Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,363 Swaye's Wigwam
    Hopefully he gets a big extension with the Rams soon. If Donald plays a few more years having Gaines next to him will be huge for the Rams. Don't think Donald and Gaines could have slowed down Bryce Love in the second half of 2017 though.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,868 Founders Club
    If you could bring in a ringer coach for the 16 playoff game to coach the team Pete built who would you choose?

Saban isn't eligible

Sweeny comes to mind since they won it

Don James was a great bowl coach
    edited February 2022
    Does Dabo bring the massage parlor monster QB with him? Otherwise, I don't think even Belichick would have won that game against Bama with UW's roster. It was a personnel loss and not a scheme loss. The only coaching decision in that game I can think of was not playing it more conservative before the half and allowing Browning to throw that pick six and even if you avoid that, it's still almost assuredly a 10 or maybe 7-point loss. I always forget they chose against a makable field goal in the final minutes to try for a TD and I bet they kick the FG if it's a 17-7 without the pick six.

The USC loss earlier in the season was a personnel/QB loss too.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,827 Swaye's Wigwam

Does Dabo bring the massage parlor monster QB with him? Otherwise, I don't think even Belichick would have won that game against Bama with UW's roster. It was a personnel loss and not a scheme loss. The only coaching decision in that game I can think of was not playing it more conservative before the half and allowing Browning to throw that pick six and even if you avoid that, it's still almost assuredly a 10 or maybe 7-point loss. I always forget they chose against a makable field goal in the final minutes to try for a TD and I bet they kick the FG if it's a 17-7 without the pick six.

Disagree

Pete and his tight cheeks was unsuited for the big game. Proved it time and again

UW in 78 didn't have half the players Michigan had. And Moon had sucked most of his career. Oklahoma 84 was in the midst of one of the great runs in history and Hugh Millen was the UW QB

The 16 defense was championship level if they had the coach who knew what to do with it
    Peterman parlayed the Boise Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma into a reputation as being some kind of offensive wizard who would pull out every trick in the book to win a game. Compare his reputation at the end of his run with what it was when he coached the blue team and it's night and day. Not saying he should have pulled out all the stops against Bammer, but he definitely pulled in the reins and played not to get blown out.

DJ at his peak may not have beaten Alabama in '16, but it would have been interesting. Either way.
    TheHB said:

Disagree

Pete and his tight cheeks was unsuited for the big game. Proved it time and again

UW in 78 didn't have half the players Michigan had. And Moon had sucked most of his career. Oklahoma 84 was in the midst of one of the great runs in history and Hugh Millen was the UW QB

The 16 defense was championship level if they had the coach who knew what to do with it
    Peterman parlayed the Boise Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma into a reputation as being some kind of offensive wizard who would pull out every trick in the book to win a game. Compare his reputation at the end of his run with what it was when he coached the blue team and it's night and day. Not saying he should have pulled out all the stops against Bammer, but he definitely pulled in the reins and played not to get blown out.

DJ at his peak may not have beaten Alabama in '16, but it would have been interesting. Either way.
    I think the defense realistically did just about all they could to win that game and all but seven of the points they gave up lie heavily on the offense (pick six, short field from fumble, gassed from being on the field all day).

I don't see anyone beating Alabama that year without a playmaker at QB. I try to picture any scenario of Browning making plays against that defense in a tight game and my brain can't even imagine something that doesn't seem like it's on the edge of disaster the entire time.

Seems crazy to think now, but Hugh was 6'5 215 and a 3rd round pick who started a bunch of games in the NFL and played 10 years. Browning was a UDFA who it's been a minor miracle he's been able to stay on practice squads for a few years. Hot gf though.

Of the big Petersen games the only one I really equate to winning with better coaching is Auburn in 2018. I wouldn't count them as big games, but also every loss in 2019.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,951 Swaye's Wigwam

Disagree

I think you're partially right.

It was clear that the personnel issue, their offense against UWs defense, was big too. The most pivotal plays invthe game, aside from the pick 6, came as a result of their running back being roo powerful and fast for UWs defense to tackle.
    The reason Clemson needed the qb for all those points is because they gave up all those points

UW never should have allowed long runs playing against Hurts

Put 11 in the box.
    And yes it's all speculation on my part but man, that was some defense
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,951 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Disagree

It was clear that the personnel issue, their offense against UWs defense, was big too. The most pivotal plays invthe game, aside from the pick 6, came as a result of their running back being roo powerful and fast for UWs defense to tackle.
    Disagree. They were tired. Gaines hit him in the backfield, McIntosh should have brought him down, Bierria overran/quit on the play because he thought Scarborough was going to be tackled.

The forgotten part is UW gave up a 3rd and 9 draw play inside the 5. Alabama was playing to punt. The long TD run should have never happened. The game was over tho. UW wasn’t scoring twice.
    UW was physically weak compared toand had zero depth. That's why they were tired. It doesn't seem that we disagree at all.

That draw play was the pivotal play. Make that stop and six points come off the board and UW has real momentum.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,719 Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Disagree

Disagree. They were tired. Gaines hit him in the backfield, McIntosh should have brought him down, Bierria overran/quit on the play because he thought Scarborough was going to be tackled.

The forgotten part is UW gave up a 3rd and 9 draw play inside the 5. Alabama was playing to punt. The long TD run should have never happened. The game was over tho. UW wasn’t scoring twice.
    UW was physically weak compared toand had zero depth. That's why they were tired. It doesn't seem that we disagree at all.

That draw play was the pivotal play. Make that stop and six points come off the board and UW has real momentum.
    UW gained 44 yards on 30 plays in the 2nd half.

As good as our D was in 2016, we were outmatched in every phase of the game.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,612 Swaye's Wigwam

The reason Clemson needed the qb for all those points is because they gave up all those points

UW never should have allowed long runs playing against Hurts

Put 11 in the box.

🍺

Our dumb fuck staff bought into the hype with Hurts.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Hurts threw for 50 yards. We did play an extra big guy up front. Besides one run, defense played well.

We would have needed everything to go right. Budda catches and returns the pick on Alabama’s first drive. We still have that magical drive. We play conservative after that. Psalm picks up the fumble in their territory. We get another 3 or 6 from that.

Hypothetically having a different coach than Pete…. Anyone that could coach an offense and score 17-21 points.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Does he play for the Huskies ?
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    TheHB said:

Disagree

Fuck Petersen. He gave us taste of what could be, then bitched out when he was on the big stage. And now the program is in shambles just 2 years later.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,350 Standard Supporter
    edited February 2022

chuck said:

Disagree

JoJo Mac nicknamed "friendly fire" knocked Gaines off that tackle that would have been a safety and changed the game. Although a Bama O lineman tackled Vita from behind and he may have landed on Gaines as well. That's what I remember.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,630 Standard Supporter
    The 3rd and 9 play still kills me. Happened right in front of me. Should have been punt and short field for our Down’s syndrome offense to try to make it close.

Our offensive issue, besides Brownsocks, was true Freshman Nick Harris trying to block Jonathan Allen. Nick is a great Husky, but as a frosh was overmatched.