Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Washington

TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Ran across the following acrostic while reading and thought I'd share:

W itness, ye sons of tyrant's black doom,
A nd see his Excellence victorious come!
S erene, majestic, see he gains the field!
H eart is tender, while his arms are steel'd.
I ntent on virtue, and her cause so fair,
N now treats his captive with a parent's care!
G reatness of soul his ev'ry action shows,
T hus virtue from every bounty flows,
O ur GEORGE, by heaven, destin'd to command,
N ow strikes the British yoke with prosp'rous hand.

Of course, this was written "By a Young Lady" in honor of General Washington, the father of our country, and I'm sure many of you remember it from 11th grade American History class. Perhaps it's the season, but I think it has a bit of football spirit in it. Share it with family and friends on The Fourth which ain't far away and think of Dawgball along with the beer and ribs!

TG

Comments

• Options
    TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Kill yourself.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Sick poem, bro.

Leave the history poasts to others...it ain't your wheelhouse.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Sick poem, bro.

Leave the history poasts to others...it ain't your wheelhouse.

Tailgater misses GEORGE, dammit

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2013
    I hope your family commits you to a nursing home if you read that on the Fourth. If you read that, they will think you have lost your mind (if they haven't already).
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    great read (as always)
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Remain undaunted TG. Don't let these miserable and pathetic losers living in their mothers' basements bring you down.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Remain undaunted TG. Don't let these miserable and pathetic losers living in their mothers' basements bring you down.

A rich person in a mansion would appreciate the poem more than a loser in a basement?

• Options
    Founders Club

A rich person in a mansion would appreciate the poem more than a loser in a basement?

Absolutely. For example, go ask CFetters_Nacho_Lover to recite Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. He'll probably pause in confusion, before making an immediate reference to nacho cheese sauce.
  • Options

The stanza " H eart is tender, while his arms are steel'd. " brings to memory Husky LB Bruce Harrell's explanation of how as a Christian Athlete he reconciled being as hardnosed as he truly was when playing such a violent sport as football: "Play with love in your heart and blast the guy in front of you." I don't know if Harrell(1976-79) lives in a mansion, but he spurned the NFL draft to attend Harvard grad school.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Jesus fucking Christ
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tailgater said:

The stanza " H eart is tender, while his arms are steel'd. " brings to memory Husky LB Bruce Harrell's explanation of how as a Christian Athlete he reconciled being as hardnosed as he truly was when playing such a violent sport as football: "Play with love in your heart and blast the guy in front of you." I don't know if Harrell(1976-79) lives in a mansion, but he spurned the NFL draft to attend Harvard grad school.
    Best HCH board post so far
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2013

Jesus fucking Christ

Right? This guy can't be serious. I hope he is playing to the crowd and acting like this on purpose for some laughs. If not, to borrow a famous line from one of my best friends.. Wow, just wow.

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,862
    Founders Club

Absolutely. For example, go ask CFetters_Nacho_Lover to recite Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. He'll probably pause in confusion, before making an immediate reference to nacho cheese sauce.
    Huh?
  • Options
    Founders Club

Huh?
    I'm starting to suspect that you're not the real Chris Fetters.
  • Options
    DeepSeaZ said:
    I prefer Niedemier(sic) imitating GW hazing ROTC plebes on the football field, but the toga-guitar trick is cool. Time for a road trip...... to Chicago.

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,862
    Founders Club

Huh?
    I work for Scout. I have access to information that you don't.

• Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Huh?

What are you hearing?

• Options
    Founders Club

Huh?

"There's what is said publicly and what is said privately..."
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Scout doesn't work for you?