Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

PAC 12 doesn't have rivalry like SEC? coach search

2»

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

I've always said UW/UO is the closest thing to an SEC hate rivalry. I've never said it was the same as one. As for the relative intensity as measured by stupid people doing ridiculous things, ok, the southeastern US wins. As for the level of acrimony, I'd say UW/UO has nothing to apologize for. There is sufficient hate there for the average fan.

Also, not every rivalry in the south is as intense as Iron Bowl. The Florida/Georgia rivalry is not more jacked up than UW/UO IMO. Lots more drinking, sure. But do they hate each more than we? do? I don't think so.

To me, the mother of all rivalries is Michigan/Ohio State. That game truly matters to many people regardless of the situation. I want to attend that one before I kick the bucket.

Don't forget Texas/OU (they aren't SEC yet). That and Ohio State/Michigan are the two biggest legit shutdown entire states to watch a football game rivalries there are.
    I don’t know. The UConn vs UMass game is huge.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,264
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Would have been interesting if they played in Husky Stadium in 2001. Knowing the Pac-12 they forced that bye thinking the rivalry was too intense or so Oregon wouldn’t get beat

Remind me what that was about?
    I don't remember, but I do recall that there was a time earlier in this century where someone apparently deemed it illegal to play these games in Husky Stadium.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,720
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TheHB said:

Would have been interesting if they played in Husky Stadium in 2001. Knowing the Pac-12 they forced that bye thinking the rivalry was too intense or so Oregon wouldn’t get beat

I don't remember, but I do recall that there was a time earlier in this century where someone apparently deemed it illegal to play these games in Husky Stadium.
    The transformation to the Pac 10 in 1978 resulted in misses. It took the Pac 10 awhile to get their reads down so UW would miss Oregon like any other conference team. After that year they tweaked things where The NW schools played every year

The Pac 12 make the 4 California schools play every year despite being in different divisions
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,398
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2021

I believe after this the Pac-10 changed it so indirect rivalries like Oregon/Washington and the California schools against each other wouldn’t be allowed to not happen.

It shows early issues with the conference or a tilt to give Oregon and advantage. Oregon and UW were the clear 1-2 in the conference going into that season, rivals and Oregon knocked UW out of the national championship the year before and the conference allowed the game not to happen. Would have been a massive game.

Had they played Uw wins the conference if they can win in Husky Stadium. Obviously they don’t given the history of the series but Rick was mostly good against Oregon and Husky Stadium was actually kind of an equalizer back then.

The conference also didn’t have USC and UW happen in 2000 when they were the preseason 1-2.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    AOG said:

Your posts are usually shit and difficult to decipher. Are you griping about someone thinking that Auburn-Bama is a more heated rivalry than ours with the Ducks? Because you'd be hard pressed to effectively argue against that. Those fuckers hate each other.

I take umbrage at your first, not because it's false, but because accusing a man of a "difficult to decipher" post here is like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500. As far as your main point, you would be OK with an assistant from Dukks for head coach. No.
    You really should have just stuck with your Central Schtick. As it’s clear the TDS has penetrated the cortex and is prevalent in most lobes.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Oregon and Washington can't synch up to get a good rivalry going on the field since James showed up and left and Bellotti and the rest showed up at Oregon. Petersen was the chance but UW choked it out on the field. As usual. UW either wins by 4 TDs plus or loses. Loses a lot.

Off the field both programs have gentrified with stadium remodels and expensive tickets.

And yet it is an old and bitter series. We? joke about the 1948 vote by UW to send Cal to the Rose Bowl but that did happen. I took the family to Autzen in 1987 to see the semi annual Husky win there and Oregon broke a long home field losing streak to UW

Like Babs I feared for my life getting out of there and my wife is mad at me still for taking her there. That was a pretty southern crowd.

My dad sneered at the NW teams and got up for the Cal teams. So there is that subset of Husky fans that started the "Oregon isn't a rival" smack.

What we? need is to be playing every year for the North and to both be really good at the same time

Auburn has beat Nick more than any team. Often with bizarre plays. On national TV on Thanksgiving weekend

UW should be like Oklahoma and relegate WSU to non rival status and play Oregon on Thanksgiving

This. If you want to be Texas/OU big, then play it on White Oppressor Day and tell WSU to go tip cows.
  • AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,450
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Kaepsknee said:

AOG said:

Your posts are usually shit and difficult to decipher. Are you griping about someone thinking that Auburn-Bama is a more heated rivalry than ours with the Ducks? Because you'd be hard pressed to effectively argue against that. Those fuckers hate each other.

I take umbrage at your first, not because it's false, but because accusing a man of a "difficult to decipher" post here is like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500. As far as your main point, you would be OK with an assistant from Dukks for head coach. No.
    You really should have just stuck with your Central Schtick. As it’s clear the TDS has penetrated the cortex and is prevalent in most lobes.
    It's not a schtick. I just gave up on big time cfb mostly.
  • HarbaughKhakisHarbaughKhakis Member Posts: 104
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

Let an employee of the Bama Athletic Department change their Twitter profile to #ScoDucks #WarEagle and you'll see how our? rivalry pales in comparison theirs.

^^^^^ THIS
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited November 2021

Oregon and Washington can't synch up to get a good rivalry going on the field since James showed up and left and Bellotti and the rest showed up at Oregon. Petersen was the chance but UW choked it out on the field. As usual. UW either wins by 4 TDs plus or loses. Loses a lot.

Off the field both programs have gentrified with stadium remodels and expensive tickets.

And yet it is an old and bitter series. We? joke about the 1948 vote by UW to send Cal to the Rose Bowl but that did happen. I took the family to Autzen in 1987 to see the semi annual Husky win there and Oregon broke a long home field losing streak to UW

Like Babs I feared for my life getting out of there and my wife is mad at me still for taking her there. That was a pretty southern crowd.

My dad sneered at the NW teams and got up for the Cal teams. So there is that subset of Husky fans that started the "Oregon isn't a rival" smack.

What we? need is to be playing every year for the North and to both be really good at the same time

Auburn has beat Nick more than any team. Often with bizarre plays. On national TV on Thanksgiving weekend

UW should be like Oklahoma and relegate WSU to non rival status and play Oregon on Thanksgiving

No one outside the NW would care.

Just like the AC.

The 2019 AC had 300,000 moar viewers than the UO UW gayme this year.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,720
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kaepsknee said:

Just like the AC.

You're lucky anyone watches the AC at all

Relegating WSU to second tier rival has the benefit of upsetting Cuog fans as well
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Kaepsknee said:

Just like the AC.

Well the UW/Oregon game, being played at night, doesn't help with the East Coast demographics. Even then, I have a hard time believing that ... there's more chatter on the network/cable shows about UW/Oregon than there ever is about the Apple Cup. Certainly not equal to or above the great national rivalries, but I would say UW/Oregon is a rivalry that is noted and discussed on national level. Nobody is saying "huh? what?", like they do about the "Apple Cup." That one I would agree is a total "WGAF?" But any conversation about the Pac 12 and those two teams will include reference to the hate.