Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Analysis: DeBoer's staff vs Jimmy's staff

insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
edited January 2022 in Hardcore Husky Board
DeBoer's staff is finally set. My thoughts on the makeup of the staff and how it compares to last year's.

Head Coach:
2021: Lake
2022: DeBoer
Advantage: DeBoer

The jury is still out on how he'll fare at the P5 level but it's hard to be any worse than Jimmy who I'd argue was worse than both Gilby and Ty as a head coach.

Offensive Staff
Grade: A-

I like this staff a lot especially after the Shephard hire. I would've given them a solid A or even A+ if they were able to bring in Kirby and replace Huff with an upgrade. Overall I think they improved at every position and even Huff will look better in KDB's scheme and with help from Grubb who was a former OL coach himself.

OC
2021: JonDon
2022: Grubb
Advantage: Grubb

No comments needed

WR
2021: Adams
2022: Shephard
Advantage: Shephard

Adams' whole career is based on coaching Cooper Kupp for ONE season. Shephard seems to come highly regarded as both a coach and recruiter. This is the most excited I've been about a position coach hire since Tosh.

RB
2021: Bonapha
2022: Marks
Advantage: Marks

I actually don't think KB was bad but supposedly Marks was one of the top assistants on the Fresno staff and is a good recruiter

OL
No change

TE
2021: Cato
2022: Sheridan
Advantage: Sheridan

Cato actually showed some potential as a recruiter (runner up for Brock Bowers) but Sheridan should be an upgrade overall due to his experience and it also doesn't hurt to have another former QB on the staff

Defensive Staff
Grade: C+

I'm completely underwhelmed with the coaches on this side of the ball. Replace Morrell with Orlondo or Donte and Schmidt with Malloe and it could've been a B/B+ staff but as it stands, I'm nervous about this defense both from a coaching perspective and especially in recruiting. The silver lining is their salaries are all on the lower end so hopefully DeBoer won't hesitate to replace any underperforming coaches.

DC/ILB
2021: Gregory
2022: Inge
Advantage: Inge

ILBs is probably the biggest upgrade from a position standpoint but I'm skeptical on Inge as DC. Prior to FSU, he was at IU and was demoted from DC to ST coach there.

DL
2021: Rowan
2022: Breckterfield
Advantage: Breckterfield

Another big upgrade. Inoke was the biggest outside hire DeBoer made until Shephard. Hopefully he can continue our Poly pipeline but early returns aren't encouraging (lost Taimani to portal and UH DL transfer)

OLB
2021: Malloe
2022: Schmidt
Advantage: Malloe

If rumors that Malloe wanted to stay but we chose Schmidt over him then that is the most puzzling personnel move thus far. Malloe is already proving his worth down there by bringing Latu and the LB transfer from UH in. Schmidt might be slightly better with Xs and Os but I have a hard time seeing him out recruit Malloe.

DBs
2021: Harris
2022: Morrell
Advantage: Push

Will Harris was worthless as a recruiter but it's hard to imagine Morrell doing much better. No idea on either as a coach.

DBs
2021: Brown (Terrence)
2022: Brown (Juice)
Advantage: Juice

Juice was supposedly the best recruiter on FSU's staff last year and Brown was even more worthless than Harris. Hopefully between Morrell and Juice one of them can coach up the DBs. Colin Lockett the DBs GA will remain so he should be able to continue some of the Jimmy NFL techniques

Off Field
Director of Recruiting
2021: Glenn
2022: Morgan
Advantage: Morgan

HUGE upgrade here. Rumors were Glenn could barely figure out how to coordinate OVs let alone scour the country for talent. The promotion of Glenn might be the 2nd dumbest move by Jimmy after hiring JonDon.

Strength and Conditioning
2021: Socha
2022: McKeeferey
Advantage: Mckeeferey

Socha was highly regarded for a while but seems to have mailed it in under Lake. The players are probably ready for a different voice in that room.

Comments

• whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,719 Swaye's Wigwam
    Can't wait to see how this new staff will eventually disappoint us!
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,951 Swaye's Wigwam
    Thanks for taking the time. I agree with most of your assessments except that I don't think you support your summary comments about the defensive staff as well. I don't want to just echo everything Gladstone said, but I agree with all of it. Inge, Brecterfield and Brown are huge upgrades.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,868 Founders Club
  • insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    edited January 2022
    Gladstone said:

Very good post. My only disagreements -- and they are minor -- are that IMO Malloe was incredibly overrated as a recruiter, and I think you undersell how good Inge is. Most metrics had Fresno's D this year in the top 30.

I don't know the backstory of why Inge got demoted at Indiana to Special Teams coach but that's a red flag imo. I would feel much better about the defense if Orlondo was the DC and Inge was solely the LBs coach.

Juuice Brown was fired from TT after one year, his only time spent at a P5 school prior to UW. Another red flag.

On Malloe, he wasn't an elite recruiter but he's probably a 7/10. I just don't see Schmidt winning too many heavyweight battles. Hopefully he's a PK level OLBs coach at least.
  • OreDawgOreDawg Member Posts: 650
    edited January 2022

Gladstone said:

Very good post. My only disagreements -- and they are minor -- are that IMO Malloe was incredibly overrated as a recruiter, and I think you undersell how good Inge is. Most metrics had Fresno's D this year in the top 30.

I don't know the backstory of why Inge got demoted at Indiana to Special Teams coach but that's a red flag imo. I would feel much better about the defense if Orlondo was the DC and Inge was solely the LBs coach.

Juuice Brown was fired from TT after one year, his only time spent at a P5 school prior to UW. Another red flag.

On Malloe, he wasn't an elite recruiter but he's probably a 7/10. I just don't see Schmidt winning too many heavyweight battles. Hopefully he's a PK level OLBs coach at least.
    Texas Tech also does some pretty dumb shit in regards to hiring and firing coaches. They can't help themselves when it comes to firing good coaches and replacing them with someone worse. I'll LIPO on Juice.
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,370
    2021 4-8
    2022 7-6

Offense B+
    Defense C
    Special Teams B

As always 2024 will be special
  • insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    OreDawg said:

Gladstone said:

Texas Tech also does some pretty dumb shit in regards to hiring and firing coaches. They can't help themselves when it comes to firing good coaches and replacing them with someone worse. I'll LIPO on Juice.
    I'm getting worried about Juice the more I read about him. He's been coaching for over a decade so it's not like he's a young up and comer. He was let go by Harsin at Boise and then again by Wells at TTech. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. He's supposed to be a good recruiter but he's primarily only done it at the G5 level. I'll LIPO but my expectations are low. He's also the lowest paid coach on the staff so should be easy to let go if the secondary sucks and he's not bringing in any 4* DBs.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,658 Founders Club

DeBoer's staff is finally set. My thoughts on the makeup of the staff and how it compares to last year's.

Head Coach:

The jury is still out on how he'll fare at the P5 level but it's hard to be any worse than Jimmy who I'd argue was worse than both Gilby and Ty as a head coach.

Offensive Staff

I like this staff a lot especially after the Shephard hire. I would've given them a solid A or even A+ if they were able to bring in Kirby and replace Huff with an upgrade. Overall I think they improved at every position and even Huff will look better in KDB's scheme and with help from Grubb who was a former OL coach himself.

OC

No comments needed

WR

Adams' whole career is based on coaching Cooper Kupp for ONE season. Shephard seems to come highly regarded as both a coach and recruiter. This is the most excited I've been about a position coach hire since Tosh.

RB

I actually don't think KB was bad but supposedly Marks was one of the top assistants on the Fresno staff and is a good recruiter

OL
    No change

TE

Cato actually showed some potential as a recruiter (runner up for Brock Bowers) but Sheridan should be an upgrade overall due to his experience and it also doesn't hurt to have another former QB on the staff

Defensive Staff

I'm completely underwhelmed with the coaches on this side of the ball. Replace Morrell with Orlondo or Donte and Schmidt with Malloe and it could've been a B/B+ staff but as it stands, I'm nervous about this defense both from a coaching perspective and especially in recruiting. The silver lining is their salaries are all on the lower end so hopefully DeBoer won't hesitate to replace any underperforming coaches.

DC/ILB

ILBs is probably the biggest upgrade from a position standpoint but I'm skeptical on Inge as DC. Prior to FSU, he was at IU and was demoted from DC to ST coach there.

DL

Another big upgrade. Inoke was the biggest outside hire DeBoer made until Shephard. Hopefully he can continue our Poly pipeline but early returns aren't encouraging (lost Taimani to portal and UH DL transfer)

OLB

If rumors that Malloe wanted to stay but we chose Schmidt over him then that is the most puzzling personnel move thus far. Malloe is already proving his worth down there by bringing Latu and the LB transfer from UH in. Schmidt might be slightly better with Xs and Os but I have a hard time seeing him out recruit Malloe.

DBs

Will Harris was worthless as a recruiter but it's hard to imagine Morrell doing much better. No idea on either as a coach.

DBs

Juice was supposedly the best recruiter on FSU's staff last year and Brown was even more worthless than Harris. Hopefully between Morrell and Juice one of them can coach up the DBs. Colin Lockett the DBs GA will remain so he should be able to continue some of the Jimmy NFL techniques

Off Field
    Director of Recruiting

HUGE upgrade here. Rumors were Glenn could barely figure out how to coordinate OVs let alone scour the country for talent. The promotion of Glenn might be the 2nd dumbest move by Jimmy after hiring JonDon.

Socha was highly regarded for a while but seems to have mailed it in under Lake. The players are probably ready for a different voice in that room.

Sark > Ty Post of the Day
    Beno4Life said:
    Getting rid of Holt with our offense will really take Sark over the top

A podcast on how losing teams always think if they fix one thing something else won't go to shit

There is a reason losing teams lose
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,246
    Lots of dooging in this thread. Count me in, for now.
  • BreadBread Member Posts: 4,017
    You all are Dooging over Grubb. If you talk with NFL coaches his name will not come up once.

Beno4Life said:

A podcast on how losing teams always think if they fix one thing something else won't go to shit

I think that's a solid example of a false equivalency for more reasons than I care to try typing on my phone.
  • MelloDawgMelloDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,567 Swaye's Wigwam

Head Coach:

Offensive Staff

OC

No comments needed

WR

RB

OL
    No change

TE

Defensive Staff

DC/ILB

DL

OLB

DBs

DBs

Off Field
    Director of Recruiting

Sark > Ty Post of the Day
    *Poast
    chuck said:

Beno4Life said:

I think that's a solid example of a false equivalency for more reasons than I care to try typing on my phone.
    Because I'm right

As always

chuck said:

Beno4Life said:

Because I'm right

As always
    You're right that Deboer has some equivalency to Sark? How so? Did he go 7-6 and give up 70 points to Baylor?