to that senior year. He was notably bigger and more powerful as a senior. His career stats are excellent, but we all watched him getting run over and dragged around for three years.
  • WRDawgWRDawg Member Posts: 55
    Ink Aleaga worth a mention?
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,951 Swaye's Wigwam
    Donald Butler
    WRDawg said:

I think the list of other guys mentioned and in the poll is a little too strong for him to be on.

I am always amazed, even a little bothered, that I always seem to be the only one that mentions Cooper. He stood out on the defenses he played with like a sore thumb. If he wasn't making the tackle the chances are that nobody was within 20 yards of the LOS. Fortunately he was everywhere.

Definitely one of my favorite players ever at UW.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,668 Founders Club
    Dave Hoffmann
    WRDawg said:

His name was on there but then removed because I felt like the '16 team needed to be represented