Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

guys who drive Subarus

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,628
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Great cars. I’d never buy one.

I think they're pretty handy. I won't buy something that's guaranteed to need major repairs (water pump, timing belt, head gasket) every 100k though. What a scam.
  • Options
    TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 818
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited December 2021
    There were some years that your could get a Subaru with a fully mechanical non-interference engine and a manual transmission that never died. Buddy of mine put something like 400k on his. It was built like a brick shithouse. After that, they went the way of Europeans and have expensive maintenance at regular intervals.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Great cars. I’d never buy one.

I think they're pretty handy. I won't buy something that's guaranteed to need major repairs (water pump, timing belt, head gasket) every 100k though. What a scam.
    What’s a timing belt? My engine has a chain.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,313
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TXDawg said:

There were some years that your could get a Subaru with a fully mechanical non-interference engine and a manual transmission that never died. Buddy of mine put something like 400k on his. It was built like a brick shithouse. After that, they went the way of Europeans and have expensive maintenance at regular intervals.

In the last four years, I know of only three people who have faced major, expensive auto repairs. The first was me, with a Honda Odyssey that needed it's engine rebuilt three times and both axles replaced by 70K. Now, I have two friends that are/were looking at $9K repair bills: A 2014 F150 Ecoboost that needed a complete timing rebuild and both turbos replaced, and a 2017 Fusion Energi that needs a new transmission (he's since found an independent shop that'll throw in a reman for $5K).

Honda, Ford, Ford. (And the only reason I got my F150 for $3500 was that the engine was blown at 140K miles, like thousands upon thousands of other 3-valve Ford modulars of that vintage.) My BMW was far cheaper and more reliable by comparison. I think it's a crapshoot these days. Everything is built incredibly precisely, so it's just a matter of whether there's a design flaw.

As for Subarus, the the VRI up at Western consulted on the cylinder head design when they went to DOHC 4-valve heads. The boxer design has challenges with oiling and whatnot, but both they and Porsche have been making it work for a while. I test drove an Outback a bit over a decade ago when looking for a wagon, and I was shocked that any car of that vintage would actually struggle to get up a steep hill, but it was the 4-cylinder with the CVT, so maybe that's just too weak of a combo for the weight it carries.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Dudes that drive subarus are typically lesbians.

This doesn't look like lesbian driving to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROM5xoodjrc
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,524
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Subaru motors are soft. Axe any WRX owner about turning up the boost.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,150
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    dflea said:

Dudes that drive subarus are typically lesbians.

This doesn't look like lesbian driving to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROM5xoodjrc
    That’s what they want you to think
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,865
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    The Throbber is a total lesbian. Completely wired to engage in naughty acts with women.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The Throbber is a total lesbian. Completely wired to engage in naughty acts with women.

But still, you’re no substitute for a peanut butter craving black Labrador retriever.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

TXDawg said:

In the last four years, I know of only three people who have faced major, expensive auto repairs. The first was me, with a Honda Odyssey that needed it's engine rebuilt three times and both axles replaced by 70K. Now, I have two friends that are/were looking at $9K repair bills: A 2014 F150 Ecoboost that needed a complete timing rebuild and both turbos replaced, and a 2017 Fusion Energi that needs a new transmission (he's since found an independent shop that'll throw in a reman for $5K).

Honda, Ford, Ford. (And the only reason I got my F150 for $3500 was that the engine was blown at 140K miles, like thousands upon thousands of other 3-valve Ford modulars of that vintage.) My BMW was far cheaper and more reliable by comparison. I think it's a crapshoot these days. Everything is built incredibly precisely, so it's just a matter of whether there's a design flaw.

As for Subarus, the the VRI up at Western consulted on the cylinder head design when they went to DOHC 4-valve heads. The boxer design has challenges with oiling and whatnot, but both they and Porsche have been making it work for a while. I test drove an Outback a bit over a decade ago when looking for a wagon, and I was shocked that any car of that vintage would actually struggle to get up a steep hill, but it was the 4-cylinder with the CVT, so maybe that's just too weak of a combo for the weight it carries.
    My mom is on her 4th Outback with not a single issue. But I think they get a new one like every 70k.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,313
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

TXDawg said:

My mom is on her 4th Outback with not a single issue. But I think they get a new one like every 70k.
    My in-laws have had their 6-cylinder Outback for at least a decade now. No problems.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

TXDawg said:

My in-laws have had their 6-cylinder Outback for at least a decade now. No problems.
    Yeah I think the current one they have is a 6
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    subaru must be a PNW thing
  • Options
    AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,478
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2021

TXDawg said:

What the fucking fuck??? Hey, change your oil or something
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,524
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

subaru must be a PNW thing

They are. Every time I've gotten out of one my takeaways are shit interiors and the doors feel like tin cans when you shut them.