Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Heaps was really bad last year:

G Comp Att Pct Yds Y/A Y/G TD Int Long Sack YdsL QBRat
    Jake Heaps 11 128 261 49.0 1414 5.4 128.5 8 10 77 26 209 97.0
    Montell Cozart 7 23 63 36.5 227 3.6 32.4 0 2 45 2 11 60.4
    Michael Cummings 3 3 4 75.0 44 11.0 14.7 1 0 28 1 2 249.9
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,997
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Yeah.... fuck that guy.
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    biak1 said:

Yeah.... fuck

Heaps is a good kid from a good family. What an insightful post you ignant bitch biatch1. What a turd.

• Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,152
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    we made a much better decision with Nick Montana
  • Options

biak1 said:

Yeah.... fuck

Heaps is a good kid from a good family. What an insightful post you ignant bitch biatch1. What a turd.

NYBE.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,817
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I'm a firm believer that one of the hardest things to recruit is the player that doesn't have a ton of competition. When you recruit in states like California, Texas, Florida, etc., even the shit teams in the best leagues will have 2-3 D1 players on them. You can get a good idea of whether a player has it or not. The toughest guys to recruit are kids like Heaps and a lot of Bellevue kids because they are so much better than the competition that it's hard to tell what happens to them when they have to step up.

The guys in that situation you are looking for are those that go to national situations and make a leap up tied to their competition and continue to show up and be the alpha males. But if I remember about Heaps, while everybody was still drooling over him because of his stats, etc., he wasn't outperforming a lot of the QBs in the class when they were all there.

And when you look back at the top QBs in the 2009 class - fucking dreckfest: http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/where-are-they-now-2009-elite-11-qbs-including-gardner-bolden-boisture
  • Options
    You make a good point Tequilla -- Walker Williams is a recent local example that comes to mind where how good a player is/isn't wasn't easy to see because of the league he was in. Allegedly UW passed on him, and granted he would've sucked because of Cozzetto anyway, but it's a coaching skillset that is always a good thing to have and something that I think the current staff is halfways decent at.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,976
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Since he and his family believe in magical underwear and that a professional scam artist was told by god to start the religion they follow I'd say he has bigger issues.

Parents of LDS recruits read this board. Let's clean it up.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,482
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Since he and his family believe in magical underwear and that a professional scam artist was told by god to start the religion they follow I'd say he has bigger issues.

Parents of LDS recruits read this board. Let's clean it up.
    I thought he was talking about Taylor Barton.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    brchco12 said:

Gotta disagree with that one. They're both horrid busts, but I'd rather build inroads at Skyline than Oaks Christian.

FWIW, Heaps outplayed Saint Jake in 2010.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

I'm a firm believer that one of the hardest things to recruit is the player that doesn't have a ton of competition. When you recruit in states like California, Texas, Florida, etc., even the shit teams in the best leagues will have 2-3 D1 players on them. You can get a good idea of whether a player has it or not. The toughest guys to recruit are kids like Heaps and a lot of Bellevue kids because they are so much better than the competition that it's hard to tell what happens to them when they have to step up.

The guys in that situation you are looking for are those that go to national situations and make a leap up tied to their competition and continue to show up and be the alpha males. But if I remember about Heaps, while everybody was still drooling over him because of his stats, etc., he wasn't outperforming a lot of the QBs in the class when they were all there.

And when you look back at the top QBs in the 2009 class - fucking dreckfest: http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/where-are-they-now-2009-elite-11-qbs-including-gardner-bolden-boisture

Wa state aint texas, but it has to be in the top 12 most competitive states for high school football.

Qb's from this state do well, historically
  • Options
    Which state of these 12 is Washington a better producer than from a talent standpoint?

Texas
    California
    Florida
    Ohio
    Michigan
    Louisiana
    Alabama
    Georgia
    Virginia
    North Carolina
    Pennsylvania
    Maryland

Or if you want to go further how about comparing to states like Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee, Illinois, Oklahoma, and New Jersey.

Washington ranks somewhere around 15-25 for top talent producing states.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    TTJ said:

brchco12 said:

FWIW, Heaps outplayed the best play caller in America who happened to have Saint Jake in 2010.
    crisped to keep with the Sark tributes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Tequilla said:

This is complete nonsense. I mean Nick Montana played against good competition and he was a total fucking bust. You can find studs and duds in any state.

The key is being able to evaluate talent to tell the difference and then coach up the talent. You telling me Jonathan Stewert was facing great competition in the Pac-9? Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense.
  • Options
    Clearly there's going to be busts from good states and guys that are going to rise up from the middle of nowhere. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I said as much.

My point being that you have more evidence with good players from good states as to knowing whether they have the ability to rise up at competition levels or not.

And yes, you are absolutely right, part of good recruiting is being able to understand how much more you can get out of a player and then having the ability to get that talent out of them.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,000
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2014
    Heaps sucked all along but I am not sure it was that easy to evaluate coming out of high school. It was a horrible year for QB's. I was at the BYU game when he first played and his first pass was almost a pick 6 where we blitzed from the strong side to force the ball to the weak side wide out. He made the same mistake only about 5 other times that year. He is the least athletic QB I think I have seen in years at a major school. If you look at his freshman season all his numbers were against shit teams. Had zero ability to improvise or buy time in the pocket. He also had zero concept of touch as everything was thrown hard regardless if that is what the best choice was. He had pretty good arm strength but not much else going for him.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Clearly there's going to be busts from good states and guys that are going to rise up from the middle of nowhere. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I said as much.

My point being that you have more evidence with good players from good states as to knowing whether they have the ability to rise up at competition levels or not.

And yes, you are absolutely right, part of good recruiting is being able to understand how much more you can get out of a player and then having the ability to get that talent out of them.

Water is wet. Your posts are basically saying there is better talent in CA and Texas than Washington. I'm not sure what your point is.