Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Tua throws a hospital pass to Myles Gaskin

2»

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,658 Founders Club
    chuck said:

I think it goes without saying that most NFL players are dumb. ATBS, Tua scored a 13 on the wonderlic which is really, really bad. Wilson had a 28.

I remember reading that Cody Pickett scored under 10. Vince Young too. I wonder about Eason. I'd guess him at around 10.
    Meanwhile, Haener scored a 48
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,242
    chuck said:

I think it goes without saying that most NFL players are dumb. ATBS, Tua scored a 13 on the wonderlic which is really, really bad. Wilson had a 28.

I remember reading that Cody Pickett scored under 10. Vince Young too. I wonder about Eason. I'd guess him at around 10.
    Apparently a score of less than 10 indicates illiteracy.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,242

chuck said:

Meanwhile, Haener scored a 48
    The test is not hard. I took a sample and, without acting like I'm a genius, I will just say that I think you have to be kinda dumb to get less than a 30. And even that is being generous.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,022
    edited January 2022

I think the average NFL player is close to the average American. NFL QBs, however, are smarter than the general population.

Tua is just fucking dumb. A Wonderlic of 13 correlates to an IQ of ~79-85. The NFL QB median is 27. Some nerd did the numbers a few years back that showed 31.6 was the average playoff QB over the span of a few years. Tua is in the lowest quartile of the population, and solidly in the bottom tenth of NFL QBs. It was reported he scored a 19 the second time around at the combine, but that doesn’t change the fact that he was too dumb to run Sark’s offense.

FWIW some notable UW and UO QB scores I could find: Jason Maas 43, Hugh Millen 41, Kellen Clemens 35, Marcus Mariota 33, Joey Fivepicks 32, Dennis Dixon 29, Bill Musgrave 29, Brock Huard 25, Marques Tuiasosopo 24, Mark Brunel 22, Jake Locker 20, AJ Feeley 19,

2020 QBs had both their junior pro day and combine Wonderlic test results leaked: Justin Herbert 25 and 39, Jacob Eason 18 and 23, Tua 13 and 19. Akili Smith also has two, 26 and 37. Honorary shoutout to Ryan Leaf and his 27.

I was curious why the two scores, and found this for Akili Smith “he originally took the test and got a lower score. His agent Leigh Steinberg hired a tutor to help improve it.” That’s the case with Eason, Herbert, and Tua one would imagine, they prepped in order to improve it. That means that even with prep work in something that they knew would be a glaring deficiency the best Tua could muster is a 19.

The average of the last 10 QBs to win a Super Bowl is 29.6 with the lowest being Ben Roethlisberger at 25 and highest is Eli Manning at 39. Notable QBs at 20 and under: Michael Vick 20, Vinny Testaverde 17, Dan Marino 16, Steve McNair 15, Terry Bradshaw 15, Congressman Heath Schuler 14, Lamar Jackson 13, Vince Young 6.
    If Miami had been able to cobble any semblance of a defense and a just above average running game, Marino wins at least two SBs. A true pocket passer and a guy who could clearly read a defense. And he did what he did with average receivers.

There has to be a gap between the kind of intel tested on the Wonderlic and the quick recognition intel you need to make passing decisions.

did you track down Elway’s Wonderlic? The rap on him early on as an NFL qb was that he was not great at diagnosing and that “simplifying the offense” to take better advantage of his crazy athleticism at least early on was key to his success. That’s only buzz I vaguely recall from a long time ago so take it with a grain of salt.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Surprised that there is no EBT joke in this thread