Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Clippers

Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,860
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
Are they an actual threat or will they go out in the second round again?

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    7 of the 8 teams in the West are going to win 50 games ... the 8th will win 49 games.

The Clippers are a threat ... but going out in the 2nd round doesn't necessarily mean that they've had a bad year. I would think that they're a favorite against both Golden State and the Bastard Sonics.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Great player in Chris Paul they have a great second player in Blake Griffin. Good front court in Griffin/Jordan which means Brooks will be dumb and play Perkins 30+ minutes.

Doc Rivers is a top 3 coach in the NBA so that will help against an OKC. I think the Clippers are a real threat.

The entire Western Conference Playoffs is going to be amazing.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't think the Clippers are doing shit. I won't be surprised if Golden State beats them in the first round.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The clippers and the Thunder need to trade Chris Paul and Westbrook. Paul would create all the opportunities for Durant and allow him to be the number 1 option he is, while Westbrook would be the alpha in control to drive the blake griffin to the heights he is capable of. Case closed.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Maybe it's the PL_SS cocktail i'm on, but why does Chris Paul get such a pass? He's universally lauded as the best PG in the game, yet he hasn't won shit. Why the kid gloves?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He has arguably the freakish athletes in the league surrounding him, a scoring mercenary in Jamal Crawford, and Doc Rivers pulling the strings... WIN OR GTFO.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

Maybe it's the PL_SS cocktail i'm on, but why does Chris Paul get such a pass? He's universally lauded as the best PG in the game, yet he hasn't won shit. Why the kid gloves?

I've always wondered that myself. I think it's because he's never had a supporting cast or a good head coach.

Now if they flame out this year I think the pressure will be on Paul. I think you are correct on the best PG why it's always automatically him yet every time he goes up against Tony Parker he loses the game and the match up.

I don't think the Clippers will do much in the playoffs but the West is so tough. I mean so many teams like Houston, Golden State and the Clippers I can see winning the west or losing round one. Pretty crazy how much of a swing that conference has.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Doogles said:

Mostly because He hasn't ever had enough around Him to get to the Finals. Even this year that is the case. Griffin has improved quite a bit and there are some nice other pieces but not enough to carry them to the finals without a break out performance from someone unexpected. Unless you believe the black hole aka Jamaal Crawford will change his ways. Paul can score 35 pts if He has to. But chances are they won't win if He does. I'd argue that GS has more pieces to get further with the splash bros, Lee, Iggy, Barnes and Green. When they are rolling, they can put 40 pt quarters on ya easy.

The year Paul had the most around him was with the NO Hornets when they made the Conf finals. Given how loaded from top to bottom the West is this year, losing in the 2nd rd isn't exactly shameful.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    salemcoog said:

Doogles said:

Mostly because He hasn't ever had enough around Him to get to the Finals. Even this year that is the case. Griffin has improved quite a bit and there are some nice other pieces but not enough to carry them to the finals without a break out performance from someone unexpected. Unless you believe the black hole aka Jamaal Crawford will change his ways. Paul can score 35 pts if He has to. But chances are they won't win if He does. I'd argue that GS has more pieces to get further with the splash bros, Lee, Iggy, Barnes and Green. When they are rolling, they can put 40 pt quarters on ya easy.

The year Paul had the most around him was with the NO Hornets when they made the Conf finals. Given how loaded from top to bottom the West is this year, losing in the 2nd rd isn't exactly shameful.
    He has plenty to get in the finals. I don't know what more he could really have. He's a very good player, but also overrated. Tony Parker and Steph Curry are better.

I've seen rankings with Paul as the third best player in the NBA. He's maybe borderline top 10. If Durant was on the Clippers instead of Paul, they would win 65 games and easily win the title, even with Darren Collison at PG.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

salemcoog said:

Doogles said:

He has plenty to get in the finals. I don't know what more he could really have. He's a very good player, but also overrated. Tony Parker and Steph Curry are better.

I've seen rankings with Paul as the third best player in the NBA. He's maybe borderline top 10. If Durant was on the Clippers instead of Paul, they would win 65 games and easily win the title, even with Darren Collison at PG.
    If the Blazers had Kevin Durant they would prolly win 60-65 games too.

What's your poont?
  • Options
    salemcoog said:

Doogles said:

In the past he deserves a pass but he doesn't this year. This is a good supporting cast and has a good coach. If they fall short he should have to wear it just like Lebron would have to if he were in the same exact spot.

I don't think GS is that good to be honest. Jackson is a moron who refuses to embrace what they are and instead tries to play Bogot and Lee at the same time which is dumb.

I like the Clippers in that series but playing GS in a series is always scary. Playing streak shooting teams like them can be a nightmare at times.
  • Options

salemcoog said:

Doogles said:

Can Kevin Durant prove he can win a title with a supporting cast of Westbrook and Ibaka(not to mention had Harden for a while) before we give him hypothetical titles on another team?
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I think there are a coupl things going on with Paul.

Number 1 people overrate the point guard position. It's pretty much the least important position in the NBA but people always say shit like 'it's a point guard league'. The best point guards to win a championship in the last 20 years are Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups and uh Rio Chalmers.

Number 2 people confuse who Chris Paul was with who he is. He had a knee injury that took a step from him. People see the guy he is now, a more cerebral player that controls the game, and cross it with the ridiculously fast guy he was before the injury and think yeah that guys a top 3 player.

He's a top 15 player for me. Hurt a little by his position. Hurt a little by the fact that he can't just blow by anyone anymore. He still gets to his spots but it's not the same.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2014

Number 1 people overrate the point guard position. It's pretty much the least important position in the NBA but people always say shit like 'it's a point guard league'. The best point guards to win a championship in the last 20 years are Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups and uh Rio Chalmers.

Number 2 people confuse who Chris Paul was with who he is. He had a knee injury that took a step from him. People see the guy he is now, a more cerebral player that controls the game, and cross it with the ridiculously fast guy he was before the injury and think yeah that guys a top 3 player.

He's a top 15 player for me. Hurt a little by his position. Hurt a little by the fact that he can't just blow by anyone anymore. He still gets to his spots but it's not the same.

Good post. Agree on the knee injury. I think Doogles is correct though. It's time to win or GTFO. I can't wait for their series against Golden State.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Good post. Agree on the knee injury. I think Doogles is correct though. It's time to win or GTFO. I can't wait for their series against Golden State.

I know you're being sarkastic but OKC could play Golden State.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Chris Paul has been one of the best PGs for years, possibly the best. He may finish in 2nd or 3rd in stats but at least he is there every year. I think it is hard to qualify a point guard as the best because of how different that position can be played.

Can we stop doing the whole if someone doesn't have a ring they are overrated thing? Christ it gets annoying sometimes. In 2008 he pretty much put the team on its back and almost led them to the conference finals.

If we go strictly by NBA titles recently then Mario Chalmers, Jason Kidd, and Derek Fischer would be the fucking best, and I know you guys don't agree with that bullshit.

Chris Paul is one of the best if not the best currently. Stop pressing.
  • Options

Chris Paul has been one of the best PGs for years, possibly the best. He may finish in 2nd or 3rd in stats but at least he is there every year. I think it is hard to qualify a point guard as the best because of how different that position can be played.

Can we stop doing the whole if someone doesn't have a ring they are overrated thing? Christ it gets annoying sometimes. In 2008 he pretty much put the team on its back and almost led them to the conference finals.

If we go strictly by NBA titles recently then Mario Chalmers, Jason Kidd, and Derek Fischer would be the fucking best, and I know you guys don't agree with that bullshit.

Is it too much to ask that he at least play in ONE conference finals before proclaiming him as the best? I mean Melo gets killed constantly but even he has led his team to a conference finals appearance.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Is it too much to ask that he at least play in ONE conference finals before proclaiming him as the best? I mean Melo gets killed constantly but even he has led his team to a conference finals appearance.
    Overrate the importance of the PG position in general but not Chris Paul. He may not be the best but he certainly is top 3 at the very worst. I am sure if CP3 (ILTCHT) was playing with Kevin Durant he would have easily reached a conference finals, probably a NBA finals, and would have had a decent shot at winning it.

I mean if he isn't the best or one of then who is? Westbrook is the obvious answer for a good reason. Curry? He hasn't done shit yet. Wall? Lillard? Kyrie? Conley? Bledsoe? Lawson?

You can argue Parker because of how many titles he has won over the years but besides him and Westbrook the accolades of the other PGs in the league who are considered upper tier have done jack shit.

I still think Chris Paul is the best but I do see arguments for Parker or Westbrook. To call him overrated though is pushing it.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,860
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

salemcoog said:

Doogles said:

Agree

He's a "combo" gd, which is just a euphemism for ball hog. I don't think I'd put them in my top 15 ( not that I've watched a complete game lately, I do watch a medium amount of playoff games).

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Chris Paul is a great player ... I don't get the hate for him at this point. His career has been mostly been filled with playing on shit teams. The last two years you could argue that the Clippers have flamed out of the playoffs due to questionable depth and poor coaching. This is by far the deepest team that they've had and the best coach by far.

I'd be surprised if they weren't playing the Spurs in the West Finals.