Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cfb is completely out of control right now

Comments

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,526
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    It used to be that transfers had to sit out a year and that transfers within conferences had to sit out 2 years.

Now it's a total shit show and 2 years in-conference went down to ZERO.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

People have been complaining about corruption and cheating ever since Rutgers laced it up against Princeton

Did you have good seats?
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,609
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

it’s Wild West right now but within 5 years it will be reigned in somehow

There is something to this. I think the sudden onrush of portal and NIL is to dissipate some of the built up discontent over player rights, etc.

Once it becomes an obvious shitshow (currently in progress) conference leaders and committees, etc. will get together to rein it in a bit.

For instance, if you portal, you don't get to grad transfer. Or, you get one and only one chance to portal after 2 years from signing LOI.

Giving players total freedom to immediately transfer is actually logistically unsupportable IMO and these teams are complex organizations. ADs are dumping money into recruiting and development and then players are walking away freely from the investments.

If a coaches conference comes up with a strongly worded resolution it will have impact, universtity presidents will sign on...etc.

• Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited January 2022
    NIL deals should be standardized to have language that forces players to stay 2-3 years, and players should only be allowed to portal once, second time have to sit out a year and school can veto destinations.

I don’t mind players getting paid but right now the whole thing is absurd. Want to get paid fine, need rules regarding moving teams like the pros have.

The kids right now also don’t seem to realize they need the fans just as much as the fans need them. Loyalty is a two way street.

Killing college football for the next generation, shout out to the players.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

NIL deals should be standardized to have language that forces players to stay 2-3 years, and players should only be allowed to portal once, second time have to sit out a year and school can veto destinations.

I don’t mind players getting paid but right now the whole thing is absurd. Want to get paid fine, need rules regarding moving teams like the pros have.

The kids right now also don’t seem to realize they need the fans just as much as the fans need them. Loyalty is a two way street.

I like the idea of free agency being allowed in recruiting, but once players are in a school they're locked in to 3 years before they can get out. That's the same thing as pro sports. Allowing players to jump from place to place every year is bullshit, IMO. Fuck the kids.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

When you have 500 players in the portal and 450 of them are ignored it will sort itself out

THIS
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,687
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2022
    The funny thing is even with all the adults getting rich the boosters still pay the players and there is so much money that schools can still fund 13 women's sports while building Hookers and Blow Centers for the football squad.

Leave it to all involved to kill it
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,603
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Performance based NILs as well
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,609
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Alpo said:

It's been out of control for 25 years+. Some of the money is finally reaching the players. The conferences and the NCAA are victims of their own success - they leveraged the insatiable demand from content, especially content that basically demanded you watch it live, into billions of dollars. Everyone involved paid themselves massive salaries the point that a glorified gym teacher coaching outside linebackers would get 1%'er money on a middling staff at a middling school. The head of the "amateur" NCAA pays himself $2 million dollars a year to sit around with the other hypocrites and sniff each others farts and wax poetically about "student athletes." They've built palaces for these players to work out, live, and play in and then ask us to pay $200 a ticket to watch them play some directional school so the team can pad their record with a couple guaranteed wins. The athletic directors, the conference commissioners, the bowl game presidents, the talking head announcers, all get paid 10x what most people in this country make in a year.

But sure *now* it is out of control because players don't have to sit a year when they transfer.

Strictly from an organizational perspective it is out of control because players can move so freely. Just from a basic competitive standpoint I don't think losing entire position groups, at any given moment, is healthy for the enterprise.

Every sport imposes limitations on players just so the actual sport can take place with a semblance of competitive balance.

Plus, the player schollies have never really been performance-based, so the kids have had a nice ride in these palaces you mention. The scholarship packages at even shitty schools are pretty great and definitely a product of the money-making side of CFB.

• Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Wait for the scholarship limit to be rendered irrelevant when NIL payments pay for tuition, room and board and schools can recruit in excess of the 85 limit.
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Alpo said:

It's been out of control for 25 years+. Some of the money is finally reaching the players. The conferences and the NCAA are victims of their own success - they leveraged the insatiable demand from content, especially content that basically demanded you watch it live, into billions of dollars. Everyone involved paid themselves massive salaries the point that a glorified gym teacher coaching outside linebackers would get 1%'er money on a middling staff at a middling school. The head of the "amateur" NCAA pays himself $2 million dollars a year to sit around with the other hypocrites and sniff each others farts and wax poetically about "student athletes." They've built palaces for these players to work out, live, and play in and then ask us to pay $200 a ticket to watch them play some directional school so the team can pad their record with a couple guaranteed wins. The athletic directors, the conference commissioners, the bowl game presidents, the talking head announcers, all get paid 10x what most people in this country make in a year.

But sure *now* it is out of control because players don't have to sit a year when they transfer.

I don’t disagree with any of this, lots of blame to go around.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147

I'm in the crowd that will watch it until we can't

Lot of kids screaming at clouds here

No one cares what we think

You were also LAST to jump off the Jimmy bandwagon, so this is on-brand. But I applaud your blissful optimism, don't twist.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,687
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

You were also LAST to jump off the Jimmy bandwagon, so this is on-brand. But I applaud your blissful optimism, don't twist.
    I'm not optimistic at all

I've been saying only a few more tweaks and its dead for years now.

You ain't stopping that

I'll enjoy it while I can
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

When you have 500 players in the portal and 450 of them are ignored it will sort itself out

Agree with this. We’re focusing on the portal right now because it’s fresh news but I think it’s more so possibly feeling the final blow mixed in with the destruction the playoffs have caused, players sitting out bowl games and now, as someone mentioned before, waiting for your entire roster to recommit each year with photoshops in front of volcanos, on Twitter.

I suppose all the stuff that we liked about the college game, going away.

I know you already know, but still.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,028
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

You ain't stopping that

I get the enjoying it will you can part, but the @Passion will never be there again.

The thrill is gone for good.

• Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    edited January 2022

You ain't stopping that

I get the enjoying it will you can part, but the @Passion will never be there again.

The thrill is gone for good.

@Passion died? Did the COVID win? At least his family will win next years Christmas card contest.