Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Decline of Chuck E. Cheese's...What Happened?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,266
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I grew up during it’s prime, back in the 80’s. When I was young / small enough to play in the whatever you call it with the tower, tubes, nets, etc. (giant indoor big toy), it was pretty sweet. Once I was too big, then it was video games, which was a slight plus from the local mall arcade as you got 5 tokens per dollar, thus one more game play on single token/quarter games.

By the time I was in 5th grade, I had an NES, so even the video games were getting tiresome. While there at a birthday party, one of the amusement rides for toddlers/ youngsters (a space ship that basically went up and down) was closed for repairs, and the coin slot panel was loose. A friend and I looted every token out of the sucker. We then posted up by the token vending machines offering folks 6 tokens for a dollar, as opposed to the usual 5. Half the people ignored our sweet offer, which was an interesting lesson to me. I ended up walking away that night with enough cash to buy the sweet Contra sequel.

Oh my God, I used to play Contra for endless hours. God I loved that game. Forgot all about it.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,055
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Never been. Proudly.

OK Boomer or old fuck Gen Xer.
    Except Gen X took their kids there. Not me. I’m above that pedestrian shit. My kids were at Izzys.
    I’ve never rented a party space for my kids parties. Fuck that.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,645
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Never been. Proudly.

I think I'm an old fuck Gen Xer. I took my son there for his birthday. I'm neither proud nor ashamed, but I do still kick myself for stuff like that. I pissed away more money on shitty birthdays than just about any other wasteful thing I can think of from raising a kid. We tried some surprisingly expensive things that just weren't a lot of fun for the kids or adults. Should've saved all of that and put it toward his first car and everyone would've benefitted. Fucking birthdays.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Never been. Proudly.

I think I'm an old fuck Gen Xer. I took my son there for his birthday. I'm neither proud nor ashamed, but I do still kick myself for stuff like that. I pissed away more money on shitty birthdays than just about any other wasteful thing I can think of from raising a kid. We tried some surprisingly expensive things that just weren't a lot of fun for the kids or adults. Should've saved all of that and put it toward his first car and everyone would've benefitted. Fucking birthdays.
    My wife is very artsy so our girls had at home themed parties. Did a Hunger Games with water balloons and squirt guns and a Walking Dead one that had a scavenger hunt with zombies. Don’t think I’ve ever been in a Chuck E Cheese.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,605
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I grew up during it’s prime, back in the 80’s. When I was young / small enough to play in the whatever you call it with the tower, tubes, nets, etc. (giant indoor big toy), it was pretty sweet. Once I was too big, then it was video games, which was a slight plus from the local mall arcade as you got 5 tokens per dollar, thus one more game play on single token/quarter games.

By the time I was in 5th grade, I had an NES, so even the video games were getting tiresome. While there at a birthday party, one of the amusement rides for toddlers/ youngsters (a space ship that basically went up and down) was closed for repairs, and the coin slot panel was loose. A friend and I looted every token out of the sucker. We then posted up by the token vending machines offering folks 6 tokens for a dollar, as opposed to the usual 5. Half the people ignored our sweet offer, which was an interesting lesson to me. I ended up walking away that night with enough cash to buy the sweet Contra sequel.

Oh my God, I used to play Contra for endless hours. God I loved that game. Forgot all about it.
    Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, select, start.
  • Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,111
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    In high school in the 80s we would skip school and jam up to the Chuck E Cheese in Lynnwood to ply that hockey game under a bubble with rods. Never ate the pizza ever.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Never went. My wife took the kids there a time or two for birthday parties and whatnot - but she knew that wasn't a place to take me. We have an understanding.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,034
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

does this bored not have a video game thread?
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,325
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2022

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, select, start.
    I can’t remember my passwords for shit but I still remember that cheat code. I think it gave you 30 lives instead of 4.

Will never forget that one either.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,859
    Founders Club

Never been. Proudly.

Except Gen X took their kids there. Not me. I’m above that pedestrian shit. My kids were at Izzys.
    I loved Izzy's. Good shit.

• Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,859
    Founders Club
    dflea said:

Never went. My wife took the kids there a time or two for birthday parties and whatnot - but she knew that wasn't a place to take me. We have an understanding.

So you had to tell her about the restraining order, huh?

• Options
    Founders Club
    dflea said:

Tourette Syndrome is no joking matter
  • Options
    Founders Club

does this bored not have a video game thread?

• Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dflea said:

Tourette Syndrome is no joking matter
    You're not wrong - me surrounded by a bunch of screaming kids is a powder keg just waiting to go off.