Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jen's desk cheat sheet coaches list

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,206
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    UW knows their fan base don't they?

WE can't

• Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

Large universities have been playing with monopoly money for decades.

value bets are meaningless when you are betting pocket change, you just want to pick the winner, if it costs a few extra dollars who gives a fuck.

You pay what it takes to get YOUR GUY, hedging into the 3rd or 4th choice to save a few pennies in 2-4 years is fucking dumb.

I see you didn't read my guysm stuff. I think the monopoly money metaphor isn't a metaphor. It's a bubble that's going to pop. You can only keep kicking the can down the road for so long. How many multi-million dollar coaching contracts can be on your books at same time? Two? Three? There are two components to the hire, and one is being able to fire the fucker if he ends up sucking. These insane contracts are going to bite schools in the ass when this all comes crashing down and they can't afford to fire their loser coach because they're not bringing in enough gate and the TV money shrank instead of continuing to balloon.

Furthermore, your logic only makes sense when there's some amount of certainty that "picking the winner" is possible. In a system as chaotic and random as picking a winning coach, in which the difference between your first and second choice is $30 million but the difference between either guy's odds of winning are so nebulous that even a group of message board retards can't come to a consensus, value bets are plenty meaningful.

When playing my odds for program success, I'm going to take three whacks at DeBoner over one whack at Lincoln Riley, and that's about how the math works out.
    Small time pussy hedge type thinking.

"Three whacks at DeBoner" over the next decade is much more expensive to the program over "one whack at Lincoln Riley" for 2-3 years.

If you can't find someone you think is the best for the job and are instead trying to "value" hire just put Sven in charge for 10K and call it a day.

Its all random anyways, might as well hire NAIA coaches for the next hundred years for cheap because it will save money!
    Sure, and if that was the predetermined outcome we wouldn't be having this conversation. If you disagree with the probabilities that @1to392831weretaken is throwing out there, then fucking say so and engage with that. But at this point you're just a @backthepack minion regurgitating the same "big dick" nonsense.

And tough fucking shit, because it's all moot. We don't have a fully guaranteed $100m to throw at a coach. We do in fact have much smaller dicks than USC and LSU, and if that's a surprise to you then you're a fucking idiot. The amount of dipshits here who appear to be shocked at the revelation that we stopped caring about football in the 90s is astounding. This isn't news. Look around. This is what we have and it's only going to get worse as the CFB parity gulf continues to widen. So either start a multi-billion dollar empire and give UW a slush fund to stay ahead in this sport, or just shut the fuck up already.
    UW got here by hiring 2nd and 3rd choices and making "safe" value bets. WE should keep doing that!

You cant expect, need some perspective, THIS economy, they have a contract.

DIAFF doog.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

value bets are meaningless when you are betting pocket change, you just want to pick the winner, if it costs a few extra dollars who gives a fuck.

You pay what it takes to get YOUR GUY, hedging into the 3rd or 4th choice to save a few pennies in 2-4 years is fucking dumb.

I see you didn't read my guysm stuff. I think the monopoly money metaphor isn't a metaphor. It's a bubble that's going to pop. You can only keep kicking the can down the road for so long. How many multi-million dollar coaching contracts can be on your books at same time? Two? Three? There are two components to the hire, and one is being able to fire the fucker if he ends up sucking. These insane contracts are going to bite schools in the ass when this all comes crashing down and they can't afford to fire their loser coach because they're not bringing in enough gate and the TV money shrank instead of continuing to balloon.

Furthermore, your logic only makes sense when there's some amount of certainty that "picking the winner" is possible. In a system as chaotic and random as picking a winning coach, in which the difference between your first and second choice is $30 million but the difference between either guy's odds of winning are so nebulous that even a group of message board retards can't come to a consensus, value bets are plenty meaningful.

When playing my odds for program success, I'm going to take three whacks at DeBoner over one whack at Lincoln Riley, and that's about how the math works out.

"Three whacks at DeBoner" over the next decade is much more expensive to the program over "one whack at Lincoln Riley" for 2-3 years.

If you can't find someone you think is the best for the job and are instead trying to "value" hire just put Sven in charge for 10K and call it a day.

Its all random anyways, might as well hire NAIA coaches for the next hundred years for cheap because it will save money!
    Sure, and if that was the predetermined outcome we wouldn't be having this conversation. If you disagree with the probabilities that @1to392831weretaken is throwing out there, then fucking say so and engage with that. But at this point you're just a @backthepack minion regurgitating the same "big dick" nonsense.

And tough fucking shit, because it's all moot. We don't have a fully guaranteed $100m to throw at a coach. We do in fact have much smaller dicks than USC and LSU, and if that's a surprise to you then you're a fucking idiot. The amount of dipshits here who appear to be shocked at the revelation that we stopped caring about football in the 90s is astounding. This isn't news. Look around. This is what we have and it's only going to get worse as the CFB parity gulf continues to widen. So either start a multi-billion dollar empire and give UW a slush fund to stay ahead in this sport, or just shut the fuck up already.
    UW got here by hiring 2nd and 3rd choices and making "safe" value bets. WE should keep doing that!

DIAFF doog.
    A doog thinks coaching prospects 2,000 miles away actually give a shit about UW and our second rate program.

We're not big time, and haven't been for decades. Sorry you had to hear it from me. If you can't cope with it you can always kill yourself.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

DIAFF doog.
    A doog thinks coaching prospects 2,000 miles away actually give a shit about UW and our second rate program.

We're not big time, and haven't been for decades. Sorry you had to hear it from me. If you can't cope with it you can always kill yourself.
    And this is a sure recipe to make sure that doesn't change

Lather rinse repeat
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I can understand not liking the Deboer hire but I do not understand why people hold Matt Campbell on such a high pedestal in comparison.

I don't understand why our only choice was these two guys

Typical UW false choice bullshit coaching search. Hell Wilcox was to scare everyone into a Mountain West hire and like it

Notre Dame may hire Campbell or they may come calling for DeBoer
  • Options

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

DIAFF doog.

Lather rinse repeat
    I like how you frame it as if there are variable outcomes here. There aren't. You of all people should know that. Unless you have a formula for changing the demographics and institutional apathy of a has-been football school. Then I'm all ears.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

DIAFF doog.

Lather rinse repeat
    I like how you frame it as if there are variable outcomes here. There aren't. You of all people should know that. Unless you have a formula for changing the demographics and institutional apathy of a has-been football school. Then I'm all ears.
    Nothing we can do. Oregon invented a program from scratch but poor old UW just doesn't have the resources or desire to do so.

The fans eat this shit up every time and make the excuses for the program so the AD doesn't have to

10 years 100 million dollars gets a coach.

If you want to go cheap the MAC is the cradle of coaches. The Mountain West is where coaches go to die.
  • Options

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

DIAFF doog.

Lather rinse repeat
    Nothing we can do. Oregon invented a program from scratch but poor old UW just doesn't have the resources or desire to do so.

The fans eat this shit up every time and make the excuses for the program so the AD doesn't have to

10 years 100 million dollars gets a coach.

If you want to go cheap the MAC is the cradle of coaches. The Mountain West is where coaches go to die.
    Some fans make excuses. Others are just in the acceptance phase of grieving over the death of UW football.

I see you're still grappling with the bargaining phase. Tough place to be.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I say we just skip the bullshit and hire the Kent State coach and be done with it

The Golden Flashes are going to beat the DAWGS next year anyway
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,555
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

7 million isn't big money

The fact that Jen didn't know that speaks volumes

I'd say both Deboner and Campbell are not first page but they were for Jen

It will play out regardless of whether I let it or not

Jen is a symptom. Its pretty clear that the USC boosters pulled a coup and told President Folt either her signature or her brains would be on the contract

UW doesn't get it and never will

Still pumping the we do it the right way bullshit that had the Pac 9 all to happy to drop the hammer

We'll see if the new guy fucks up the staff and enjoy more excuses why we can't

Not sure I agree with the Folt part. She’s always been very athletics-friendly and when USC hired her away from UNC, I knew it meant the AD would get cleaned up and they’d recommit to having a tier 1 football program.

She is the one who told the NCAA to go fuck themselves during the whole academic fraud investigation. USC is run by the boosters, but Folt isn’t going to be someone who stands in their way of hiring who they want, unless it’s something absurd.
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited November 2021
    New Hampshire, USD, failed retread NFL coach. 3 best hires Pac 12 programs have made in the last two decades. All three we would be pissed at if those where our new coach was coming from right now.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ducks pushed out Bellotti for Chip after seeing his offense

Harbaugh was a hot candidate

USC got lucky with Pete

When's the last time we got lucky?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm hearing this program is dead and not capable of winning the Pac12 or going to the playoffs.

Pea patch then. Why even bother hiring a coach?
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

New Hampshire, USD, failed retread NFL coach. 3 best hires Pac 12 programs have made in the last two decades. All three we would be pissed at if those where our new coach was coming from right now.

THIS.

Pete Carroll, one of the top 2 hires in the Pac-12 in the past 50 YEARS (along with Don James), wasn't even supposed to interview at USC. His daughter was going there for school and when visiting campus, he called upon the AD to chat.

Harbaugh came from a lower-tier school than Fresno State and Chip Kelly was plucked out of NH (a school lower than Fresno State as well) to be Bellotti's OC before taking over.
  • Options
    HFNY said:

THIS.

Pete Carroll, one of the top 2 hires in the Pac-12 in the past 50 YEARS (along with Don James), wasn't even supposed to interview at USC. His daughter was going there for school and when visiting campus, he called upon the AD to chat.

Harbaugh came from a lower-tier school than Fresno State and Chip Kelly was plucked out of NH (a school lower than Fresno State as well) to be Bellotti's OC before taking over.
    And Stan Empanada Mama was a 2 star. These conversations are so fucking stale.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,812
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Ducks pushed out Bellotti for Chip after seeing his offense

Harbaugh was a hot candidate

USC got lucky with Pete

When's the last time we got lucky?

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,812
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Chimp was an OC from Vermont or something. Maybe I'm dense, but what's the difference?