Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

STUDENT Athletes

LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,801
At this point, it seems way too forced by the UW AD. They are touting the Tennessee game as a great experience for our STUDENT athletes. Why not just call them players or our team? Why even pander to the charade? Typical wokeness. When talking about the homeless or bums, why is it now “those experiencing homelessness?” Quit adding unnecessary words.

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    edited January 2022
    I’ll be dead by then. Race will go.

They players who will be in that game are currently 10 years old.
    LawDawg1 said:

At this point, it seems way too forced by the UW AD. They are touting the Tennessee game as a great experience for our STUDENT athletes. Why not just call them players or our team? Why even pander to the charade? Typical wokeness. When talking about the homeless or bums, why is it now “those Our neighbors experiencing homelessness Houselessness?” Quit adding unnecessary words.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

You lying fuck Damone! You won’t be dead.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,658 Founders Club

Unless they're currently on a Mormon mission
  • TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 829 Founders Club
    edited January 2022
    The reason UW is keeps emphasizing the "student" in student-athlete is to lay the foundation for future excuses when things get even worse. I think it's too optimistic to say Cohen is still living a naive existence where these kids are playing on Denny Field and primarily worried about their chemistry final. Listening to this new Pac-12 commish, I'm sure that guy has made the reality crystal clear. Our leadership sees themselves a boldly defying the world to make some moronic stand – and to hell with what the kids want.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,022
    edited January 2022
    Washington has been playing this game for some time, and they've convinced the coaches too, who themselves are mostly undereducated and miss the irony. How else does a sub-literate moron with a degree from Eastern Washington University get on mike and give us? the academis prowess bit? Lots of other coaches, players and fans bring it up ad nauseum. Other than the weird JC x-fer PE thing, which as far I can tell is a relatively unique situation for UW, it's nonsense.

I've been saying this for years. It's made up. My sample size of 1 anecdote proves the claim. My kid was a volunteer tutor at a Seattle-area HS, and one of her charges was a blue-chip recruit for one of UW's women's teams (you know, the ones that make no money and about which nobody really cares), and that kid was literally semi-literate and she sailed into UW. At the time, my kid became curiously familiar with NCAA minimums on GPA, test score, the loopholes etc. UW and the school were on a joint mission to get this dumb fuck qualified.

My kid, who is a much nicer person than I, reluctantly admitted to me at the time that this kid's 2.3 (or whatever it had to be) was pretty cooked. Most of the teachers were on board and her schedule was as watered down as you can get it; but one or two teachers adhered to the crazy idea that grades should be earned, and my kid was assigned the task of 'making it happen'.

But whenever my? fellow? Dwags bring this up, and IRL they actually do (particularly on the Monday following a loss to Oregon), I shake my head and recall the blue chip up the road.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557

Washington has been playing this game for some time, and they've convinced the coaches too, who themselves are mostly undereducated and miss the irony. How else does a sub-literate moron with a degree from Eastern Washington University get on mike and give us? the academis prowess bit? Lots of other coaches, players and fans bring it up ad nauseum. Other than the weird JC x-fer PE thing, which as far I can tell is a relatively unique situation for UW, it's nonsense.

I've been saying this for years. It's made up. My sample size of 1 anecdote proves the claim. My kid was a volunteer tutor at a Seattle-area HS, and one of her charges was a blue-chip recruit for one of UW's women's teams (you know, the ones that make no money and about which nobody really cares), and that kid was literally semi-literate and she sailed into UW. At the time, my kid became curiously familiar with NCAA minimums on GPA, test score, the loopholes etc. UW and the school were on a joint mission to get this dumb fuck qualified.

My kid, who is a much nicer person than I, reluctantly admitted to me at the time that this kid's 2.3 (or whatever it had to be) was pretty cooked. Most of the teachers were on board and her schedule was as watered down as you can get it; but one or two teachers adhered to the crazy idea that grades should be earned, and my kid was assigned the task of 'making it happen'.

But whenever my? fellow? Dwags bring this up, and IRL they actually do (particularly on the Monday following a loss to Oregon), I shake my head and recall the blue chip up the road.

The academically prowess thing or some school using the “Recruit X couldn’t get in to my school so he had to go to rival” is such ignorant bullshit.
    Because there is available data to show that it’s bullshit.

Everyone in the Pac-12 (except for Stanford) fudges it to get the athletes in. Even in sports that don’t matter. The two UCs are the biggest user of the special exemption admit, because ~half don’t stand a chance of getting in even at the bottom quartile or admits. Washington is at a quarter, and the lowest rate in the conference is something like 14-15%. The percentage of non-athletes who get special exemptions is something like 3%.

The mean SAT for athletes at all the schools is so close - it’s less than a 35 point difference from the top of the second to the bottom of the third quartile schools. A difference of 35/1600 separating the upper quarter from the lower quarter is beyond statistically insignificant.
    If you’re good enough and meet the NCAA clearinghouse minimum you’re getting into any non-Stanford Pac-12 school. This is why celebrities were willing to spend to pretend their kid is a soccer player or rows or some shit, because at USC just like Oregon and just like Wazzu or UW, once they see it flagged special admit from the AD it’s a rubber stamp. I know at UO it even goes to different admissions people, wouldn’t shock me if that’s standard practice.

Stoooiident athoooelites sounds classier than indentured servants, so the charade continues.

Pics?
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557

The academically prowess thing or some school using the “Recruit X couldn’t get in to my school so he had to go to rival” is such ignorant bullshit.

Everyone in the Pac-12 (except for Stanford) fudges it to get the athletes in. Even in sports that don’t matter. The two UCs are the biggest user of the special exemption admit, because ~half don’t stand a chance of getting in even at the bottom quartile or admits. Washington is at a quarter, and the lowest rate in the conference is something like 14-15%. The percentage of non-athletes who get special exemptions is something like 3%.

The mean SAT for athletes at all the schools is so close - it’s less than a 35 point difference from the top of the second to the bottom of the third quartile schools. A difference of 35/1600 separating the upper quarter from the lower quarter is beyond statistically insignificant.
    If you’re good enough and meet the NCAA clearinghouse minimum you’re getting into any non-Stanford Pac-12 school. This is why celebrities were willing to spend to pretend their kid is a soccer player or rows or some shit, because at USC just like Oregon and just like Wazzu or UW, once they see it flagged special admit from the AD it’s a rubber stamp. I know at UO it even goes to different admissions people, wouldn’t shock me if that’s standard practice.

Stoooiident athoooelites sounds classier than indentured servants, so the charade continues.
    So the dumb jock stigmatism is true?

I hate to add to the stigmatism. I don’t want blood on my hands.

This numbers say this statement is true: male scholarship athletes at Pac-12 schools have, on average, lower SAT scores and high school GPAs than regular students.

But I wouldn’t say they’re dumb: the average SAT scores for athletes are around ~1000 and that’s right about the average score of all SAT test takers, 48th percentile in 2021. Not great for academically prowess, but if you have other skills (that may bring prestige or revenue to the university) those should definitely be considered.

Pics?
    This girl was 6'4"+ and quite large. We? would not want to see those pics.

So the dumb jock stigmatism is true?

I hate to add to the stigmatism. I don’t want blood on my hands.

This numbers say this statement is true: male scholarship athletes at Pac-12 schools have, on average, lower SAT scores and high school GPAs than regular students.

But I wouldn’t say they’re dumb: the average SAT scores for athletes are around ~1000 and that’s right about the average score of all SAT test takers, 48th percentile in 2021. Not great for academically prowess, but if you have other skills (that may bring prestige or revenue to the university) those should definitely be considered.
    There are some kids whose brains work on every team. I wonder what the weighted average and standard deviation is on a given team. Overall my anecdotal experience with D1 players is not favorable in the area of smarts.

I also went to LS with a handful of them (and some elite P12 track athletes). Assuming those people represented the smarter side of the team bell curve, which is likely a safe assumption, then it's even more impressive because every P12 (or other P5) athlete I knew or knew of in LS to varying degrees struggled. I think there was one guy a few years behind me in LS who played for UW who had a solid run, and he wasn't anywhere near the top 10% of his class or anything like it.
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,801
    I’ve never seen anyone say LS. This is bizarre.
    LawDawg1 said:

I’ve never seen anyone say LS. This is bizarre.

You’re easily entertained.