Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,896
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    When I was in 2nd grade, a friend of mine showed me his huge collection of Todd Van Poppel rookie cards (in hard covers, of course) and said they were each going to be worth a ton of money.

That's the only thing I remember about the guy.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,835
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Got to love that offer list
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

With the last offer dump, that's become pretty par for the course. After our initial offers to the guys everyone has oferred, there's been a lot of Colorados, Arizonas, San Diego States, and the like on the offer sheets for our newer targets
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,084
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

When I was in 2nd grade, a friend of mine showed me his huge

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

With the last offer dump, that's become pretty par for the course. After our initial offers to the guys everyone has oferred, there's been a lot of Colorados, Arizonas, San Diego States, and the like on the offer sheets for our newer targets
    Given the perceived state of our NIL it feels like that’s the level where our recruiting battles will be fought until proven otherwise

I mean Jordan Reffert was busy telling me that I’m an idiot (partially right but not for the reasons he thinks) and was quoting NIL numbers that wouldn’t be that bad of true … he assured me that he knows what’s up

The next day I saw that he was pissed because he lost betting ON the Lakers … excuse me if I don’t blindly follow his opinion
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,114
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

When I was in 2nd grade, a friend of mine showed me his huge collection of Todd Van Poppel rookie cards (in hard covers, of course) and said they were each going to be worth a ton of money.

I still have those. It gives me a good laugh. Same with the likes of Ben McDonald and Brien Taylor
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,169
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I always got down trodden baseball cards but had some great NFL cards like Johnny Unitas

Really didn't care either. They were for bike spokes
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

I had a Todd Van Poppel Tacoma Tigers card when I was a kid.

I was convinced Scott Brosius was going to be a future hall of famer
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

I still have those. It gives me a good laugh. Same with the likes of Ben McDonald and Brien Taylor
    I was doing some stuff in Peoria many years ago, and witnessed a workout Brien Taylor had with the M's that may have been his last...it was really sad to watch, the dude was legit before the injury...Van Poppel "coulda been a contender" as well...
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,114
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

I was doing some stuff in Peoria many years ago, and witnessed a workout Brien Taylor had with the M's that may have been his last...it was really sad to watch, the dude was legit before the injury...Van Poppel "coulda been a contender" as well...
    I think he’s the only or one of only two that were picked first that never played in a major league game
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I had a Todd Van Poppel Tacoma Tigers card when I was a kid.

I was convinced Scott Brosius was going to be a future hall of famer
    Troy Neel was the stud power hitter on the Tigers. Somehow I don’t remember Brosius on the Tigers.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    Founders Club
    I just went and looked this up. Here are the #1 picks overall in the draft for the Mariners

1979 Al Chambers
    1981 Mike Moore
    1987 Ken Griffey Jr
    1993 Alex Rodriguz
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I just went and looked this up. Here are the #1 picks overall in the draft for the Mariners

1979 Al Chambers
    1981 Mike Moore
    1987 Ken Griffey Jr
    1993 Alex Rodriguz

50 percent hall of fame is pretty good
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

1979 Al Chambers
    1981 Mike Moore
    1987 Ken Griffey Jr
    1993 Alex Rodriguz

50 percent hall of fame is pretty good
    It will be 25%. A-Rod gets the Barry Bonds treatment.
    Agree but he belongs
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Given the perceived state of our NIL it feels like that’s the level where our recruiting battles will be fought until proven otherwise

I mean Jordan Reffert was busy telling me that I’m an idiot (partially right but not for the reasons he thinks) and was quoting NIL numbers that wouldn’t be that bad of true … he assured me that he knows what’s up

The next day I saw that he was pissed because he lost betting ON the Lakers … excuse me if I don’t blindly follow his opinion
    There is simply no buzz enticement/incentive around program right now. Long term if your battling Buffs, UA, Aztecs, Cal's, etc for recruits that's where your ceiling is going to be.

Last two classes were abysmal, and with recruiting being year around until main signing day in December we have passed the 1/4 mark in this cycle and so far it has been underwhelming.

• Options
    Fear_BonerFear_Boner Member Posts: 755
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    LIPO? These coaches are better than the last crew and seem to be more inclined to recruit. Jimmy was a pair of lead boots dumped into the ocean to drown the progrum.