Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DeBoer is the best fit for the current O skill guys

HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Standard Supporter
Who are the most promising players on the offensive side of the ball and which coach would best keep them from hitting the portal based upon his offensive scheme and results? Can you imagine DeBoer running an offense with these guys? The new OL coach should be an upgrade as well: https://gobulldogs.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/roman-sapolu/2248

QB: Huard
WR: McMillan
WR: Odunze
TE: Mark Redman
WR: Taj Davis
RB: Cam Davis
RB: Emeka Megwa (reminds me a little of Chris Polk and could move to LB)
WR: Polk

So this is what I see (hope?) happening with Aranda likely staying at Baylor and Campbell going to USC, LSU, or staying at ISU:

Kalen DeBoer to UW
DeBoer's OC / QB coach / Associate HC Ryan Grubbs to Fresno State as HC
Jeff Tedford back to UW as OC / QB coach (and if Tedford goes to Cal or elsewhere, then DeBoer hires Graham Harrell)
Deboer's RB coach and running game coordinator Lee Marks to same with added title of Associate Head Coach

DeBoer has a good overall staff so it may be tough for him to let go of guys he knows (like WR coach Kirby Moore) for current Husky coaches (such as Adams, Malloe, or anyone else).

SO JEN, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, YOU WILL HAVE MY GRATITUDE IF YOU HIRE KALEN DEBOER

Comments

• Options
    GayThoughtsGayThoughts Member Posts: 433
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Grubb is their OL coach in everything but title, DeBoer handles the QBs and Grubb the OL, an arrangement they’ve had since their time in the badlands of South Dakota. Part of the appeal of DeBoer is Grubb’s ability to coach up OL. If he were to stay in Fresno, DeBoer would need to make an outside hire for OL coach.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,324
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    No thanks to Graham Harrell.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,980
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Grubb is their OL coach in everything but title, DeBoer handles the QBs and Grubb the OL, an arrangement they’ve had since their time in the badlands of South Dakota. Part of the appeal of DeBoer is Grubb’s ability to coach up OL. If he were to stay in Fresno, DeBoer would need to make an outside hire for OL coach.

The few times I have watched them their offensive line kind of sucks.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,554
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Harrell? You dipshit! Not a chance in hell

Agree
  • Options
    sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    It seems like I'm the only one not on the Kalen train, but it looks like he will be our next head coach. The lack of experience recruiting is a huge red flag, along with never coaching at a significant P5 job.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,617
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

It seems like I'm the only one not on the Kalen train, but it looks like he will be our next head coach. The lack of experience recruiting is a huge red flag, along with never coaching at a significant P5 job.

I'm surprised at how much some of you value fairly uneven or middling results at a power five school.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Why are these huge red flags? Tons of coaches are successful at their first P5 HC jobs. Guys who dominate their levels tend to succeed as they move up.

He's not my number one guy but I don't see any reason to be more worried about his ability to recruit than Campbell's, for instance.

H'es a winner and has won big. Those guys usually figure out how to recruit.
  • Options
    chuck said:

I'm surprised at how much some of you value fairly uneven or middling results at a power five school.
    I'm not talking about head coaching experience at a power five; I am talking about being a coordinator or position coach. You won't be prepared until you know the BS you have to put up with and the time and energy needed to recruit at a high level.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    dnc said:

Why are these huge red flags? Tons of coaches are successful at their first P5 HC jobs. Guys who dominate their levels tend to succeed as they move up.

He's not my number one guy but I don't see any reason to be more worried about his ability to recruit than Campbell's, for instance.

H'es a winner and has won big. Those guys usually figure out how to recruit.
    Winner at low level football. Completely different than what it takes at a Power five conference. At the lower level, it's all about coaching; in Power five, it's all about recruiting something he has no idea about.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,617
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I'm not talking about head coaching experience at a power five; I am talking about being a coordinator or position coach. You won't be prepared until you know the BS you have to put up with and the time and energy needed to recruit at a high level.
    I understand that and am sure you're right. I'm of the opinion, though, that people who excel tend to excel at every level (like what DNC just posted). The same brains and drive that lead to 67-3 translate to the next level. That's the theory.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Any chance Tedford joins his staff?
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,416
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

chuck said:

He was the offensive coordinator for Indiana in 2019 and vastly improved their offense. Then it fell off a cliff when he left.

• Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,112
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Sounds like you wouldn’t want to read the inbox of a P5 head coach. You just wouldn’t.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

digits said:

chuck said:

He was the offensive coordinator for Indiana in 2019 and vastly improved their offense. Then it fell off a cliff when he left.

Indiana's recruiting is terrible. I will reserve judgment until I see who he hires for his staff, but I really hope he doesn't make the massive error of bringing in most of his Fresno Staff with him.

digits said:

chuck said:

Indiana's recruiting is terrible. I will reserve judgment until I see who he hires for his staff, but I really hope he doesn't make the massive error of bringing in most of his Fresno Staff with him.
    After the Jimmy disaster I gotta think Jen won't give another first time P5 coach free rein on staff decisions.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    He’s not going to recruit. Nasty hire.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    chuck said:

chuck said:

I understand that and am sure you're right. I'm of the opinion, though, that people who excel tend to excel at every level (like what DNC just posted). The same brains and drive that lead to 67-3 translate to the next level. That's the theory.
    There’s a big fucking difference in recruiting.