Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Huard looks great

2»

Comments

• CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,462 Swaye's Wigwam

He threw something like three really nice passes in the entire game. Only one that wasn't short and routine. The best was the incomplete fade to the end zone in the 4th quarter. That was a perfect throw, nice route by the receiver, just a great play by the DB. Thing is, Morris tends to throw one or two pretty balls per game, too.

Let's compare the rest of the body of work:
    Wildly missing a routine 10 yard out to a wide open receiver in two-minute offense late.
    Scrambling right and throwing exactly in between two wide open receivers on the sideline, the only place you could throw such that neither receiver had a prayer at catching it.
    Laser to Odunze's face on a crossing route that he drops. (Absolutely should have been caught anyway, but that ball needs to be on the forward shoulder to create the intended YAC, and that's a 95% throw for a good QB to be able to do. This is exactly like the "slight inaccuracy" that I was dogging Morris for last season while everyone else was blowing him.)
    Both the completed and incompleted deep balls to Polk were wildly underthrown jump balls.
    The completed deep ball to Odunze was underthrown into coverage. Lucky the DB slipped.
    Odunze's circus catch was a highlight for Odunze and a lowlight for Huard.
    Culp doing Culp things was 99% Culp's fault, but that was a wobbly ball.
    WSU #35 was 2 for 2 when targeted...

Criticism of Morris is inaccuracy, lack of touch, balls batted down, and turnovers. I saw all of those things except batted balls from Huard. In the Elite-11 competition, Morris was specifically praised for his big arm and accuracy downfield. Two years in this program, and he can't hit the broad side of a barn. We've all seen Huard's film--pass after pass of bombs that would land in a garbage can (#godeeporgohome), yet he's suddenly off by five yards on all of his deep throws when he suits up for Washington?

It's clear that none of the QBs on the roster have a feel for where the receivers are actually going to be on a given play against a given defensive look. There is no timing, no muscle memory. There are also no easy throws (deLaura's passes went to receivers who were open by an average for four yards) due to ineffective scheme. Watching this game (I was visiting in the in-laws and drunk, so what else was I going to do?) opened my eyes to a certain extent. It's challenged my assumption that Morris is terrible. Now, the assumption has to be either all of the UW quarterbacks are terrible or they have multiple serviceable quarterbacks that are broken by the coaching/system, as Morris and Huard seem to have the same problems.

I don't know what Morris' dad was popping off with last night, but I don't blame him for spiking the football a bit. I also no longer want to see Morris transfer. He may still be a bust, but he also might thrive under a real coach, real training program, real receivers with effort and hands not made of stone. After last night, seems he'd have just as good of odds as Huard, so why run guysm off?

Tldr but people always assume players are going to be exactly who they are as true freshman. There's a reason these guys practice and end up playing more when they're older. My opinion is that he looked pretty bad but has potential
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,827 Swaye's Wigwam
    UW offense is easy for other defenses to prepare for, so much of what was seen this year has to have an asterisk next to it when evaluating UW talent.
  • coach_pete_JPGcoach_pete_JPG Member Posts: 1,218
    Props to Bob knowing he’s getting shit canned to let Huard play the whole game. I guess LIPO after being under the guidance of offensive juggernaut JonDon, and maybe two weeks of meaning snaps in practice.

None of them cared to be there last night so fitting end to Jimmy’s legacy.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,737
    Sam needs to be in a spread offense hitting short passes in rhythm.

He’s not a generational talent but plenty good enough to be a winning p12 qb.

He has had the exact opposite of good college coaching up to this point.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,165

He threw something like three really nice passes in the entire game. Only one that wasn't short and routine. The best was the incomplete fade to the end zone in the 4th quarter. That was a perfect throw, nice route by the receiver, just a great play by the DB. Thing is, Morris tends to throw one or two pretty balls per game, too.

Wildly missing a routine 10 yard out to a wide open receiver in two-minute offense late.
    Scrambling right and throwing exactly in between two wide open receivers on the sideline, the only place you could throw such that neither receiver had a prayer at catching it.
    Laser to Odunze's face on a crossing route that he drops. (Absolutely should have been caught anyway, but that ball needs to be on the forward shoulder to create the intended YAC, and that's a 95% throw for a good QB to be able to do. This is exactly like the "slight inaccuracy" that I was dogging Morris for last season while everyone else was blowing him.)
    Both the completed and incompleted deep balls to Polk were wildly underthrown jump balls.
    The completed deep ball to Odunze was underthrown into coverage. Lucky the DB slipped.

Criticism of Morris is inaccuracy, lack of touch, balls batted down, and turnovers. I saw all of those things except batted balls from Huard. In the Elite-11 competition, Morris was specifically praised for his big arm and accuracy downfield. Two years in this program, and he can't hit the broad side of a barn. We've all seen Huard's film--pass after pass of bombs that would land in a garbage can (#godeeporgohome), yet he's suddenly off by five yards on all of his deep throws when he suits up for Washington?

It's clear that none of the QBs on the roster have a feel for where the receivers are actually going to be on a given play against a given defensive look. There is no timing, no muscle memory. There are also no easy throws (deLaura's passes went to receivers who were open by an average for four yards) due to ineffective scheme. Watching this game (I was visiting in the in-laws and drunk, so what else was I going to do?) opened my eyes to a certain extent. It's challenged my assumption that Morris is terrible. Now, the assumption has to be either all of the UW quarterbacks are terrible or they have multiple serviceable quarterbacks that are broken by the coaching/system, as Morris and Huard seem to have the same problems.

I don't know what Morris' dad was popping off with last night, but I don't blame him for spiking the football a bit. I also no longer want to see Morris transfer. He may still be a bust, but he also might thrive under a real coach, real training program, real receivers with effort and hands not made of stone. After last night, seems he'd have just as good of odds as Huard, so why run guysm off?

None of your Huard observations are inaccurate. We've now seen one awful game from him. He's 0-1.

But we've seen 10+ shit fests from Morris. That's a big fucking difference. They may both suck, I can't say for sure. But I can say for sure that Morris is beyond helping, and no new coaching staff is going to save him. I'm not sure how you could even be close to considering giving him more chances. Let him transfer to a G5 and be done with it.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,019

He might suck but im not going to judge based on 1 game with a lifeless corpse of a team. He isn’t going to be a “savior” and 4 picks is concerning but I still want him out there instead of Morris.

Exactly.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    HuskyJW said:

HuskyJW said:

That is all

Just like Mario

Pussy talks after the fact
    In all honesty, what else do we have to go on? It’s not like he was getting reps during the season

HuskyJW said:

That is all

Just like Mario

Pussy talks after the fact
    In all honesty, what else do we have to go on? It’s not like he was getting reps during the season
    You can shut your fucking pie hole for starters
    Hurtful
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,057 Founders Club

Thanks Teq!
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,052 Standard Supporter
    Huard very well could suck.
    Morris does suck. I can’t take another year of him throwing the ball Into the chest of pass rushers. Dude has no touch.
  • TrumpsWallTrumpsWall Member Posts: 467
    Huard is a few months removed from high school and had terrible coaching. I’m willing to wait a little longer to judge. But I sure like these athletic qbs that can run occasionally too.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Golden rule of HH, he suck until he doesn’t
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,461 Founders Club

Huard is a few months removed from high school and had terrible coaching. I’m willing to wait a little longer to judge. But I sure like these athletic qbs that can run occasionally too.

The phrase your looking for is dual threat QB. College Football flipped to that business model for a decade, except for a certain school in the Pac-12 North....

UW Hold my beer
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,576 Swaye's Wigwam

Morris does suck. I can’t take another year of him throwing the ball Into the chest of pass rushers. Dude has no touch.

Huard hit a white jersey right between the 3 and the 5 twice! I'm just saying it may be a systemic issue.

None of your Huard observations are inaccurate. We've now seen one awful game from him. He's 0-1.

But we've seen 10+ shit fests from Morris. That's a big fucking difference. They may both suck, I can't say for sure. But I can say for sure that Morris is beyond helping, and no new coaching staff is going to save him. I'm not sure how you could even be close to considering giving him more chances. Let him transfer to a G5 and be done with it.

Before Friday, I would completely agree with you. Watching Morris the last two seasons has been like having a rusty nail jammed up my peehole. ATBS, there's not much of a precedent for a QB being that bad in his debut and then getting good. At UW's level, the only way they come close to reaching the kind of expectations you see around here is to have one of the best quarterbacks in the country. "At least throw fewer than five interceptions" doesn't cut it. My hypothesis is that, with no change in coaching staff, we'd watch Huard for 10 games and hate him even more than Morris because the expectations were higher. Put another way, that was WAY worse than Browning's true freshman debut, so...

All I'm getting at is that the only difference between Morris and Huard at this point is sample size. So much of playing quarterback successfully is mechanics: Successful plays are designed with routes that are stacked such that one of several options will pop open at a specific point in the quarterback's drop or layered such that primary, secondary, tertiary options open up at specific, repeatable points in the drop. You practice these concepts over and over and over again until the quarterback can fit the ball to every receiver he needs to with his eyes closed. Every quarterback who has touched a football for this team in the last season and change has looked so poorly and so rarely has had a really open look that I get the impression none of them have any feel for where their receivers are going to be at a given time in any play. I think we'd hate Bryce Young if he played here, and that's the problem.

I mean, it's really the only hope, right? All I'm saying is that either the system is so broken that it's making all of the quarterbacks look like shit or we have absofuckinglutely nothing and better hit the transfer portal and pray to @SpiritHorse that there's a savior in there. I don't buy the small/large sample size argument; that was bad Friday. Either it's a systemic problem or there is no hope on the roster.

Thanks Teq!

You wanna take the gloves off, Nacho? I earned my MBA on the streets!
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,019

Huard hit a white jersey right between the 3 and the 5 twice! I'm just saying it may be a systemic issue.

Before Friday, I would completely agree with you. Watching Morris the last two seasons has been like having a rusty nail jammed up my peehole. ATBS, there's not much of a precedent for a QB being that bad in his debut and then getting good. At UW's level, the only way they come close to reaching the kind of expectations you see around here is to have one of the best quarterbacks in the country. "At least throw fewer than five interceptions" doesn't cut it. My hypothesis is that, with no change in coaching staff, we'd watch Huard for 10 games and hate him even more than Morris because the expectations were higher. Put another way, that was WAY worse than Browning's true freshman debut, so...

All I'm getting at is that the only difference between Morris and Huard at this point is sample size. So much of playing quarterback successfully is mechanics: Successful plays are designed with routes that are stacked such that one of several options will pop open at a specific point in the quarterback's drop or layered such that primary, secondary, tertiary options open up at specific, repeatable points in the drop. You practice these concepts over and over and over again until the quarterback can fit the ball to every receiver he needs to with his eyes closed. Every quarterback who has touched a football for this team in the last season and change has looked so poorly and so rarely has had a really open look that I get the impression none of them have any feel for where their receivers are going to be at a given time in any play. I think we'd hate Bryce Young if he played here, and that's the problem.

I mean, it's really the only hope, right? All I'm saying is that either the system is so broken that it's making all of the quarterbacks look like shit or we have absofuckinglutely nothing and better hit the transfer portal and pray to @SpiritHorse that there's a savior in there. I don't buy the small/large sample size argument; that was bad Friday. Either it's a systemic problem or there is no hope on the roster.

Thanks Teq!

This is why teams like the dual threat. Easier to have a shitty system/coaching if the kid can can create and ad hoc his way to wins.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,576 Swaye's Wigwam

Thanks Teq!

This is why teams like the dual threat. Easier to have a shitty system/coaching if the kid can can create and ad hoc his way to wins.
    I watched the Civil War highlights on YouTube last night, and I get the distinct impression that Meat has thrown his hands up, said, "Fuck it!" and is willing to run, essentially, the single wing. They've overshot "dual threat" and landed back on single threat with the single threat being legs.

I wish we could be so lucky...
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,052 Standard Supporter

Thanks Teq!

This was darnold at usc basically. Scramble to throw was their best play.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Huard should take this game as a kick in the ass of realization that he's, at this point, a crappy college QB. The good news is he's hot plenty of time to improve. Hopefully he works his ass off over the offseason and lives up to his talent.

He is a rich, private school kid who probably hasn't faced much adversity in his life. That's not his fault, it's just a fact. Sometimes it's tough for kids from that background to self-reflect. We'll see how he handles this.

I don’t think Huard will be coddled and led to believe he’s a superstar. Smalls handlers and family did that with him and unless he does a 180, he has no chance.

Huard’s dad and family will let him know he has to get better and I’m sure he knows as well. Do not blame it on the shitty staff, the supporting cast, etc. Work hard and get better.