Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I'll be fine

Comments

• Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,827
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Daddy's rifle in my hands, felt reassuring...

His best album IMO is the most hidden in your pic. Since I haven’t listened to all the full albums you display, what albums do you (or anyone else here) recommend ahead of “Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere?” I also own ATGR, RNS, and Harvest, so familiar with those, all great too.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,742
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Rogan averages 11,000,000 listeners each podcast.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,645
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

His best album IMO is the most hidden in your pic. Since I haven’t listened to all the full albums you display, what albums do you (or anyone else here) recommend ahead of “Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere?” I also own ATGR, RNS, and Harvest, so familiar with those, all great too.
    Zuma, Ragged Glory (all pretty hard, guitar driven rock full of soloing), Freedom (kind of like Rust except Crime In the City and Don't Cry are like nothing else he's ever done), Sleeps with Angels (gloomy as fuck) all rate about equally with three of the four you mentioned, well ahead of Harvest, and are probably albums you'd like. Time Fades Away is sloppy but good.

It takes me decades to catch up sometimes. I've heard most of his stuff since Sleeps With Angels, but Prairie Wind is the only one I've bought and listened to regularly (it's very mellow).
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Zuma, Ragged Glory (all pretty hard, guitar driven rock full of soloing), Freedom (kind of like Rust except Crime In the City and Don't Cry are like nothing else he's ever done), Sleeps with Angels (gloomy as fuck) all rate about equally with three of the four you mentioned, well ahead of Harvest, and are probably albums you'd like. Time Fades Away is sloppy but good.

It takes me decades to catch up sometimes. I've heard most of his stuff since Sleeps With Angels, but Prairie Wind is the only one I've bought and listened to regularly (it's very mellow).
    Gracias! With football seasoning waning, I’ll need to get back to streaming full albums at work.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,060
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

For me, it's 3 way tie between Nowhere, Tonight and Rust.

Nowhere has the best guitar jams with Crazy Horse.

Tonight is the arguable the most drunken, sloppy rock record ever not name Exile on Main Street. And I love drunken, sloppy rock and roll way more than progressive, technically gifted shredding.

Rust is Neil's best album in terms of lyrics.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Gracias! With football seasoning waning, I’ll need to get back to streaming full albums at work.
    I'd try Ragged Glory first. It's probably the most easily consumable and is definitely the most fun. There are a couple of somewhat serious songs but even those are spare on lyrics and long on jamming. It's all live, in-studio recording and Neil leaves all of the fuckups, feedback etc. in which is, well, fucking glorious. Farmer John, Fuckin Up, Love to Burn, and Mansion On the Hill are the highlight songs for me but they're all good (except mother earth. I suppose it was cool in the moment and he makes some cool wailing sounds with his guitar, but it's pretty cheesy.

Zuma is different but pretty easy to digest too. It's pretty much all about him being dumped and trying to understand and claw his way out of the murk. He describes that condition better than anyone else ever has for my money.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

For me, it's 3 way tie between Nowhere, Tonight and Rust.

Nowhere has the best guitar jams with Crazy Horse.

Tonight is the arguable the most drunken, sloppy rock record ever not name Exile on Main Street. And I love drunken, sloppy rock and roll way more than progressive, technically gifted shredding.

Rust is Neil's best album in terms of lyrics.
    I don’t think I ever heard this one on classic rock radio, but this was what got me hooked on Neil Young:

https://youtu.be/SNl13t9ZtmA
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

I'd try Ragged Glory first. It's probably the most easily consumable and is definitely the most fun. There are a couple of somewhat serious songs but even those are spare on lyrics and long on jamming. It's all live, in-studio recording and Neil leaves all of the fuckups, feedback etc. in which is, well, fucking glorious. Farmer John, Fuckin Up, Love to Burn, and Mansion On the Hill are the highlight songs for me but they're all good (except mother earth. I suppose it was cool in the moment and he makes some cool wailing sounds with his guitar, but it's pretty cheesy.

Zuma is different but pretty easy to digest too. It's pretty much all about him being dumped and trying to understand and claw his way out of the murk. He describes that condition better than anyone else ever has for my money.
    I’m a music guy, not a lyrical guy. I dislike lyric first music, and only like vocals that compliment the sound. It’s probably why I don’t dislike commie pinko fascist musicians like other freedom loving people do, because if their hate speech is melodic with the instruments, then I don’t give a shit. I would strongly however wish they preach a different message, but I am all about sound.

Unless I am drunk.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Genius songwriter, below average guitar player… cunt of a guy

I’m waiting for the Rogan pod with Clapton.

Neil can’t play guitar like Clapton but kicks the shit out of the guy as a writer of songs.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,555
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Do I have to join Spotify to not listen to NY?

Should we notify NY that we listen to both of them? or is that not allowed?

I don't think Rogan cares...but should I listen to NY until Rogan advises me not to?

Damn these politics anyway
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ATBS Neil should take his own advice

"Walk On"

I hear some people
    been talkin' me down,
    Bring up my name,
    pass it 'round.
    They don't mention
    happy times
    They do their thing,
    I'll do mine.

Ooh baby,
    that's hard to change
    I can't tell them
    how to feel.
    Some get stoned,
    some get strange,
    But sooner or later
    it all gets real.

Walk on, walk on,
    Walk on, walk on.

I remember
    the good old days,
    Stayed up all night
    gettin' crazed.
    Then the money
    was not so good,
    But we still did
    the best we could.

Ooh baby,
    that's hard to change
    I can't tell them
    how to feel.
    Some get stoned,
    some get strange,
    But sooner or later
    it all gets real.

Walk on, walk on,
    Walk on, walk on.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

ATBS Neil should take his own advice

"Walk On"

I hear some people
    been talkin' me down,
    Bring up my name,
    pass it 'round.
    They don't mention
    happy times
    They do their thing,
    I'll do mine.

Ooh baby,
    that's hard to change
    I can't tell them
    how to feel.
    Some get stoned,
    some get strange,
    But sooner or later
    it all gets real.

Walk on, walk on,
    Walk on, walk on.

I remember
    the good old days,
    Stayed up all night
    gettin' crazed.
    Then the money
    was not so good,
    But we still did
    the best we could.

Ooh baby,
    that's hard to change
    I can't tell them
    how to feel.
    Some get stoned,
    some get strange,
    But sooner or later
    it all gets real.

Walk on, walk on,
    Walk on, walk on.

A hip drag queen and a side-walkin' street wheeler
    Comin' down the avenue
    They're all your friends, you'll come to love 'em
    There's a load of 'em waitin' for you
    Lookout Joe, you're comin' home
    Old times were good times
    Remember Millie from down in Philly?
    She took my brain and forgot my name
    The woman you were with was about the same
    She took your money and left town
    Glory hallelujah
    Will I lay my burden down?
    Singin' on the streets around
    Look at that crazy clown (look at him)
    Remember Bill from up on the hill?
    A Cadillac put a hole in his arm
    But old Bill, he's up there still
    Havin' a ball, rollin' to the bottom
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Voice of the anti-establishment movement and sticking it to the man turns out to be a bitch and wants people he disagreed with to not have a voice.

Turns out these people were just as full of shit as those they railed against in the 60s and 70s.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,175
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Neil can’t play guitar like Clapton but kicks the shit out of the guy as a writer of songs.
    Clapton has some good tunes out there, lot of overplayed radio hits. Clapton just had the street cred from fellow guitar legends that Neil doesn’t have that gives his mystique. Neil’s catalog is FAR more superior in my opinion.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Clapton has some good tunes out there, lot of overplayed radio hits. Clapton just had the street cred from fellow guitar legends that Neil doesn’t have that gives his mystique. Neil’s catalog is FAR more superior in my opinion.
    I'll always put Clapton on the Mt Rushmore of technically gifted rock guitarist. But yeah, he can't hold Neil's jock strap as a songwriter. And most of his best work was in the group setting- i.e., Cream, Beatles, Blind Faith, Delaney and Bonnie, Derek and the Dominos, etc
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,175
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I'll always put Clapton on the Mt Rushmore of technically gifted rock guitarist. But yeah, he can't hold Neil's jock strap as a songwriter. And most of his best work was in the group setting- i.e., Cream, Beatles, Blind Faith, Delaney and Bonnie, Derek and the Dominos, etc
    Mainline Florida is a bitchin song from his late seventies stuff and I’ll admit some of his eighties songs are poppy but guilty pleasures
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Clapton's best song is a Beatles song.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I have Layla as his best

Duane Allman