Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What UW can do to fix the game day experience at Husky Stadium

Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,828
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
If anyone from the UW Athletic Department lurks these boreds, here is some free advice to improve the game day experience:

Things UW/AD can fix on their own

- Schedule better teams. There should be at least one home game annually with a big name program. And no more scheduling FCS teams.
- Lower season ticket prices. The game day experience gets worse, ticket demand is down, yet season ticket prices aren’t dropping. UW needs to reward their best customers and encourage more season ticket holders by reducing prices. A 20% reduction would be a good start, especially with next year’s home schedule.
- Add way more entry/reentry staff at Husky Stadium, plus better crowd control leading up to them on the outside
- Bring back re-entry
- If you are selling beer in stadium, add beer men selling in the stands. Way too many people are getting up during game play to buy beer and it’s annoying. Plus people are holding/drinking beers rather than clap and cheer. A beverage cup holder at each seat may be a way to encourage people to set down their drinks more often.
- Calm down on the advertisements. Stop flashing ads on that LED “ad stripe” which horseshoes the field during actual game play. Use it instead to display school colors, etc.
- Too much noise and distractions on Jumbotron. The silly Jumbotron games and DJ Supper Slam are just too much. I’d rather hear the band play “Neck.”

Things UW/AD can fix with assistance from others

- Go back to as many 12:30 pm kickoffs as possible. It’s better for fans, better for traffic.
- Play no more than one night game at home each season
- No more Friday home games, except maybe the Apple Cup on Black Friday.
- TV timeouts are too frequent and too long in college football. Work with conference and TV partners and fix. NFL games are a better experience due to this.
- PAC-12 refs suck, and the conference needs to fix that. The replay reviews are too long, but I attribute that to the P12 doing a shit job of managing, cultivating, and properly equipping conference officials.
- More frequent light rail trains during games. Bring back bus shuttles to Federal Way that bypass the Rainier Valley snail rail portion of ST light rail.

Things UW/AD have no control over

- Horrible I-5 traffic in Seattle and on the way to Seattle. For example the perpetual Tacoma traffic shitshow has had a major negative impact on fans from the South Sound and Southwest Washington. Earlier kickoff times is one way to improve this.
- Outdoor mask & vax mandates are stupid, but it’s the fascist local health Nazis, not UW, who have control over these.

Please add to this list!

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,668
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Second getting rid of bright, flashing ads, and getting back to kickoffs at 12:30.

Give the band room to breathe and play music. The corny "blue thunder" thing at Seahawks game gets more of a chance to play than the UW band does.

Cut the PA commenting down by 90%.

I would also move the students back to midfield.
  • Options
    fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Win

That solves over 2/3 of the problems

There are many other things that could improve... but that is the only one that truly matters.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

If anyone from the UW Athletic Department lurks these boreds, here is some free advice to improve the game day experience:

Things UW/AD can fix on their own

- Schedule better teams. There should be at least one home game annually with a big name program. And no more scheduling FCS teams.
    - Lower season ticket prices. The game day experience gets worse, ticket demand is down, yet season ticket prices aren’t dropping. UW needs to reward their best customers and encourage more season ticket holders by reducing prices. A 20% reduction would be a good start, especially with next year’s home schedule.
    - Add way more entry/reentry staff at Husky Stadium, plus better crowd control leading up to them on the outside
    - Bring back re-entry
    - If you are selling beer in stadium, add beer men selling in the stands. Way too many people are getting up during game play to buy beer and it’s annoying. Plus people are holding/drinking beers rather than clap and cheer. A beverage cup holder at each seat may be a way to encourage people to set down their drinks more often.
    - Calm down on the advertisements. Stop flashing ads on that LED “ad stripe” which horseshoes the field during actual game play. Use it instead to display school colors, etc.
    - Too much noise and distractions on Jumbotron. The silly Jumbotron games and DJ Supper Slam are just too much. I’d rather hear the band play “Neck.”

Things UW/AD can fix with assistance from others

- Go back to as many 12:30 pm kickoffs as possible. It’s better for fans, better for traffic.
    - Play no more than one night game at home each season
    - No more Friday home games, except maybe the Apple Cup on Black Friday.
    - TV timeouts are too frequent and too long in college football. Work with conference and TV partners and fix. NFL games are a better experience due to this.
    - PAC-12 refs suck, and the conference needs to fix that. The replay reviews are too long, but I attribute that to the P12 doing a shit job of managing, cultivating, and properly equipping conference officials.
    - More frequent light rail trains during games. Bring back bus shuttles to Federal Way that bypass the Rainier Valley snail rail portion of ST light rail.

Things UW/AD have no control over

- Horrible I-5 traffic in Seattle and on the way to Seattle. For example the perpetual Tacoma traffic shitshow has had a major negative impact on fans from the South Sound and Southwest Washington. Earlier kickoff times is one way to improve this.
    - Outdoor mask & vax mandates are stupid, but it’s the fascist local health Nazis, not UW, who have control over these.

Please add to this list!

The schools don’t control game times. Once they sold their souls to TV, that ship sailed..

That’s why I put it into the second category. The P12 can easily fix this when their deal is up. The era of streaming is the future so I hope the P12 leads the way into this future rather than continue to sellout to an older model that is alienating the conference’s best fans or be a Johnny-come-lately in the latest fads, such as conference TV networks, and then do a shit job with them.

If they do sellout, they should be willing to take a haircut to demand set kickoff times and game times that best accommodate home fans. If every P12 team only does one 7pm kickoff, that is still 12 weeks of 7pm games the conference can offer. Plus some P12 teams, such as the Arizona schools may want to voluntarily play more night games.

With Seattle traffic and weather, it is time to pull the plug on most night games at Husky Stadium.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Win

There are many other things that could improve... but that is the only one that truly matters.

Not for me. I could watch them win at home on TV. They still need to dramatically improve the game day experience at Husky Stadium. They are real close to losing me as a season ticket holder.

• Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    TLDR

Fucking win.
  • Options
    fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Win

Not for me. I could watch them win at home on TV. They still need to dramatically improve the game day experience at Husky Stadium. They are real close to losing me as a season ticket holder.

Night games are not going away.... so you may as well just give up your tix.

Your list of demands is a bit comical at this point...

No disrespect intended, but it is a bit funny. Without wins none of the other 'fan experience' extras matter.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Win

Night games are not going away.... so you may as well just give up your tix.

Your list of demands is a bit comical at this point...

No disrespect intended, but it is a bit funny. Without wins none of the other 'fan experience' extras matter.
    No, they really do matter. UW is doing a shit job off of the field too, and it should be fixed. Great, winning programs should be great across the board. Let’s fucking fix everything broken!

• Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Win. Next question.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2016-2018 Say hi in terms of winning and stands will be full

Must drop cost of season tickets. You can go onto 2ndary market and get same better tickets for a quarter of the cost.

They did get traction with 50% off concessions up to hour b4 kick. Make it up to 30 minutes and add merchandise into equation.
  • Options
    4thDownsJimmy4thDownsJimmy Member Posts: 36
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Get rid of the fucking DJ, move the student section back hire a fucking winning coach
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,184
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I would love to be a fly on the wall when Cohen meets with these national “gameday experience consultation” firms and they tell her what sells in today’s PAC-12.