Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Noted football personnel expert heard from...

DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
edited November 2021 in Hardcore Husky Board
...while still digging the enormous grave. Insists he was right all along about Jimmy Lake as a coach. Loved the hire at the time. He wasn't wrong, you know. Jimmy changed. What a flaming cunt. Jfc man.

Kim Grinolds
STAFF
Posted on 10 hrs, V I P, User Since 242 months ago, User Post Count: 38066
10 hrs
VIP
242 months
iambull said... (original post) Can't wait to read it Scott. Anything you, CF, KG can talk about as to why it went So Bad So Quickly for JL will be a fascinating read.
________
Let's just say he changed.

And those who say it was a bad hire, are those you shouldn't pay attention to. Revisionists. Always the smartest guys in the room.

Comments

• AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,052 Standard Supporter
    It was a shitty hire. But at the time it was a great hire. Got it.
  • PatsDoog said:

Hindsight is 20/20

Isn't that the point?

A good hire is only a good hire if it works out regardless of whether it can be justified on the day it was made.

Otherwise we're just giving the person making the hire a free pass.

• CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    It was a terrible hire. People being ok/liking it at the time doesn't mean jack shit.
  • DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    edited November 2021
    PatsDoog said:

I'll stand by the opinion that from a bystander perspective, Lake was a good hire at the time. Coming off 2 of the biggest programs (OSU, OU) in CFB handing the reins off to an assistant and providing a seamless transition while maintaining success, it made sense to try to mimic that. It didnt work and Lake proved to be a dumbass, but his success as a positional coach and coordinator gave enough reason to take a chance. Hindsight is 20/20

I find no disagreement there. Jimmy fooled me for a short time.

But that's not even in the same realm as saying we were both right, he just became a bad coach afterwards. You have to be a dickless alcoholic midget to say something that fucktardedly fucktarded.

I could never hear his name again but saying something that obnoxiously out of touch triggers something in my brain saying don't trust a word he says.

I'm literally dumbfounded. Jim Jones safely in the jungles of Guyana wouldn't even say something that blatantly illogical.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    PatsDoog said:

I'll stand by the opinion that from a bystander perspective, Lake was a good hire at the time. Coming off 2 of the biggest programs (OSU, OU) in CFB handing the reins off to an assistant and providing a seamless transition while maintaining success, it made sense to try to mimic that. It didnt work and Lake proved to be a dumbass, but his success as a positional coach and coordinator gave enough reason to take a chance. Hindsight is 20/20

His positional recruiting was always below where it should have been, he had no coaching connections at all, the defensive coaching and recruiting did not improve when he was given more control.

I pointed these things out before Lake was internally promoted to HC by the worst AD in the country.

Some of you act like Lake's failure was unforeseeable, it wasn't if you were paying attention... but even I didnt think it would happen so soon.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,165
    I love the classic allergy to humility that Kim continues to display. It's not hard to say that Lake seemed like a good hire at the time. I certainly thought so.

But it turns out he was a shit dick the whole time. We were wrong, it happens quite a bit in such an unpredictable profession. It's only hard to acknowledge that if you're still deluding yourself into thinking you bat 1.000.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,052 Standard Supporter
    edited November 2021
    Houhusky said:

PatsDoog said:

His positional recruiting was always below where it should have been, he had no coaching connections at all, the defensive coaching and recruiting did not improve when he was given more control.

I pointed these things out before Lake was internally promoted to HC by the worst AD in the country.

Some of you act like Lake's failure was unforeseeable, it wasn't if you were paying attention... but even I didnt think it would happen so soon.
    At his position he got some big snags. He coasted after getting promoted and they thought they could develop anyone which was dumb.

These guys were highly recruited whether or not they panned out.

Mcduffie
    Gordon
    Irvin
    Taylor
    Murphy
    Molden
    Getting Myles Bryant to turn down other offers to walk on was a big deal too.
  • RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160

...while still digging the enormous grave. Insists he was right all along about Jimmy Lake as a coach. Loved the hire at the time. He wasn't wrong, you know. Jimmy changed. What a flaming cunt. Jfc man.

Kim Grinolds
    STAFF
    10 hrs
    VIP
    242 months
    iambull said... (original post) Can't wait to read it Scott. Anything you, CF, KG can talk about as to why it went So Bad So Quickly for JL will be a fascinating read.
    ________

And those who say it was a bad hire, are those you shouldn't pay attention to. Revisionists. Always the smartest guys in the room.

I submit that Lake didn’t fail because he changed. He failed because he didn’t change. Stepping up from coordinator to head coach requires massive changes because you’re in charge of the entire program. He never stepped up to the job. Seemed to think he could “do” the job being the same guy, with an added dose of overconfidence and arrogance. If he’d had the self awareness to realize he was over his head from the jump BUT had worked his ass off to grow into the job maybe he’d have made it. Smugly telling himself “I got this” was the worst thing he could have done. Well, unless his goal all along was to fool everybody for as long as he could then collect a $10 million payout when shown the door.

• TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,827 Swaye's Wigwam

Kim Grinolds
    STAFF
    10 hrs
    VIP
    242 months
    ________

I submit that Lake didn’t fail because he changed. He failed because he didn’t change. Stepping up from coordinator to head coach requires massive changes because you’re in charge of the entire program. He never stepped up to the job. Seemed to think he could “do” the job being the same guy, with an added dose of overconfidence and arrogance. If he’d had the self awareness to realize he was over his head from the jump BUT had worked his ass off to grow into the job maybe he’d have made it. Smugly telling himself “I got this” was the worst thing he could have done. Well, unless his goal all along was to fool everybody for as long as he could then collect a $10 million payout when shown the door.

And, lest we forget, he got fired for saying stupid shit and hitting a player with a piece of paper.

Throw those two things out, and we are having a different kind of fun in here right now.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

I love the classic allergy to humility that Kim continues to display. It's not hard to say that Lake seemed like a good hire at the time. I certainly thought so.

But it turns out he was a shit dick the whole time. We were wrong, it happens quite a bit in such an unpredictable profession. It's only hard to acknowledge that if you're still deluding yourself into thinking you bat 1.000.

If you have not gotten some shit on your dick you haven’t lived yet