Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mariners projected starting 9 per Roto Site

TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,563
5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
Projected Lineup
Player POS AB HR RBI AVG
1 J.P. Crawford SS 585 10 57 0.255
2 Adam Frazier 2B 540 9 49 0.272
3 Mitch Haniger OF 567 32 88 0.247
4 Ty France 1B 547 20 77 0.278
5 Jarred Kelenic OF 454 21 63 0.220
6 Kyle Lewis DH 390 16 50 0.244
7 Abraham Toro 3B 381 13 50 0.249
8 Jake Fraley OF 276 11 38 0.232
9 Tom Murphy C 250 11 33 0.216

Will this team hit? or is this another season of the bad news bears

How soon will they call up Rodriguez?

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,614
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Probably not enough.

I think Toro is a pretty likely trade candidate. I also think Dipoto doesn't like Kyle Lewis and he could be traded as well, but only If the Ms were to land Suzuki.

They'd trade Fraley and Murphy too if they could find any takers. Raleigh will be the primary starter until his bat fails.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    I agree that Fraley is a 5th outfielder level talent and only a placeholder until they can either bring up the rookie or sign someone as a starting LF
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Can't see Fraley starting in the OF.

Guessing Rodriguez is up sometime in May (or 5-8 weeks after the season starts, whenever it starts).
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,487
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited February 2022
    I know that batting average doesn't matter anymore, but that is a dogmeat lineup. Something tells me their record last year was a mirage and they take a step backwards this year (if MLB plays games).
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Its like middle of the pack. If they had dominant pitching this would be fine, but they don't so probably another almost made the playoffs season.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Its like middle of the pack. If they had dominant pitching this would be fine, but they don't so probably another almost made the playoffs season.

If this was the lineup they were going with, they hadn't just signed the Cy Young award winner, and Logan Gilbert wasn't going into year two then I'd agree with parts of what you wrote.

There are no sure things or the same team would win every year. I'm feeling pretty good about the roster though given the likelihood that Kelenic and France will improve, who they added and the fact they're in perfect position to add more.
  • Options
    chuck said:

If this was the lineup they were going with, they hadn't just signed the Cy Young award winner, and Logan Gilbert wasn't going into year two then I'd agree with parts of what you wrote.

There are no sure things or the same team would win every year. I'm feeling pretty good about the roster though given the likelihood that Kelenic and France will improve, who they added and the fact they're in perfect position to add more.
    I doubt France improves much, but as long as he doesn't drop off he's a very good piece. Kelenic is almost guaranteed to improve, and probably by a lot.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

chuck said:

I doubt France improves much, but as long as he doesn't drop off he's a very good piece. Kelenic is almost guaranteed to improve, and probably by a lot.
    France was still recovering from an injury early on and it drug his season numbers down. His second half is who he is, I bet, except that he'll have a modest increase in power. Two halves like that rather than one is a pretty significant improvement.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I'd like to see them sign Kris Bryant. Another year removed from his shoulder issue and slots in nicely at LF. Can also play some 3B if need.

Fraley would only spell him, he's not very good against LHP.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

I'd like to see them sign Kris Bryant. Another year removed from his shoulder issue and slots in nicely at LF. Can also play some 3B if need.

They need a bonerfide third baseman with power. If they're after Bryant as reported then it better be to play third.

It hasn't really shown yet and won't unless Kyle Lewis gets healthy and/or Julio Rodriguez is ready, but there's a log jam in the outfield and they apparently want Suzuki too. They need to find a way to add pop to the infield and I think all options are on the table. Neither Toro or Frazier is guaranteed to stay in Seattle, nor is Kyle Lewis, and there are options at first base that could push France back to DH/utility guy.

I'm not sure Fraley stays on the roster.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

HFNY said:

They need a bonerfide third baseman with power. If they're after Bryant as reported then it better be to play third.

It hasn't really shown yet and won't unless Kyle Lewis gets healthy and/or Julio Rodriguez is ready, but there's a log jam in the outfield and they apparently want Suzuki too. They need to find a way to add pop to the infield and I think all options are on the table. Neither Toro or Frazier is guaranteed to stay in Seattle, nor is Kyle Lewis, and there are options at first base that could push France back to DH/utility guy.

Is there a 3B in free agency you like?
  • Options
    chuck said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

France was still recovering from an injury early on and it drug his season numbers down. His second half is who he is, I bet, except that he'll have a modest increase in power. Two halves like that rather than one is a pretty significant improvement.
    I want to believe this line of thinking but anyone who gets HBP as frequently as France does is going to deal with nagging hand and wrist injuries that sap his power here and there. He might have a random year or two where he's fully healthy (and a random year or two where he's banged up all year) but overall what we saw from last season is what is reasonable to expect from him IMO. I hope I'm wrong but the dude got hit excessively in college and the minors too. Pretty sure this is just part of the package with him.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Id like to see them sign K Bryant as as well ~ as a third baseman... guys that play solid at the hot corner with a bat and hit for average are hard to find ~ this guy is a good one defensively and when he squares up the ball it is gone, even in safeco.. its a one time opportunity that i think is worth the signing. JMO.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

chuck said:

HFNY said:

Is there a 3B in free agency you like?
    None that I know of, but free agency isn't the only route. I really think they can afford to trade with teams who want to rebuild and do it without mugging the prospects list.
    dnc said:

chuck said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

I want to believe this line of thinking but anyone who gets HBP as frequently as France does is going to deal with nagging hand and wrist injuries that sap his power here and there. He might have a random year or two where he's fully healthy (and a random year or two where he's banged up all year) but overall what we saw from last season is what is reasonable to expect from him IMO. I hope I'm wrong but the dude got hit excessively in college and the minors too. Pretty sure this is just part of the package with him.
    Thats a good point. It's easy to forget how often guys get hurt from that.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    I wonder what the medicals are on Matt Chapman's shoulder and what Oakland would realistically want in return since he may not ever get back to 2019 form (and will be 29 in April).

Jeff McNeil could be interesting, if healthy he could hit over .300 and 15 HRs with some positional versatility (2B / 3B / LF). JD Davis would be a good fit if his D was better and he also didn't get dinged up so much.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited February 2022
    When u say Oakland I assume u mean the Las Vegas a’s… IMO there isn’t anyone on that team we want to trade for with the exception of the thundering first base bat… our target really should be 5hat hard to get stable bat that is mature, has been the superstar (failed) and is now ready to be a proven steady talent to build around

bryant
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

When u say Oakland I assume u mean the Las Vegas a’s… IMO there isn’t anyone on that team we want to trade for with the exception of the thundering first base bat… our target really should be 5hat hard to get stable bat that is mature, has been the superstar (failed) and is now ready to be a proven steady talent to build around

bryant

I'd love to have Bryant. He'd fit perfectly as a 3B / LF though his D may not last much longer at 3B...maybe 2022 and 2023 before moving to a LF / DH role. I don't think I'd sign him to anything more than a 4 year deal (assuming his shoulder checks out).

I'm not sold on Toro hitting against LHP so maybe against RHPs, Bryant plays LF and Toro plays 3B while against LHPs, Bryant plays 3B and a RH bat plays LF (Lewis if healthy?). Lewis then DHs vs. RHP.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

bryant

Bryant isn't worth what he's going to get paid and committing that to him will hurt down the road. If he'd sign a two year deal then sure.

Chapman costs prospects but isn't a long term committment. Neither of them are a good investment long term.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

bryant

Bryant isn't worth what he's going to get paid and committing that to him will hurt down the road. If he'd sign a two year deal then sure.

Chapman costs prospects but isn't a long term committment. Neither of them are a good investment long term.
    Would you do a 2 year deal with Bryant with a $5 million buyout for a 3rd year at $25 million?

In other words, a 2 year $40 million deal with a team option for a 3rd year at $25 million (and a $5 million buyout).
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    And there's this: https://mlbtraderumors.com/2022/02/mariners-on-the-hunt-for-bats.html

I'd take Donaldson if the Twins wouldn't ask for much in return since Bryant is likely looking for a 3 or 4 year deal (and probably over $20 million per).