Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What is up with Crystal Balls staff in Miami?

Bryan McClendon his WR, CO-OC, who was with him in whoregon, is bailing today to go to Georgia. As of today he only has 3 coaches on his staff and he’s been turned down by quite a few. Is crystal a prick or is Miami cheap?
The only recruit I can think of that this would effect would be Dave Luli who hasn’t shown Boner and the boys much respect anyway.

Comments

• OreDawgOreDawg Member Posts: 583
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    They paid Cirstoball like 8-9 mil APY, I'm sure a large assistant pool was part of it. Maybe he's just being really deliberate in his approach. He's swung big and missed on a few OCs so far, but all would have been great hires. I think they'll be fine.
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,484
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    He wins enough I guess but he’s definitely a bit of a prick(WFC) and I can see his shtick wearing thin on UCs and coaches.

I mean he’s a demanding guy. He’s a new head workaholic and I think that sleep in the office mindset probably makes up for deficiencies elsewhere.

I’d say his strengths are that he’s Uber organized and commands a certain culture and work ethic and that gets you big returns in recruiting, but he’s also a micro-manager who should probably keep his nose out of offensive play-calling but he just can’t help himself.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,876
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    He'll be back to being an offensive tackles coach in about 3 years
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,484
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • MotrboatnsobMotrboatnsob Member Posts: 424
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

ACC is just as bad as pac-12 might take a bit longer. Does seem odd to not have a staff after about 2 months though.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Idk think he will be successful, that conference is even worse than PAC-12. So I think his formula of out recruiting everyone will work for him. Unlike jimmy lake Mario is serious about winning
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

Idk think he will be successful, that conference is even worse than PAC-12. So I think his formula of out recruiting everyone will work for him. Unlike jimmy lake Mario is serious about winning
    I think they will be paper tigers compared to some other teams in the South, but I mostly agree. He get to 9-10 wins right away. It’s hard to see them getting over the hump, but maybe with the right QB they could.
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Meat has an excellent QB much like when he inherited Herbert. He’ll make him look pedestrian in the passing game the next two years as he establishes his SEC tuff persona at the U.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Lol. This place. Still watching a 7-win Miami team from 3,000 away. You guys give the DWOOGs a run for their money in the WDWHA Olympics, and that is saying something.

He has taken the 69th ranked recruiting class to possibly breaking into the T20 and he hasn't even unpacked yet. He will do better at Miami than he did at Oregon. I'm confident of that. Whether it's 30 years ago or not is another matter. But he will have the horses in the stable for 30 years ago.

For those of you hoping to see him flop, my best guess is that you'll be sorely disappointed

Plagiarizing @creepycoug
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Lol. This place. Still watching a 7-win Miami team from 3,000 away. You guys give the DWOOGs a run for their money in the WDWHA Olympics, and that is saying something.

He has taken the 69th ranked recruiting class to possibly breaking into the T20 and he hasn't even unpacked yet. He will do better at Miami than he did at Oregon. I'm confident of that. Whether it's 30 years ago or not is another matter. But he will have the horses in the stable for 30 years ago.

For those of you hoping to see him flop, my best guess is that you'll be sorely disappointed

Plagiarizing @creepycoug

That's not plagiarizing my verbose Duck friend; that is a copypasta.

Learn the difference or LEAVE!!!!

Bryan McClendon his WR, CO-OC, who was with him in whoregon, is bailing today to go to Georgia. As of today he only has 3 coaches on his staff and he’s been turned down by quite a few. Is crystal a prick or is Miami cheap?
    The only recruit I can think of that this would effect would be Dave Luli who hasn’t shown Boner and the boys much respect anyway.

JFC. We? have got to get you guys to stop reading @Sledog 's posts and learn to read, write and speak the Queen's English in this country!!!!!!!!

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2022

Plagiarizing @creepycoug

Maybe because we are college football fans? Ask away champ about non Husky/Duck topics. I got opinions on every team and coach because I watch and read about it all the fucking time.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Might be a job security thing. Stable employment in an unstable profession might be worth more for a lot of people.

Might be a job security thing. Stable employment in an unstable profession might be worth more for a lot of people.

I may be wrong about this for non-HC positions. But does anybody want anybody who is concerned about the fact that a bunch of mediocre losers had short tenures? Do the winners consider only those jobs where the predecessor loser got 10 years to get it right?

Brian Kelley and Brian Kelley just took a job recently vacated by a guy who's a stop watch away from having won a natty. That's a winner move.

Two of those guys were coaching a bowl game as interims. They don't count.

Plagiarizing @creepycoug

I’m sure you have commented on Sark and other coaches from the PAC 12 when they went to other places.

The rest of your post reads like a “leveling up” doog post. Cristobal is a very good recruiter and will do well bringing in talent. At least on paper talent.

In order to be great tho, other teams have to drop off. Did Clemson have a down year or is it more? How is Miami going to compete with Alabama, Georgia, LSU, etc?

It’s not as easy as get talent and win.
    It is incumbent on me as one of the posters here with elite intellectual honesty and integrity to point out that @RatherBeBrewing did some creepy copypasta of a post I pinched off on the Duck board in response to their 24/7 vigil on what Mario is doing, since, of course, TDWHAW.

So you are reading what I wrote to them, and he cleverly brought it over here. He's clever like that.

Anyway, my Canes need some O linemen and they need them now and I'm confident that, if nothing else, he'll do that.

Miami can recruit with those programs if they start winning. The fact that they ever beat any of them for anybody, and they have, despite being horrible, is a testament to that. The combination of school and recruiter with Crisco right now is about as good as it gets. So I'm confident he will bring in the raw material. Hopefully good QB play will be a constant and hopefully he pulls together the right staff.

I have no idea if he's being picky or careful or if it has become a tough sell. We shall see. I'd rather he take his time than just bring in a warm body. Losing McLendon wasn't great, but oh well.
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Shannon, defensive guy gonna bring tuff back to the U. Nope.
    Golden, this is the guy, the up and coming coaching star. Imagine what he's going to do with FL talent. Nope.
    Richt, this guy is a WINNER. He's going to bring the talent level back and own FL. Nope.
    Diaz, gotta have this guy. He understands Miami and what it takes to win there. Nope.
    Mario, the guy is an elite recruiter and he's a Cain to the core. He gets it. SEC tuff to the U.

Bet on MOTS. It's Miami post 2000 until it isn't.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    Swaye's Wigwam

I may be wrong about this for non-HC positions. But does anybody want anybody who is concerned about the fact that a bunch of mediocre losers had short tenures? Do the winners consider only those jobs where the predecessor loser got 10 years to get it right?

Brian Kelley and Brian Kelley just took a job recently vacated by a guy who's a stop watch away from having won a natty. That's a winner move.

Two of those guys were coaching a bowl game as interims. They don't count.
    I'm guessing $95 million had something to do with that profile in courage...
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557

Plagiarizing @creepycoug

That's not plagiarizing my verbose Duck friend; that is a copypasta.

Learn the difference or LEAVE!!!!
    I haven’t seen verbose used in a while. It’s the little details like that which make your opinion worth something, even when you’re completely wrong. Four years until the banners fly again.

46XiJCAB said:

Shannon, defensive guy gonna bring tuff back to the U. Nope.
    Golden, this is the guy, the up and coming coaching star. Imagine what he's going to do with FL talent. Nope.
    Richt, this guy is a WINNER. He's going to bring the talent level back and own FL. Nope.
    Diaz, gotta have this guy. He understands Miami and what it takes to win there. Nope.
    Mario, the guy is an elite recruiter and he's a Cain to the core. He gets it. SEC tuff to the U.

Bet on MOTS. It's Miami post 2000 until it isn't.
    Well, if you intend to be at all even handed about this, that line up has happened to pretty much every program in the country, and at any given time, 80% of programs, including those with history, find themselves in the middle of that skid.

A couple things to say about that: (1) nobody ever said Shannon was a tough guy; and (2) Golden was the guy any reasonable person would have expected to work out. That is as good a formula as you get: produced unprecedented results at an historically putrid program as the HC. That probably has a better hit rate than former successful P5 HC. See Chip Kelley for recent evidence of the latter.

This is ostensibly a huge fucking guessing game. Might as well hire somebody who you know will at least bring in some Jimmys and Joes and hope for the best with the Xs and Os.