Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Great Babe Ruth story

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,086
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
I'm reading The Big Bam, a book by Leigh Montville. Around 1917, Ruth is pitching for Boston. Lead off hitter comes up, Ruth throws a pitch and its called a ball. Ruth yells at the ump.

He delivers a second pitch, it's called ball 2. Ruth yells at the ump.
He throws a third pitch, it's called ball 3. Ruth yells at the ump.
He throws a fourth pitch and walks the hitter. Ruth yells at the ump even louder.

Ump yells at Ruth to shut up or he'll eject him from the game.
Ruth responds that if he gets thrown out, he will punch the ump "in the nose".
Umpire throws Ruth out of the game.
Ruth charges home plate and attacks the umpire.
It takes several people to remove Ruth from the field.

A reliever is called in from the bullpen and only given eight pitches to warm up.
Game resumes, and the runner that Ruth walked gets thrown out at 2nd.
Relief pitcher proceeds to retire the next 26 batters in a row.

It remains in the record books as a combined no-hitter.

Comments

• Options
    Ron_FairlyRon_Fairly Member Posts: 368
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1

I'm reading The Big Bam, a book by Leigh Montville. Around 1917, Ruth is pitching for Boston. Lead off hitter comes up, Ruth throws a pitch and its called a ball. Ruth yells at the ump.

He delivers a second pitch, it's called ball 2. Ruth yells at the ump.
    He throws a third pitch, it's called ball 3. Ruth yells at the ump.
    He throws a fourth pitch and walks the hitter. Ruth yells at the ump even louder.

Ump yells at Ruth to shut up or he'll eject him from the game.
    Ruth responds that if he gets thrown out, he will punch the ump "in the nose".
    Umpire throws Ruth out of the game.
    Ruth charges home plate and attacks the umpire.
    It takes several people to remove Ruth from the field.

A reliever is called in from the bullpen and only given eight pitches to warm up.
    Game resumes, and the runner that Ruth walked gets thrown out at 2nd.
    Relief pitcher proceeds to retire the next 26 batters in a row.

It remains in the record books as a combined no-hitter.

I had heard that before, but not the bolded. So now I know the rest of the story
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Ty Cobb would have actually punched the ump. There would have been no warning.

HTH.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Ty Cobb would have actually punched the ump. There would have been no warning.

HTH.

atleast the umpire accepted the pitches Babe had already thrown. MLB was phasing that program out and Babe could have been stuck with no reward at all. He still should have punched the ump working though.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I used to have a ball autographed by Babe Ruth. But my adopted son didn't know who he was so he used it in a sandlot game with his friends. Someone hit a home run with it and unfortunately over the fence was into a yard with a huge, mean dog. Might ask the owner about getting it back but he's black, so, you know...

I'm calling bullshit. You probably traded it for Blazers tickets.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I used to have a ball autographed by Babe Ruth. But my adopted son didn't know who he was so he used it in a sandlot game with his friends. Someone hit a home run with it and unfortunately over the fence was into a yard with a huge, mean dog. Might ask the owner about getting it back but he's black, so, you know...

You should tell your stepson to show his friends his erector set and see what they can all come up with

• Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

I'm calling bullshit. You probably traded it for Blazers tickets.
    I already have season tickets.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

I know you are being sarkastic but that autograph wasn't Babe Ruth it was Stringfellow.
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

I know that story is true because they made a movie about it...
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

YOU PLAY BALL LIKE A GIRL!
  • Options
    Founders Club
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

The Sultan of Swat
    The Colossus of Clout
    The King of Crash, man
    The GREAT BAMBINO!!!