Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mariners Pole

Comments

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Go M's!
    dnc said:

HFNY said:

Tough to make any definitive conclusions now but I am worried about Smoak, Almonte, and RF. Miller should probably end up hitting fine and Seager too but 1B can't be a relative offensive black-hole and neither can RF (another position that should be a big OPS spot).

Almonte is not likely to be very good. He just doesn't have the offensive tools to be successful outside of speed. It will be interesting to see if McLendon moves Ackley up to leadoff at some poont to get someone with some on base skills at the top of the lineup.

Almonte's defensive numbers look very good so far this year, but it's way way way too early to learn anything form those. Eyeball test he looks talented but still unpolished in center to me. But he uses his speed very well. His defense could be a real asset.

He might be a guy worth keeping around, but he's more of a #8 or 9 hitter than #1. On that note, it's probably time to move Zunino out of the 9 hole. He's still an OBP black hole but dude can mash.

Here's how I'd set the current lineup:

Versus righties:

LF Ackley
    SS Miller
    2B Cano
    1B Smoak
    DH Hart
    3B Seager
    C Zunino
    RF Saunders/Morrison
    CF Almonte

Versus lefties:

LF Ackley
    SS Miller
    2B Cano
    DH Hart
    3B Seager
    1B Smoak
    C Zunino
    RF Romero I guess (honestly I don't think he's ready - I'd send him down but given the current roster if he's here he should play)
    CF Almonte

That lineup is still very vulnerable against lefties. They really need a right handed or switch hitter who can slide into the two hole. It's too bad Nick Franklin doesn't fit the roster defensively, he'd be the perfect bat there.

agree to a point, ackley is finally having success in the 7/8 hole, why mess with it? maybe you can eventually move him up but I wouldn't do it yet. That guy is so mentally fragile
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Go M's!
    dhdawg said:

dnc said:

HFNY said:

Tough to make any definitive conclusions now but I am worried about Smoak, Almonte, and RF. Miller should probably end up hitting fine and Seager too but 1B can't be a relative offensive black-hole and neither can RF (another position that should be a big OPS spot).

Almonte is not likely to be very good. He just doesn't have the offensive tools to be successful outside of speed. It will be interesting to see if McLendon moves Ackley up to leadoff at some poont to get someone with some on base skills at the top of the lineup.

Almonte's defensive numbers look very good so far this year, but it's way way way too early to learn anything form those. Eyeball test he looks talented but still unpolished in center to me. But he uses his speed very well. His defense could be a real asset.

He might be a guy worth keeping around, but he's more of a #8 or 9 hitter than #1. On that note, it's probably time to move Zunino out of the 9 hole. He's still an OBP black hole but dude can mash.

Versus righties:

LF Ackley
    SS Miller
    2B Cano
    1B Smoak
    DH Hart
    3B Seager
    C Zunino
    RF Saunders/Morrison
    CF Almonte

Versus lefties:

LF Ackley
    SS Miller
    2B Cano
    DH Hart
    3B Seager
    1B Smoak
    C Zunino
    RF Romero I guess (honestly I don't think he's ready - I'd send him down but given the current roster if he's here he should play)
    CF Almonte

That lineup is still very vulnerable against lefties. They really need a right handed or switch hitter who can slide into the two hole. It's too bad Nick Franklin doesn't fit the roster defensively, he'd be the perfect bat there.

agree to a point, ackley is finally having success in the 7/8 hole, why mess with it? maybe you can eventually move him up but I wouldn't do it yet. That guy is so mentally fragile
    You might have a point. I just hate having an automatic out at the top of the lineup.

• Options
    Go M's!
    dnc said:

dhdawg said:

dnc said:

HFNY said:

Versus righties:

LF Ackley
    SS Miller
    2B Cano
    1B Smoak
    DH Hart
    3B Seager
    C Zunino
    RF Saunders/Morrison
    CF Almonte

Versus lefties:

LF Ackley
    SS Miller
    2B Cano
    DH Hart
    3B Seager
    1B Smoak
    C Zunino
    CF Almonte

You might have a point. I just hate having an automatic out at the top of the lineup.

I agree, outside of ackley I don't see a true leadoff hitter on this team. Maybe if they find a spot for franklin he could hit leadoff although he strikes out way too much
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Go M's!
    dhdawg said:

dnc said:

dhdawg said:

dnc said:

HFNY said:

Versus righties:

LF Ackley
    SS Miller
    2B Cano
    1B Smoak
    DH Hart
    3B Seager
    C Zunino
    RF Saunders/Morrison
    CF Almonte

Versus lefties:

LF Ackley
    SS Miller
    2B Cano
    DH Hart
    3B Seager
    1B Smoak
    C Zunino
    CF Almonte

I agree, outside of ackley I don't see a true leadoff hitter on this team. Maybe if they find a spot for franklin he could hit leadoff although he strikes out way too much
    I think Franklin (and Ackley, to a lesser extent) is more of a prototypical two hole hitter. His pop might be a bit wasted at the top. Of course, the same is true of Miller.

Ackley's the closest thing to a natural leadoff guy on the roster, but the mental concerns are well taken.

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    End of April
    Almonte sucks. He is a good outfielder because he is fast and he has power for a leadoff but he is going to be a career .225 hitter. Which is laughable for someone who is leading off. Sadly the Mariners don't have any better options.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    All Star Break
    Some of you guys are Mariner fan versions of doogs. I can't wait for May or June where they go 8-20 to end the season.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    End of April

Some of you guys are Mariner fan versions of doogs. I can't wait for May or June where they go 8-20 to end the season.

You are the one who picked "All Star Break".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    End of April
    All I have to say about this Mariners talk is this.

Die bitch. Did soccer just end for you? Looking for that other sport to carry you and your miserable life till soccer and softball start again? Find some other way to burn 5 hours of your life on a nightly basis. Good heavy, go to the woods, ride a bike, a horse, start woodworking, oil painting.

I hope Al Quieda blows up every park in the country (before the season starts of course), maybe then I don't have to hear about baseball and the mariners. I plug my eats and still can't stop the madness.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2014
    All Star Break

You are the one who picked "All Star Break".
    I was being kind. With the second wild card, if you are hovering around .500 you are technically still in it. Until they are 20 games out, some will still be talking about them. The question was when will it end. If it were up to me, it would have never started.

Just wait until the Japanese fuck who had a career year last year comes back! Just wait until Walker comes back, has a 5.00 ERA, and blows out his elbow. Whether they are out by the end of May, June, July, or August is irrelevant. They suck and are even more of a waste of time then UW football during the Ty years.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Labor Day
    Smoak is currently hitting .244/.320/.467 with 6 extra base hits in 12 games. I'd like to see him get his average up to .260-.270 and his on-base % up to .340-.350 or so. The power production so far isn't bad though - that would translate to 70+ for the season if he keeps that up - not a bad number at all.

One positive at having Ackley and Zunino currently towards the bottom of the order is that you aren't killing rallies like you have in the past as those guys are capable of producing. I do agree that Ackley is the closest thing to a lead-off hitter in the lineup. But you don't have to make the decision to make that move right now. If he keeps hitting in the .300 range into mid-May and Almonte continues to be a huge issue at the top of the order, then you can go ask Ackley if he's comfortable moving back into the leadoff spot. You'd hope that after a strong finish to last year and a strong start to this year he'd realize that he's a MLB hitter now and that where he is hitting in the lineup isn't a huge issue.

We don't know enough yet about Almonte as a hitter - although he doesn't look like more than a .250 or .260 hitter this year at best. He does take a walk though - so that helps him out a bit. Good defense in center given the quality of the pitching staff is important.

The team is one OF short right now. Romero isn't ready and should be getting more seasoning at Triple A. I'd really like to see the Mariners try to figure out a way to get Nick Franklin into the OF as his bat is too good to be sitting down in Triple A right now.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    All Star Break
    Looks like it already stopped.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,538
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    End of April
    The field wins again. Didn't even make the end of April.
  • Options
    End of April
    I'm glad my hopefully "Now" prediction is coming to life. I always knew the M's 2014 season would be irrelevant I just didn't know it would be this soon.........

Actually who am I kidding? I did know it would be this soon. Close the fucking gates.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    End of April
    PurpleJ said:

The field wins again. Didn't even make the end of April.

Came here to say this.

Being eliminated before Easter is always special.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Go M's!
    There's hope yet. With the death of Yamauchi it's really only a matter of time until the team is sold.
    Until then with lincoln this team is screwed. Jack Z should've been fired for the debacle last year and because of him the team accomplished absolutely nothing this offseason. Cano, a closer (you know what I think about paying closers) and a DH. Whoopifuckingdo

Reed Strong‏@reedstrong7·7 hrs
    @crimsonwazzu Learn the transfer rule then pop off. Also, what the fuck was he thinking anyway?

as for you sven no one is going to "learn the transfer rule." It's the most FS rule in all of sports and I thought the same exact way when the Mariners were benefitting from it. #JoeTorreFS

When they didn't hire La Russa I knew nothing was changing, Kevin Mather, another yes man for howard
  • Options
    Go M's!
    and McClendon is just as bad as wedge. Plate discipline nonexistent, doesn't steal bases, never bunts. Hate it
  • Options
    End of April
    dhdawg said:

and McClendon is just as bad as wedge. Plate discipline nonexistent, doesn't steal bases, never bunts. Hate it

Black coaches only get downtrodden jobs.

* in this case it actually applies.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    All Star Break
    For anyone who analyzed the Mariners team, here is some advice. Take a look at the lineup in tonight's game. Double check it to make sure you read it right. Now repeatedly bash your head into a wall until you never mention the Mariners again.